Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I love the end of the year reflection of how things have changed in your life: good or bad, there are lessons that we all learned and new experiences we have tried or explored.

What are some of the things that happened in your life this year that changed you?

I have many but tonight I thought of how my body changed and healed itself.
In the beginning of the year I re-injured back and spent countless hours at the emergency, and countless more seeing my doctor. I never felt physical pain like that before, and would go to sleep crying, wake up crying, and days where I couldn't walk because my back was so swollen and pain would radiate down my legs. But with time I healed and within 6 month I told myself I would run 200 miles. So I did, and when those miles finished I ran even more. I am physical stronger then I have ever been in my life. And though my back does hurt many times, I've learned more about my body, my health, and how to take care of myself this year. Mostly, I've learned how important your health is above all and without it, you feel so helpless. I am so thankful to God for giving me that strength but also the people in my life who helped me through it all.

I will get to more later, but I want to hear (read) your stories.

wannaberocker

Aug 26, 2012
✟15,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Beginning of the year i felt very scared and uncertain about my professional future. I didnt have a job or a career. I was one of those people holding a degree, without a job. Then in April i got my first interview in almost a year. And i got the job, it paid almost double what i was expecting.

At the end of the year. I can say i feel a lot more secure career wise. I feel like im gaining valuable experience. My job is tough and an absolute pain in the butt at times. But im glad i have work and am secure career wise and financially. So i am thankful to God for that.

Upvote 0

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
At the beginning of the year I had a stable job and income, and when I lost that, I learned a lot about myself. I learned that I am much stronger than I thought I was, how to stretch a dollar, what is imporant in life, how to count my blessings, how to enjoy the little things, how to be thankful for what I have and not whine over what I do not. I learned that above all else, my family and the man that I am in love with will always be there for me. This year I was stretched like a rubber band and I am hoping that this year to come I can take on a new shape and not be streched so much.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
well, I drank less this year than the year before. but wait, there's still time. and I do think these holidays cover some of that account last year. I'm not sure if cutting back really counts though since my tolerance went down or maybe up and it takes less to satisfy. as I eat my 11th tums, I'm sure the party poopers will feel justice has been satisfied in my case of having a little too much of the local music topped with the local brew. I feel like a hobbit. I am proud to have cut back on the local pipeweed. g'night all.

Upvote 0

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Short version: A year ago, I never imagined I would be where I am, doing what I am, experiencing all that I have. It all being sparked, inspired, whatever, by being brave and telling someone how I felt, about a year ago. This last year has taught me who I am, and helped me become a better person overall. I have a happiness, understanding and contentness that I never thought I'd experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PetLuv

CrazyVille, population: You
Feb 12, 2006
LaLa Land
✟11,575.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
In some ways it has been bad, I lost my job and had one of the worst heartbreaks I can recall having.

In other ways it has been wonderful, I am finding more balance within my emotions where-as last year I didn't feel emotions at all, and I am generally happy in spite of the above problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,802.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The ear didn't start well. There were two major hits to my self esteem. My crush, F.L., decided that a friend was more helpful to her than I was with her English course work, and let me go. To have been inadequate in an area that I consider a specialty when my crush was involved was extremely painful. Then a few weeks later, my sister, four years my junior, moved out of the house and in with her boyfriend. Someone who's younger than I am accomplishing that right of passage first was really tough. But then things got better. I graduated from university at long last, and then got my driver's license a couple of weeks later. Two signficnt accomplishments that improve my self-esteem greatly. :)

Now I ust feel stuck. I don't know how to move forward with getting a good career and being able to move out myself. Most of the job opportunties that I'm looking at are out of town, as are further educational programs. I have been going to career workshops lately, and while that has gven me some interesting suggestions, it only reinforces how badly I need to get out of this town.

Upvote 0

Rose of Eden

Queen of CF and Child of God
Sep 22, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟22,366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I feel like so much has happened in the last year. I think back to a year ago and who I was back then and it seems like a lifetime ago, like a dream. And yet, life seems to have brought me back to similar place, but with a different perspective, sort of.

In the last year, I loved and lost. I felt the highs of what I truly believed was love. I felt the crippling, piercing pains of heartache like nothing I've ever felt before. I took risks. I traveled. I started law school. I pushed and challenged myself more than I ever have in my life. I learned to start loving my body. I stopped caring what people thought of me. For the first time in my life, I started to realize who I truly am, how God truly made me to be.

And I have so much more to learn.

Upvote 0
T

TheUnforeseen

Well, apart from being unemployed for most of the year, I must say I have learnt alot in life so far...

