Move over Paul, I'm the chief of sinners
Sep 3, 2005
Nottingham
✟3,935.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Heya guys. Basically every week (or as near as possible) I am going to post a study going through the alphabet on Jesus Christ. So here goes........

A - Z of Jesus Christ: A: Advocate

One name for Jesus is Advocate. The word Advocate means "a professional pleader in a court of justice, one who pleads for another" (Chambers Compact Dictionary). This means that an advocate would appear in a court of justice to plead for someone who cannot plead for themselves.

What does it mean that Jesus is an Advocate?

This means that He pleads to the Father for those who cannot plead for themselves. Jesus can do this because He is the Son of God (Matthew 3 v17, Mark 1 v1). This means that because He is the Son of God He has the authority to plead on behalf of us. He is innocent and he fulfilled and obeyed the Law in all points (Hebrews 4 v 15). Because He has obeyed the Law and is without sin He can interced for us because He has no sin of His own to atone or plead for. He can also be an Adovcate because He is the Son of Man as well (Matthew 26 v 64, John 1 v 51, John 3 vs 13 - 14). He lived on earth for 33 years and knew what it was to. He knew what it was to be hungry (Matthew 25 v 35, Mark 2 v 25), he knew what it was to be thirsty (Matthew 25 v 35, Matthew 25 v 42, John 19 v 28) and tired. He also knew what it was to be tempted as we are but He did not sin (Hebrews 2 v 18, Hebrews 4 v 15). He knew what it was to weep also (John 11 v 35) and to be moved with compassion (Matthew 9 v 36, John 11 v 33).

What does it mean that Jesus is OUR Advocate?

This means that we have someone to plead for us in our defense. He can plead for us to the Father. We cannot plead for ourselves. Jesus can plead for us because He died on the Cross. As the old hymn puts it "Because the sinless Saviour died, my sinful soul is counted free, for God the Just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me". Jesus can plead for us because He has lived here on earth and He can sympathise with us (Hebrews 4 vs 14 - 16).

So in conclusion.....

An Advocate is a person who pleads for someone who cannot plead for themselves. Jesus is our Advocate if we are Christians. This means He can plead to the Father in our defence. He can do this because He is both the Son of God and Son of Man.

H

HumbleUnderdog

Good thread idea. As a first response on Jesus being an advocate, the more i think about it, the more I realize that it was just downright unfair for such an innocent person to suffer on our behalf, yet he still suffered on our behalf. And the more I think about that, the more thankful I am, though i don't think i could ever be thankful enough. His compassion was so tremendous, and maybe that could be lesson C.

Upvote 0