Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was just thinking of how much English accents sound like a bunch of snakes. I thought of this before while listening to a choir sing, and I started paying attention to the way they pronounce and use the letter "s" when speaking. Snakes, I say.

Anyway, if you listen to like a choir that sings... You will notice that they stress the "s" sound. The best example I can give is to tell you to say these words out loud. Cystic Cirrhosis. Okay, see how you stressed the "s" in those words? To me, when there are a lot of words like that, they remind me of a sound a snake makes..Ssssssssss.

Reactions: Chesterton

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I noticed (at least where I live) that people ignore the 't' sound (that's probably standard American English). Like, cotton is said 'caugh-en.'

I was watching this accent tag, and that's when I became self-conscious of my own accent. I didn't know that people say 'hundred' as hun-dread. Here in Wyoming, I've always heard it said 'hun-nerd'. Maybe this is the same in the South?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I was just thinking of how much English accents sound like a bunch of snakes. I thought of this before while listening to a choir sing, and I started paying attention to the way they pronounce and use the letter "s" when speaking. Snakes, I say.

Anyway, if you listen to like a choir that sings... You will notice that they stress the "s" sound. The best example I can give is to tell you to say these words out loud. Cystic Cirrhosis. Okay, see how you stressed the "s" in those words? To me, when there are a lot of words like that, they remind me of a sound a snake makes..Ssssssssss.

The history and evolution of the English language, including its many varieties, is a hobby of mine. There are many different English accents/dialects. I'm not aware of any English accent which puts special emphasis on the 's' sound.

What I suspect you are hearing is a heavy emphasis on clear enunciation as a result of choral training. This is particularly possible with the more professional choral groups presenting classical (or religious) material.
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's used to drive me crazy!! We would be singing hymns in church and I would become aware of the S sounds all over the place. It was so hard not to start laughing and made me want to skip all the words with S's in them. ^_^

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Says the guy whose name is Bortsss. Lol

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,745.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've always been fascinated with languages and love to hear them spoken with their varying dialects. I've studied French and have travelled in France, Canada and even parts of Belgium where I have heard varieties of it spoken.

Here in England, you only have a travel a short distance until you hear a dramatic change in accent. It only takes 20 minutes for me to get to work but the accent spoken by people at work differs radically to that spoken in my own town, even the intonation and the words used. About an hour or so from me is Wales where English is spoken with a distinctive lilt and where a lot of people still use Welsh as a first language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
American accent from the 50's to the 80's is one of the best, up there with the British accent.
Interesting comment.. How is the current American accent different? I know that in many old movies they used a fake "American" accent which was intentionally meant to be a cross between American and British to sound more sophisticated. But that was like the 30's to 50's I think.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Slang tends to refer to the informal words and phrases used by a particular group in place of the standard terminology.

Although it might be spoken with a particular accent, slang is more about the actual words.

OB

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Slang tends to refer to the informal words and phrases used by a particular group in place of the standard terminology.

Although it might be spoken with a particular accent, slang is more about the actual words.

OB
Thank you for sharing!

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly I have a pretty bad ear for accents.

As far as accents, the British one sounds phony and like it was artificially created by the upper class to sound more superior.

The north American one is more down to earth and humble while the southern one is full of grace and hospitality.

While the Australian accent sounds like someone who would knife you in the streets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
As far as accents, the British one sounds phony and like it was artificially created by the upper class to sound more superior.
You have it backwards. The accent only 'sounds' superior because it is spoken by people who are perceived (by some) as superior. Even the Queen's English is just another dialect out of the hundreds of dialects used across Britain.

The north American one is more down to earth and humble while the southern one is full of grace and hospitality.
There are a lot of 'North American' accents. As an example I would hardly describe the classic New York dialect as 'down to earth and humble'.

This map suggests 24 recognisable dialects within mainland US..
This Map Shows How Americans Speak 24 Different English Dialects

image.jpg

While the Australian accent sounds like someone who would knife you in the streets.
What else would you expect from a country originally started by criminals? :(

OB

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0