- Don't waste time! Time is precious and every minute can be used for something. If you're finding yourself sitting there bored on the computer or something, turn it off an go and do something more constructive. We need to keep our minds active and great things can happen when we invest time into hobbies etc.

- I struggled being a shy guy who was self conscious and lacked confidence for most of my teenage years [not going into detail], but I've learnt that you shouldn't worry about problems or negative aspects in your life. I've learnt that through the great friends I've made online that they don't care about such things, to know they really value your individual worth is just really an amazing and positive feeling. It really gives you hope. As a person, I feel I've grown ever so stronger this year.

- When chores etc. come up, do them as soon as they come up rather then putting them off. Makes things alot easier and you get rid of that off your shoulders.

- I've learnt to look at things very positively. Things will arise in life whether good or bad, there's nothing we can do about it, but when they do arise, it's how we answer them which matters. Looking at things positively gets rid of any worry or negativity in your life and you end up being much happier.

- Put time and focus into the things you do have. I so used to focus on things I didn't have and wasted the present time. I was unsure of where I was going, but whence I began to invest my time into things I have [specifically music] I have progressed so much. Belief within oneself will take you to new heights.

- When you get into conflict with other people, seek forgiveness ASAP. That way it doesn't drag out over time where it may be too late or it burdens your conscious.

I might add more later, but those are a few things I've learnt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eckhart

Aug 16, 2012
✟863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This year I fell in love with The Lord, understood the first commandment and the second from the love of the first.
At the very start of this year, new years eve and the following new year week The Lord destroyed everything that I was worshipping, "don't gamble with the devil" he would tell me, "you're going to hell, you feel embarassed infront of your Father". He was very angry and destroyed my idols and the idols my former friends had. I felt bad that my friends loss which was quite serious but believe that it was to show us how sovereign the Lord is.
I thought that he had me trapped and was full of frustration and craving and depression, (these quickly turned to love) but it was being called home after being lost. I wouldn't say I am born again, I feel like a one year old baby Christian and on the 1st of Feb. 2013 I spent a whole year

Upvote 0

Victory of the Cross

Jesus is the Word of God
Mar 3, 2005
✟41,510.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
This year I've seen how following the Gospels message is not only something which is rarely taught, but is something that can radically change your life for the better.

this year i've stripped my life free of doctrine and dogma and focused just on the message Jesus gave, my walk with God grows stronger each day and my love for humanity now is a huge factor in my life.

to love people as God loves them, friend of saint and sinner alike is my life goal

Upvote 0

r035198x

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
✟13,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good year for me. Went on several holiday breaks with friends, made new very close friends, attended (and spoke at) many Church conferences, completed an important certification in my career path, did very well at my job (finished all projects on time). Then towards the end of the year I started chatting with someone more and more and now she calls me boyfriend and I call her girlfriend. We are still in the early phases but it looks very promising. The only negative I can think of is that I didn't save as much money as I had intended to. I'll make that top priority for next year together with making more time to get closer to my family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Beginning of the year i felt very scared and uncertain about my professional future. I didnt have a job or a career. I was one of those people holding a degree, without a job. Then in April i got my first interview in almost a year. And i got the job, it paid almost double what i was expecting.
.....[/SIZE]
I'm glad you got a job and I understand its hard but you are a tough guy and I know you can get through it all!

... my family and the man that I am in love with will always be there for me. This year I was stretched like a rubber band and I am hoping that this year to come I can take on a new shape and not be streched so much.

Thank God for family!

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'll have to think about this. Right now I kinda feel like I'm sitting exactly where I was 12 months ago :/
I think you have accomplished a lot!

Short version: A year ago, I never imagined I would be where I am, doing what I am, experiencing all that I have. It all being sparked, inspired, whatever, by being brave and telling someone how I felt, about a year ago. This last year has taught me who I am, and helped me become a better person overall. I have a happiness, understanding and contentness that I never thought I'd experience.

So happy for you!

In other ways it has been wonderful, I am finding more balance within my emotions where-as last year I didn't feel emotions at all, and I am generally happy in spite of the above problems.
Losing a job is indeed painful but I love seeing the hope in your post. I hope God blesses you even more next year and you find more peace in your heart!

... I graduated from university at long last, and then got my driver's license a couple of weeks later. Two signficnt accomplishments that improve my self-esteem greatly. :)

Congratulations on both account. Thats amazing. I hope next year is better for you Michael, and mostly you stop being so focused on being single that you live and enjoy your life. Maybe then you might find someone.

And I have so much more to learn.

