Abraham bought a tomb from the sons of Hamor?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before Stephen was stoned, he said about the bodies of the patriarchs in Acts 7:

16 Their bodies were brought back to Shechem and placed in the tomb that Abraham had bought from the sons of Hamor at Shechem for a certain sum of money.
But then, Genesis 23:

1 Sarah lived 127 years; these were the years of the life of Sarah. 2b And Sarah died at Kiriath-arba (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan
10 Now Ephron was sitting among the Hittites, and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in the hearing of the Hittites, of all who went in at the gate of his city, 11“No, my lord, hear me: I give you the field, and I give you the cave [P1] that is in it. In the sight of the sons of my people I give it to you. Bury your dead.”
Then Ephron revealed the price.

16 Abraham agreed to Ephron’s terms and weighed out for him the price he had named in the hearing of the Hittites: four hundred shekels of silver, according to the weight current among the merchants.
19 After this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah east of Mamre (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan.
Abraham bought P1 from Ephron the Hittite for a burial site. It does not say that he brought it from the sons of Hamor, who were Hivites (Genesis 34:2).

Genesis 33:

18 After Jacob came from Paddan Aram, he arrived safely at the city of Shechem in Canaan and camped within sight of the city. 19 For a hundred pieces of silver, he bought from the sons of Hamor, the father of Shechem, the plot [P2] of ground where he pitched his tent.
Jacob bought P2 from the sons of Hamor, not Abraham. Before he died, he instructed his sons in Genesis 49:

29b “I am about to be gathered to my people. Bury me with my fathers in the cave in the field of Ephron the Hittite, 30the cave in the field of Machpelah, near Mamre in Canaan, which Abraham bought along with the field as a burial place from Ephron the Hittite. 31 Then Abraham and his wife Sarah were buried, there Isaac and his wife Rebekah were buried, and there I buried Leah. 32 The field and the cave in it were bought from the Hittites.
They buried Jacob in P1. On the other hand, Joshua 24:

32 And Joseph’s bones, which the Israelites had brought up from Egypt, were buried at Shechem in the tract of land that Jacob bought for a hundred pieces of silver from the sons of Hamor, the father of Shechem. This became the inheritance of Joseph’s descendants.
They buried Joseph's bones at P2.

Did Abraham buy a tomb from the sons of Hamor?

If he did, it wasn't recorded in the OT. Stephen gave a quick and dirty summary of Genesis 33:19, 49:29, and Joshua 24:32 in Acts 7:16. His hearers, including Paul, seemed okay with that handy simplification.

Was Acts 7:16 inspired?

Stephen was an inspired person. Luke was also.

Did the Holy Spirit directly inspire the words of Acts 7:16?

I don't know.

2 Timothy 3:

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness.
Even if Stephen made an oversimplification error in his summary statement, it does not affect my training in righteousness. It is not that big a deal to me in terms of living a sincere life.

Some dozens of verses later, at the end of Stephen's speech:

54 On hearing this, the members of the Sanhedrin were enraged, and they gnashed their teeth at him. 55 But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked intently into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56“Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”
These last words of Stephen were explicitly inspired by the Spirit: things that he could not have known otherwise.

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,340.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
:wave:Interesting...
Luke's words is written to provide an account of the things that happened after Jesus resurrection, what happened is Stephen was stoned for his belief in the resurrection. The first witness to die for the testimony that Jesus is alive:clap:

Upvote 0