Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think I've been misled this whole time. Currently New Zealand is debating whether Abortion should be less strict than it currently is. Now, I always said Abortion should never happen as I thought that my personal opinion aligned with God. However, I just read something regarding Abortion (I've never read the Bible although I should) on a website and apparently Anti-Abortion is a Zealot Following. Are Zealots Christians? I know they believe in a God but I'm not sure if they're followers of Jesus Christ or if they follow the Bible.

I also heard that God wasn't entirely pro-life and the website I looked at used Bible Quotes and used references to when pregnant women were killed, etc.

So, my debate is around Abortion. Is Abortion really bad?
I mean when I hear Zealot, I sometimes will recall one of the Jewish sects around the time of Jesus' alleged life, rooted in a revolutionary mindset of sorts for a rough summary of their distinction, wanting to take back Judea

Abortion in itself is not bad, I'd argue, but we'd have to qualify elective versus spontaneous, because the latter is tragic, but not bad in the sense of someone making a bad decision (unless you attribute that decision to God who would likely have been the cause of it in some sense)

Elective abortions are only bad if you attribute a few things to the situation: 1) the zygote/embryo/fetus is functionally and morally equal to the mother, 2) her bodily autonomy is suspended during pregnancy and any attempt to remove the zygote/embryo/fetus would be seen as an attack on said zygote/embryo/fetus and 3 <optional>) you think that the circumstances of the pregnancy/conception are irrelevant to whether that changes the moral considerations of the abortion process

Also, you conflate any killing with murder for some pathos rhetoric, because of that gut reaction we have to the word murder, like with rape.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Children are too young to give consent or take responsibility whether they are in utero, 2 or 6 years old. If a 6-year-old steals from a store or is truant from school the parent gets the blame not the child.

They are human life from the moment of conception.
Life Begins at Fertilization with the Embryo's Conception
As another poster noted, human life is not the same as a human being or more precisely a person, because they don't have meaningful autonomy, sentience or the like. A housecat has more right of life than a zygote or embryo would because it can survive on its own, provided its around 6 weeks or so, weaned from its mother, they're tough like that, even if feral life cuts their lifespan down a lot.

The protection of a zygote/etc is contingent on the mother consciously surrendering her bodily autonomy in a desire to either carry the child to term and raise it or give it up for adoption rather than going through with the abortion for similar pragmatic reasons, as well as being unwilling or feeling unqualified to raise a child or put it through the adoption process (which still sucks across the world, apparently)

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Because there are no pro-life women? :rolleyes:

No, just that their regard for women's autonomy seems pretty counter intuitive if they think women should be held to unreasonably higher standards in regards to sex and men, if they oppose abortion, will probably have some likelihood to have not actually been with a women sexually without paying them or getting them drunk so their judgment becomes impaired. In short, resentment about how women don't just "do what they're supposed to" according to their misogynistic attitude

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You came into the conversation out of context. I was responding to NxNW about the claims people make by using the bible examples that God is evil. Therefore, it is only fair that I can use the same bible to show these examples in context that God is not evil and including his nature and that they cannot apply human views of morality onto God as there are things we cannot know or understand. You cannot apply science to the bible in that way nor can you apply it to morality.

I'd argue that again, until you can demonstrate the god in question exists, it's all unevidenced assertion regardless. You may as well be arguing about whether Darth Vader was good or evil based on what was written about him in the Star Wars scripts.

And you can certainly apply science to any testable claim the bible makes. The key word is testable though. That being said, if all you have to go on is untestable claims, then you are probably not justified in believing the claims to begin with.

God didn’t create evil people. People make themselves evil. Evil cannot exist unless someone acts evil.

That's a cop out. If god is all knowing and created people (as virtually all christians believe), then he created them both with the capacity to be evil, and with the foreknowledge that they would become evil in time. That puts the ultimate responsibility back on him. He could have made people who would not have chosen to commit evil deeds.

And before you try to argue the free will rebuttal, it doesn't apply. I am not a serial killer, and I would never choose to become a serial killer. Theoretically I could become a serial killer, but I would never make the decision to do so. That's just the way my brain is wired.

