Abortion opinions and the age of females .

I recently did a small study on my own on abortion and went around asking 20 women how they felt about abortion , and whether or not they had children . I come from a pretty diverse area that is not biased against anything , but due to the small number in my study it could have been just coincidence ( If their are any scientists out there feel free to copy this and tests it in your area )

The purpose of this test was to see if Age and experience affected a females personal beliefs on abortion .

Results -

--10 women were BELOW 25 years of age ( and no younger then 15 )--
none of them had any children .
8 girls approved of abortion
1 did not .
1 wasnt sure

--The 10 women that were ABOVE 25 years of age .--
only 2 of these women had not had children yet .
7 of these women disaproved of abortion
1 wasnt sure , and I was unable to get a clear answer . This was
one of the women that had not had children yet
2 approved of abortion . One of them was a women who had not had children yet and the other was .

I know my test wasnt large enough to really cover anything to be used as evidence , but it seems experience in life causes a women to be less likely to approve of abortion .

--my personal opinions . feel free to skip reading them--

This made me wonder - do people approve of abotion because they actually believe it is morally correct , or do they say it is moral because they want to have that option available and simply fool themselves into thinking its ok to kill an unborn baby rather then honestly thinking such things ? Younger women tend to see the world of growing up and having a child as something they are not ready for , while older women with experience know the joy of having children and realize that if they had an abortion their child that they love so much would not be alive today .

I personally concluded that fear of being forced to take responsibility that one is not ready for may have an affect on how women see abortion .

sorry in advance to everyone this offends . I was curious on abortion and had to investigate it on my own .

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
What questions did you ask them? Since variation in question can give different statistics.

For example if you asked,
Are you pro abortion?
You will get a different number than if you asked,
Are you pro choice?
Since there are many pro-choicers that see abortion as a last option (or maybe not at all), but they support the right for people to choose for themselves.

Then you also need to see if there might be other reasons for women who are more experienced to less likely approve of abortion. Such as older/more "traditional" values. So maybe include a question about what they were taught growing up, or something similar.
Racism is generally more apparent in an older population not because they are more experienced and know blacks aren't as good as whites, but because racism was more acceptable when they were growing up, thus they were more likely to be taught it.

Upvote 0
" do you believe abortion is a good thing or a bad thing ? "

and it was a pretty diverse community .

But one must admit that in order to get significant results this would have to have to be a much more widespread study that poll several differant high schools and several differant career choices . ( and religion of course )

Upvote 0

transientlife

lotus on the mount
Mar 21, 2004
✟1,724.00
Faith
Christian
slayer-2004 said:
I recently did a small study on my own on abortion and went around asking 20 women how they felt about abortion , and whether or not they had children . I come from a pretty diverse area that is not biased against anything , but due to the small number in my study it could have been just coincidence ( If their are any scientists out there feel free to copy this and tests it in your area )

The purpose of this test was to see if Age and experience affected a females personal beliefs on abortion .

Results -

--10 women were BELOW 25 years of age ( and no younger then 15 )--
none of them had any children .
8 girls approved of abortion
1 did not .
1 wasnt sure

--The 10 women that were ABOVE 25 years of age .--
only 2 of these women had not had children yet .
7 of these women disaproved of abortion
1 wasnt sure , and I was unable to get a clear answer . This was
one of the women that had not had children yet
2 approved of abortion . One of them was a women who had not had children yet and the other was .

I know my test wasnt large enough to really cover anything to be used as evidence , but it seems experience in life causes a women to be less likely to approve of abortion .
Interesting.
--my personal opinions . feel free to skip reading them--

This made me wonder - do people approve of abotion because they actually believe it is morally correct , or do they say it is moral because they want to have that option available and simply fool themselves into thinking its ok to kill an unborn baby rather then honestly thinking such things ?
I think part of it is that they just want the option, period- whether it is "moral" or "ok" or not.
Younger women tend to see the world of growing up and having a child as something they are not ready for ,
Quite a reasonable assertion.
while older women with experience know the joy of having children and realize that if they had an abortion their child that they love so much would not be alive today .
Probably carrying a kid to term and raising it does change your personal stances on abortion. Probably because you can personalize it more, you know?
I personally concluded that fear of being forced to take responsibility that one is not ready for may have an affect on how women see abortion .
Fear, social stigma, financial wellbeing, familial support...
I would suppose it would be harder to decide against abortion if you are seriously lacking in the familial support and are risking disappointing your family. As much as most people don't want to admit, they care what their parents think (to some extent) and try to not disappoint them.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
I think you may be reading too much into the statistics.
This is a good example why when doing statistics you also need to investigate what might sway the poll. To use the same example again, I guess young ladies aren't mature enough to realize that whites are better than blacks (since statistically older people are more likely to be racist than younger people).