Heart break is so painful. I know that feeling and lived through it when I thought I couldn't. Time really heals wounds, but also people who help you through it. I'm glad you learned much about your life and doing something that you love (law school).

Well, apart from being unemployed for most of the year, I must say I have learnt alot in life so far...

- Don't waste time! Time is precious and every minute can be used for something. If you're finding yourself sitting there bored on the computer or something, turn it off an go and do something more constructive. We need to keep our minds active and great things can happen when we invest time into hobbies etc.

- I struggled being a shy guy who was self conscious and lacked confidence for most of my teenage years [not going into detail], but I've learnt that you shouldn't worry about problems or negative aspects in your life. I've learnt that through the great friends I've made online that they don't care about such things, to know they really value your individual worth is just really an amazing and positive feeling. It really gives you hope. As a person, I feel I've grown ever so stronger this year.

- When chores etc. come up, do them as soon as they come up rather then putting them off. Makes things alot easier and you get rid of that off your shoulders.

- I've learnt to look at things very positively. Things will arise in life whether good or bad, there's nothing we can do about it, but when they do arise, it's how we answer them which matters. Looking at things positively gets rid of any worry or negativity in your life and you end up being much happier.

- Put time and focus into the things you do have. I so used to focus on things I didn't have and wasted the present time. I was unsure of where I was going, but whence I began to invest my time into things I have [specifically music] I have progressed so much. Belief within oneself will take you to new heights.

- When you get into conflict with other people, seek forgiveness ASAP. That way it doesn't drag out over time where it may be too late or it burdens your conscious.

I might add more later, but those are a few things I've learnt.

Great advice!

This year I fell in love with The Lord, understood the first commandment and the second from the love of the first.
At the very start of this year, new years eve and the following new year week The Lord destroyed everything that I was worshipping, "don't gamble with the devil" he would tell me, "you're going to hell, you feel embarassed infront of your Father". He was very angry and destroyed my idols and the idols my former friends had. I felt bad that my friends loss which was quite serious but believe that it was to show us how sovereign the Lord is.
I thought that he had me trapped and was full of frustration and craving and depression, (these quickly turned to love) but it was being called home after being lost. I wouldn't say I am born again, I feel like a one year old baby Christian and on the 1st of Feb. 2013 I spent a whole year

Thats beautiful Evie!

This year I've seen how following the Gospels message is not only something which is rarely taught, but is something that can radically change your life for the better.

this year i've stripped my life free of doctrine and dogma and focused just on the message Jesus gave, my walk with God grows stronger each day and my love for humanity now is a huge factor in my life.

to love people as God loves them, friend of saint and sinner alike is my life goal
:)

and r035198x - Congratulations! I am happy for you.

Upvote 0

m.a.r.X

Just keep goin !
May 16, 2012
India
✟14,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
CF !!! It has been a good distraction :p from the issues I was facing. The support I got was immense.
Also got a good friend to "skype" with. Yeah, I'm talking about you...YOU :D
Thank you :thumbsup:
And the prayers I received...incredible :bow:

But, the biggest thing happened was I got the courage to walk back to God...and say that I'm sorry. Lots of prayers, especially from my parents really helped on my journey.
It was tough....but here I am, in the lap of my shepherd :)

Then its the job. I had to wait two long years to get a job after resigning from my last one.
The salary is low but the manager has promised me of a raise after three months.
And I get to ride my brother's bike to work :cool:

So, it has been a great year. I can only be grateful for all the love and prayers I received.
THANK YOU :hug:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
OK. I've thought about it a bit.

I'm healthier. A year ago, my diet sucked and I wouldn't have been able to tell you the last time I exercised. Now I'm 30 pounds lighter, in much better shape (though I'm slacking on the exercise thing ATM thanks to a busy December- something I intend to change this week). My diet has completely changed. I cannot stand fried or junkfood anymore.

I feel better about myself too. This is the first time in my life I've been able to look in the mirror and not be completely repulsed by the woman I see looking back at me. As a result, I also feel much more confident than I remember ever feeling.

I've also learned to push toxic people out of my life and stand up for myself. Its not easy, but it feels so freeing to remove yourself from negative and toxic people.

I am also much happier workwise. Last Christmas, I was in a very bad place, emotionally. I just remember being horribly depressed all through Christmas. Crying myself to sleep on Christmas Eve, etc... and my job played a huge role in that. I hated that place. This year I have a job that I really love, where I am respected and appreciated. It makes all the difference.

There was a lot I wanted to accomplish in the last year and didn't, but hey... Who knows what 2013 holds?

Upvote 0