If god created me that way, then he could have created everyone else with similar wiring so that they wouldn't ever become serial killers. Likewise, this argument can be used for any evil behaviour.

If he decided to create people wired to become serial killers one day, knowing that they'd go out on a murder spree at some point, then ultimately that's on him too. He could have created people not to do that, and decided to do so anyway.

How do you measure that basic morality objectively

I addressed this in slightly more detail in another post, but it largely is based upon well-being. That's not to say there aren't possibly grey areas, but the vast majority of moral questions really aren't that hard to figure out, and a god is not needed to do so.

Not if they were given free will. God respects our free will and if he kept interfering in our lives and denying our right to free choice then we would not be humans capable of love but puppets. Just because God is all knowing does not mean he can interfere with things. He is all things.

You can not have all things happening according to gods plan, and have free will at the same time. They are mutually exclusive propositions. It's a contradiction to say both are happening at the same time.

For example, could you ever decide to do something that doesn't align with god's plan?

If yes, then not all things happen according to god's plan.
If no, then you don't have free will.

If God created people with free will and they choose to do evil and God warned them of the consequences and then they still choose to reject God and do evil He has every right to make judgment and punish evil doers. God set down the law and the bible is clear that everyone knows Gods laws in their hearts and their conscience so are without excuse. It also mentions that all know about God through nature, so it is not as if we have a clear choice of whether to acknowledge God of deny him.

Romans 2:15

They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

Romans 1:18-21
1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness, 19 because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts and their senseless hearts were darkened.

I can do that too...

Ephesians 1:11 - All things are done according to God's plan and decision; and God chose us to be his own people in union with Christ because of his own purpose, based on what he had decided from the very beginning.

So what you have is a biblical contradiction. All things are done according to god's plan based on what he decided in the beginning. That means anyone that "chose" to reject him was acting in accordance with the plan that god decided on right from the start.

If the people that rejected god were acting in accordance with the plan that god himself devised, then it was god's decision to have those people reject him. It would therefore be heinously immoral and sadistic to kill and then torture those people in the afterlife.

That does not work as explained above. The point is people claim God is evil. The moment they do that they are taking an objective position like they know everything like God. They are playing God when they do this and yet they say God is wrong when he plays God and judges objectively. If anyone is in more of a position to do this, it is God who actually knows all the circumstances to judge fairly and justly.

Nonsense. I don't know everything about Jeffrey Dahmer, however I don't need to know everything about his life story or personality to know he committed evil acts.

To say you can't make a moral judgment about a person (or god) until you have a complete and total understanding of that person or thing is silly. If morality has an objective basis, then god is also bound to that moral standard. If he commits an evil or immoral act, he's not excused from it because he has immense power.... if anything he should be held to a higher standard than we are.

No I would not assume and that is what some atheist do when they make accusations against God. They assume that events happened a certain way according to they perspective. But that is contradictory to subjectivity where everyone has a different perspective and there is no way to objective determine what is ultimately right or wrong.

As mentioned above God created us with free will. Where there is good there is evil and where there is love there is hate. Otherwise these things have no meaning. Yet these things define us and allow us to love and be loved and we know that potentially life is worth living rather than not existing. So maybe that is just the way it must be for us to be here.

I do not know exactly how evil and sin came into the equation. All I know is we are all sinners and we cannot overcome sin and make ourselves right with God without Christ sacrifice and being born again.

Citation needed

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God didn’t create evil people. People make themselves evil. Evil cannot exist unless someone acts evil.
An omnipotent god could have created humans with the ability to choose to do acts that we call evil, but without any desire to do so. Free will. No evil acts.

The fact that this isn’t the case indicates that if an omnipotent god exists, this god wanted evil acts to occur more than not.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave Ellis
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You can not have all things happening according to gods plan, and have free will at the same time. They are mutually exclusive propositions. It's a contradiction to say both are happening at the same time.

For example, could you ever decide to do something that doesn't align with god's plan?

If yes, then not all things happen according to god's plan.
If no, then you don't have free will.

I can do that too...

Ephesians 1:11 - All things are done according to God's plan and decision; and God chose us to be his own people in union with Christ because of his own purpose, based on what he had decided from the very beginning.

So what you have is a biblical contradiction. All things are done according to god's plan based on what he decided in the beginning. That means anyone that "chose" to reject him was acting in accordance with the plan that god decided on right from the start.

If the people that rejected god were acting in accordance with the plan that god himself devised, then it was god's decision to have those people reject him. It would therefore be heinously immoral and sadistic to kill and then torture those people in the afterlife.

Look at this:

549.GIF

This is a chess position that has been mathematically proven to be a forced win for white, in at most 549 moves.

There are millions, billions, probably even more different ways it could play out, but they all end the same with perfect play by white - black is checkmated.

Just because the ending is already known doesn't mean that black couldn't choose to do any number of different things in order to get there.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God's plan is the overall long term picture and anything that affects that. Your small day to day decisions doesn't affect that or your free will.

If a certain person is meant to do something God will make sure he or she gets to where they can do it, but the journey to it may change.

Joseph was meant to become ruler in Egypt to help stop starvation of the Israelites. Not that he knew this to begin with, you don't see it until you read over the whole thing because that was the larger picture coming to fruition. The journey to becoming a ruler was filled with potholes, some caused by other people's sin. God even used their sin to continue the plan.
He didn't cause them to sin or need them to sin, but the sin happened and God used it to further the plan. If the brothers had not thrown Joseph down a well and sold him, God would have found a different way for Joseph to go to Egypt, but God already foresaw it, he knew they would do this. He knows everything that has happened and will happen.

The chess example is a good one. Black had many varieties of moves he could make, only the ending was the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
God's plan is the overall long term picture and anything that affects that. Your small day to day decisions doesn't affect that or your free will.

If a certain person is meant to do something God will make sure he or she gets to where they can do it, but the journey to it may change.

Joseph was meant to become ruler in Egypt to help stop starvation of the Israelites. Not that he knew this to begin with, you don't see it until you read over the whole thing because that was the larger picture coming to fruition. The journey to becoming a ruler was filled with potholes, some caused by other people's sin. God even used their sin to continue the plan.
He didn't cause them to sin or need them to sin, but the sin happened and God used it to further the plan. If the brothers had not thrown Joseph down a well and sold him, God would have found a different way for Joseph to go to Egypt, but God already foresaw it, he knew they would do this. He knows everything that has happened and will happen.

The chess example is a good one. Black had many varieties of moves he could make, only the ending was the same.

If the Biblical god exists It seems to have made a mess of things and has nothing of which to be proud.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,048,738.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the Biblical god exists It seems to have made a mess of things and has nothing of which to be proud.

Human beings made, and make, a mess of things. God created everything and saw that it was very good, Genesis 1:31.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,048,738.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no evidence to support that myth.

For you, maybe not.
I'm a Christian and believe the Bible. The evidence that there is a God and he is with me, is that he is with me - helping me, guiding and speaking to me.

Upvote 0

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
For you, maybe not.
I'm a Christian and believe the Bible. The evidence that there is a God and he is with me, is that he is with me - helping me, guiding and speaking to me.

I was a born again as a kid, but god never gave me any sign of its presence even though I begged it to. No wonder I lost my faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,048,738.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was a born again as a kid,

Great!
So how did you come to be born again, how did you know that you were and what happened after that?

but god never gave me any sign of its presence

What kind of sign did you want?
The Bible says that God created all things, including human beings, Genesis 1:1-31.
The Bible says that the first man only became a living being when God himself breathed life into him, Genesis 2:7.
The Bible says that all creation declares the glory, and the works, of God, Psalms 19:1.
The Bible says that God saw us before we were conceived and knows all about us, Psalms 139.
The Bible says that we are sinners, Romans 3:23, and that God sent Jesus to die for sinners, Romans 5:8.
So according to the Bible, our life, and all the life we can see around us human, plant and animal, comes from God. God also knows and loves us, and wants us to have eternal life, John 6:40. No one can enter the Kingdom of God unless he is born again, John 3:3; no one can be born again unless they have God's Spirit, John 3:3 - and you were and did.

No wonder I lost my faith.

The Bible says that we live by faith and not by sight.
God gives us many evidences of his presence, but sometimes we miss them because we are looking only for the big dramatic miracle,"feelings" of warmth and happiness, or outward, dramatic signs like speaking in tongues.
I can't speak in tongues and I can't say I have often, if ever, felt that God is close to me. But the Bible says he is, and I believe it.

Upvote 0

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Great!
So how did you come to be born again, how did you know that you were and what happened after that?

What kind of sign did you want?
The Bible says that God created all things, including human beings, Genesis 1:1-31.
The Bible says that the first man only became a living being when God himself breathed life into him, Genesis 2:7.
The Bible says that all creation declares the glory, and the works, of God, Psalms 19:1.
The Bible says that God saw us before we were conceived and knows all about us, Psalms 139.
The Bible says that we are sinners, Romans 3:23, and that God sent Jesus to die for sinners, Romans 5:8.
So according to the Bible, our life, and all the life we can see around us human, plant and animal, comes from God. God also knows and loves us, and wants us to have eternal life, John 6:40. No one can enter the Kingdom of God unless he is born again, John 3:3; no one can be born again unless they have God's Spirit, John 3:3 - and you were and did.

The Bible says that we live by faith and not by sight.
God gives us many evidences of his presence, but sometimes we miss them because we are looking only for the big dramatic miracle,"feelings" of warmth and happiness, or outward, dramatic signs like speaking in tongues.
I can't speak in tongues and I can't say I have often, if ever, felt that God is close to me. But the Bible says he is, and I believe it.

If your religion works for you fine, but it never worked for me, and I am glad I lost it.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Look at this:

549.GIF

This is a chess position that has been mathematically proven to be a forced win for white, in at most 549 moves.

There are millions, billions, probably even more different ways it could play out, but they all end the same with perfect play by white - black is checkmated.

Just because the ending is already known doesn't mean that black couldn't choose to do any number of different things in order to get there.

Which is irrelevant... If all happens according to god's plan, then whatever moves black decides to make will also be predetermined by the plan.

The fact white will win is part of the plan, and all of the moves from both teams would also happen according to the plan. That's what "all happens according to god's plan" means.

If all happens according to god's plan, then there is only one sequence of moves that black can make from this point on until they are eventually checkmated. If god's plan has you moving the black rook forward three spaces on your next move, you don't really have any option. All you have is the illusion of a choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

But the bible does not say god's plan is the overall long term picture, it says all things happen according to god's plan based on what he decided at the beginning.

The reality is your solution doesn't work either, major events are made up of thousands of small decisions by people. It's like the butterfly effect, minor decisions or events can be critical. For example, if Franz Ferdinand's driver had not decided to change his route, the archduke likely would not have been assassinated. If he wasn't assassinated, then there's no catalyst for world war one. Without world war one, there's likely no rise of the nazi's, no second world war, no holocaust, etc. There's likely no communist revolution in Imperial Russia. The European monarchies wouldn't have fallen, and the European empires of the 1800's would have stayed in a dominant position of power for much longer, maybe even to the present day. The course of global politics was changed forever because of what side street Archduke Franz Ferdinand's driver decided to drive down at that particular time of day. You can't separate minor decisions from major events. It's all ultimately intertwined.

What major world leader never rose to power and changed the course of history, because he went into work five minutes later than planned and was killed in a car crash on the way? We'll never know, but I bet there's countless examples that if minor events went a slightly different way that we could find ourselves living in a very different world.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Human beings made, and make, a mess of things. God created everything and saw that it was very good, Genesis 1:31.

If he saw things were very good, knowing what would happen (as he's all knowing), then the current state of the world is what god intended it to be.

Upvote 0