Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No you don't. You have not met any of them. You are just drinking at the fountain of gossip about them. Most of the British press make up their stories. Even a cursory glance shows that the stories are speculative.

The plain and obvious fact is that none of us know them. They are almost totally invisible for most of the time.
That's fair to say, of course I don't know them personally and have never met them. Although I really don't follow the gossip at all, it just isn't something that I am interested in. I dislike how they have treated the institution of the monarchy and family, from the outside. Of course I don't know what goes on inside the family, none of us really do.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's fair to say, of course I don't know them personally and have never met them. Although I really don't follow the gossip at all, it just isn't something that I am interested in. I dislike how they have treated the institution of the monarchy and family, from the outside. Of course I don't know what goes on inside the family, none of us really do.

It's the institution of monarchy that is abhorrent. I'm not quite sure which one of these rich english are treating that blighted institution poorly, but without that "institution" they are just a rich english family and I care the same about them as any other rich english family -- exactly zero.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's the institution of monarchy that is abhorrent. I'm not quite sure which one of these rich english are treating that blighted institution poorly, but without that "institution" they are just a rich english family and I care the same about them as any other rich english family -- exactly zero.
OK. We can hold opposing views without any consequence.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,956.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, we don't know them - at all. All we are told comes from the tittle -tattle of the popular media. And they don't know them either.

If you 'don't really follow the gossip' how can you have such strong opinions about them, liking some and disliking others?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, we don't know them - at all. All we are told comes from the tittle -tattle of the popular media. And they don't know them either.

If you 'don't really follow the gossip' how can you have such strong opinions about them, liking some and disliking others?
Perhaps "dislike" is too strong of an emotion to use in this case, I was mostly using the terms to contrast the post before mine. I don't follow the gossip, but I do follow their actions in public and in global events that they are participating in their official capacities. Without knowing them I am still able to have an opinion on them and their actions taken in public, just as anyone can have an opinion of any public official without following tabloids. I can form opinions based on statements that they make directly, through their official channels, or through their actions that are visible on the world stage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,956.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yes, it was too strong. They are on the whole innocuous, harmless, mainly and by choice invisible. They are hounded mercilessly by media whose only interest is to make a living out of them. Remember that in one infamous case paparazzi hounded their mother - quite literally - to her death.

You have casually stated that you 'like' one of her sons and dislike the other, despite your admission that you know hardly anything about them. That strikes me as shallow.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You have casually stated that you 'like' one of her sons and dislike the other, despite your admission that you know hardly anything about them. That strikes me as shallow.

Not really. Most royalists don't care for Harry and Meghan. Unlike William, he married someone with connections and something to fall back on. He didn't have to dance to their tune. They left and came to America and got an agent. Since they're no longer working royals they don't have the financial constraints the others do. They can have businesses and do projects because it isn't a conflict of interest. They have options and flexibility without the demands or politics. Since they're self-supporting they're not subject to the same scrutiny or charges of freeloading.

Make no mistake they have it easier. The American media isn't in the monarchy's pocket or under a gag order and they don't bother them. Whereas the British media can't do the same. Their stories must be approved unless they're leaked to other outlets like Spain.

People who aren't legacy minded don't understand the realities of what the firm entails and the ruthlessness therein. This is what it takes to build a dynasty and maintain it.

When Elizabeth and Philip get back to England, Elizabeth receives a letter from her grandmother that warns her of the importance of the job she is about to assume.

"I have seen three great monarchies brought down from their failure to separate their personal indulgences from duty… While you mourn your father, you must also mourn someone else: Elizabeth Mountbatten, for she has now been replaced by another person, Elizabeth Regina. The two Elizabeths will frequently be in conflict with one another. The fact is, the crown must win—must always win," writes Queen Mary to her granddaughter.

It must always win. You mate with that in mind. You breed with that in mind. Your career and education are a reflection of that choice. Your friendships, hobbies and interests are a reflection of the system. Your philanthropy honors and upholds the philosophy. And your children do the same. Their companions are preselected or must be approved. This is the way great families operate and those who would be great follow suit. You don't have autonomy. You move within boundaries in a sphere and breaches are costly.

You will sacrifice much in that world. Longings, desires, connections and more. That isn't an environment that everyone could handle. It's easier when you're born into the system. It's all you know.

Everything looks good from the outside but would you do what she did to Charles? Deny the woman he loved and put another in her place. You need a lot of iron to pull that off and the majority don't have it. They're not cut from that cloth.

~bella

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not really. Most royalists don't care for Harry and Meghan. Unlike William, he married someone with connections and something to fall back on. He didn't have to dance to their tune. They left and came to America and got an agent. Since they're no longer working royals they don't have the financial constraints the others do. They can have businesses and do projects because it isn't a conflict of interest. They have options and flexibility without the demands or politics. Since they're self-supporting they're not subject to the same scrutiny or charges of freeloading.

Make no mistake they have it easier. The American media isn't in the monarchy's pocket or under a gag order and they don't bother them. Whereas the British media can't do the same. Their stories must be approved unless they're leaked to other outlets like Spain.

People who aren't legacy minded don't understand the realities of what the firm entails and the ruthlessness therein. This is what it takes to build a dynasty and maintain it.

When Elizabeth and Philip get back to England, Elizabeth receives a letter from her grandmother that warns her of the importance of the job she is about to assume.

"I have seen three great monarchies brought down from their failure to separate their personal indulgences from duty… While you mourn your father, you must also mourn someone else: Elizabeth Mountbatten, for she has now been replaced by another person, Elizabeth Regina. The two Elizabeths will frequently be in conflict with one another. The fact is, the crown must win—must always win," writes Queen Mary to her granddaughter.

It must always win. You mate with that in mind. You breed with that in mind. Your career and education are a reflection of that choice. Your friendships, hobbies and interests are a reflection of the system. Your philanthropy honors and upholds the philosophy. And your children do the same. Their companions are preselected or must be approved. This is the way great families operate and those who would be great follow suit. You don't have autonomy. You move within boundaries in a sphere and breaches are costly.

You will sacrifice much in that world. Longings, desires, connections and more. That isn't an environment that everyone could handle. It's easier when you're born into the system. It's all you know.

Everything looks good from the outside but would you do what she did to Charles? Deny the woman he loved and put another in her place. You need a lot of iron to pull that off and the majority don't have it. They're not cut from that cloth.

~bella
Oh the poor dears.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0