JCBeliever said:
That's an interesting study, slayer-2004.
Seems there's alot of young ladies out there who are not mature enough, they don't seem to fully understand what abortion is. They think of themselves too much I guess, teenage girls are like that. I have a sister who's a perfect example.

Upvote 0
N

Nexus`

Experiance in life is broad. The girls you polled younger than 25 are the ones that most said they were ok with abortion. They're also the ones who were born after Roe vs Wade. The older women, the ones who were more against abortion, were the ones before or at the begining of Roe vs Wade.

The results of your poll, and the factor of the age groups indicates it more of a split in personal morals resulting from a change is societal morals.

And JC. Just as there are too many teens who think of nothing but themselves, there are too many conservative Christians whose concern seems to be focused on what's between a woman's legs.

I'm gonna start calling ppl like that the "Crotch Police".

"Crotch Police" is a registered trademark of Nexus`. Copyright 2004.

Reactions: Arikay
Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
And to dirrectly connect their supposed maturity level (which in a small sample, is unknown, and can't be assumed based on general statistics or opinion) with their views without further study, is faulty logic and just your opinion.

JCBeliever said:
Well Arikay, we are talking about young woman with little experience in life and who AREN'T as mature as older woman. It's not a statistic but a fact that most young people are less mature than adults. They'd sure like to think they're mature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
slayer-2004 said:
" do you believe abortion is a good thing or a bad thing ? "

and it was a pretty diverse community .
That's an awfully loaded question. I, for example, would be strongly inclined to answer "bad" to the query as phrased. However, had it read, "Do you believe the freedom to choose abortion is a good thing or a bad thing," I would answer "good."

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm both Pro-Life and Pro-Choice. I believe that abortion is immoral and should be avoided if at all possible. However, I believe it is ultimately up to the woman to decide what is right for her. I see nothing wrong with abortion in cases where the mother's life is at risk.

Upvote 0

Katydid

Just a Mom
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama
✟11,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First off, I am 27, now she said over 25, roe v. wade was done in what, the 60's or 70's which means you would have to be in your late 30's or your 40's to have even been BORN during the time of roe v. wade. Now, the rest of us, being over 25 and under 40 have never known a time when abortion wasn't legal. I think the key is that when you carry a child and feel it moving inside you, you will never look at another pregnancy as a "fetus". You know without a doubt that it is a life. The question then becomes, how important is that life? I am not going to say that maturity is the only factor, but I find it ridiculous that people become offended as soon as you mention maturity. No offense, but I think a person who has had children, a job, struggled to feed themselves and their family, is more mature than someone who has not had that responsibility. It is not something to be offended by, just a fact. I completely agree that in our society today, personal responsibility for actions seems to be hard to find.

Upvote 0

mpshiel

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2003
I've been told "Sodom" so I guess that's close eno
Visit site
✟11,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strange I did I similar survey:

I went around asking guys, Do you support mandatory castration for males who have unprotected sex and then leave the girl to face the consequences. And have you ever had unprotected sex?

Below 25:
Against mandatory Castration: 10 out of 10
Those who had unprotected sex 7 out of 10
Those who wanted to have unprotected sex but hadn't gotten the chance 2 out of 10
Those who don't have sex with girls 1 out of 10

What do you think this signifies in relationship to the earlier survey?

From 25-35 -
Those opposed: 9 out of 10
Those for: 1 out of 10

Those who had unprotected sex - 8 out of 10
Those who wanted to have unprotected sex but hadn't the chance - 1 out of 10
Those who refer to themselves as "professional virgins" - 1 out of 10.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums