Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
In addition to the Scriptures @dzheremi posted, there is also Hebrews 9:27:

Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment
Yes we will face the judgement, but the final judgement is the important one:

(New Testament | Revelation 20:12 - 15)

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In that case there will be a long time before the judgment. For some it has already been thousands of years.
So? They're dead. Time doesn't matter to them since they have no knowledge of time. The Bible refers to it as being asleep.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The body sleeps, the spirit goes to the spirit world.
The spirit returns to God, but without consciousness.

Ecclesiastes 9:4-6, 10
4 Anyone who is among the living has hope—even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!
5 For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even their name is forgotten.
6 Their love, their hate
and their jealousy have long since vanished;
never again will they have a part
in anything that happens under the sun.

10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

This is just another example of the teaching of the lds church contradicts the Bible. There are no second chances once you die. I'd rather believe the Bible than the false teachings of your church.

• Winner
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The spirit returns to God, but without consciousness.

Ecclesiastes 9:4-6, 10
4 Anyone who is among the living has hope—even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!
5 For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even their name is forgotten.
6 Their love, their hate
and their jealousy have long since vanished;
never again will they have a part
in anything that happens under the sun.

10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

This is just another example of the teaching of the lds church contradicts the Bible. There are no second chances once you die. I'd rather believe the Bible than the false teachings of your church.
I believe in the Bible, it also states this:

(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 8:8)

8 There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it.

(New Testament | 1 Peter 4:5 - 6)

5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

(New Testament | Luke 23:43)

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

(New Testament | 2 Corinthians 12:2 - 4)

2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

(New Testament | Luke 16:22 - 24)

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments
, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in the Bible, it also states this:
None of which support your position when read in context because none of them were actually dead. The beggar was a parable, illustrating one cannot change their life's decisions after they are dead. That actually disproves the lds "second chance gospel".

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
None of which support your position when read in context because none of them were actually dead. The beggar was a parable, illustrating one cannot change their life's decisions after they are dead. That actually disproves the lds "second chance gospel".
It is not a parable, Lazarus was a real person. Also it is unsure how long the rich man will have to stay in Hell.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not a parable, Lazarus was a real person. Also it is unsure how long the rich man will have to stay in Hell.
Take off the lds filter glasses and you may see your error. Can those in heaven speak to those in hell across "the great chasm", let alone cross the chasm to deliver a drop of water? No! Verse 26 of the parable tells you that the rich man cannot leave. I do not know why you think it is "unsure" how long he will be there. Is that one of those lds things where "cannot leave" doesn't necessarily mean he can't leave, similar to the Jesus created all things, but not necessarily "all things"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Take off the lds filter glasses and you may see your error. Can those in heaven speak to those in hell across "the great chasm", let alone cross the chasm to deliver a drop of water? No! Verse 26 of the parable tells you that the rich man cannot leave. I do not know why you think it is "unsure" how long he will be there. Is that one of those lds things where "cannot leave" doesn't necessarily mean he can't leave, similar to the Jesus created all things, but not necessarily "all things"?
Spirits have abilities that we don't have. They communicate through thoughts and can do so over great distances. Human concepts do not apply to spirits. Some people say the Bible is not true because it is not possible to turn water into wine. However Jesus was correct when He stated there was a great chasm and the rich man was able to communicate with Abraham. Jesus does not lie.

Do you understand the Hebrew word bara'? It means to form or shape. In the Old Testament it is translated as create. Some people mistakenly believe that God created something out of nothing. That is clearly a man made belief.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That is clearly a man made belief.

A 'man made belief' that's in the Bible:

I beg you, my child, to look at the heaven and the earth and see everything that is in them, and recognize that God did not make them out of things that existed. And in the same way the human race came into being. (2 Mac 7:28)

(Obligatory note: 2 Maccabees is in the canon of the Orthodox and Catholic churches, and always has been, and was included in Luther's canon despite his personal dislike of it.)

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spirits have abilities that we don't have. They communicate through thoughts and can do so over great distances. Human concepts do not apply to spirits.
You are just making things up. Where in the Bible does it say how spirits communicate?

Some people say the Bible is not true because it is not possible to turn water into wine. However Jesus was correct when He stated there was a great chasm and the rich man was able to communicate with Abraham.
Jesus was telling a story. His audience was the Pharisees ("The Pharisees, who loved money..." Luke 16:14). They believed that when they died they went straight to Abraham's bosom (their version of heaven). Jesus was making a point about one can't buy their way into heaven and that once they die, they can't change their fate. It also disproves the lds "second chance gospel" teachings.

Jesus does not lie.
How convenient for you to say that. Why do you not apply that to the lds claim of a "great apostasy"? If Jesus does not lie, then an alleged "great apostasy" never happened and there is no need for a "restoration". Which means there is no need for the lds church. Again, you might want to rethink your stance. You are not consistent with your stated beliefs.

Do you understand the Hebrew word bara'? It means to form or shape. In the Old Testament it is translated as create. Some people mistakenly believe that God created something out of nothing. That is clearly a man made belief.
That's funny. "Some people" are mistaken alright. But it's the lds who are mistaken. The Bible says Jesus created "all things", but the lds teach that "some things" always existed as matter and that Jesus just "reorganized" it. Remember your words above - "Jesus does not lie"? Well, the lds make Jesus a liar if he didn't create "all things" and just reorganized "some things".

Before you try to teach a Biblical concept, I suggest that you yourself first try to understand it without the lds spin.

• Winner
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

בָּרָא

So, please explain your qualification to make your pronouncement on the meaning of Hebrew terms. Have to taken courses in Hebrew? Can you translate Hebrew? Many Hebrew words can have more than one meaning depending on context. Have you studied all the passages using the term בָּרָא ?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
A 'man made belief' that's in the Bible:

I beg you, my child, to look at the heaven and the earth and see everything that is in them, and recognize that God did not make them out of things that existed. And in the same way the human race came into being. (2 Mac 7:28)

(Obligatory note: 2 Maccabees is in the canon of the Orthodox and Catholic churches, and always has been, and was included in Luther's canon despite his personal dislike of it.)
And it states: "in the same way the human race came into being."

(Old Testament | Genesis 2:7)

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You are just making things up. Where in the Bible does it say how spirits communicate?

He is the way said:
We know that Jesus was able to perceive thoughts:
(New Testament | Luke 5:22)

22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?
People who have seen the other side have stated that spirits communicate by thoughts.

Jesus was telling a story. His audience was the Pharisees ("The Pharisees, who loved money..." Luke 16:14). They believed that when they died they went straight to Abraham's bosom (their version of heaven). Jesus was making a point about one can't buy their way into heaven and that once they die, they can't change their fate. It also disproves the lds "second chance gospel" teachings.

How convenient for you to say that. Why do you not apply that to the lds claim of a "great apostasy"? If Jesus does not lie, then an alleged "great apostasy" never happened and there is no need for a "restoration". Which means there is no need for the lds church. Again, you might want to rethink your stance. You are not consistent with your stated beliefs.

He is the way said:
(Old Testament | Amos 8:11)

11 ¶ Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

That's funny. "Some people" are mistaken alright. But it's the lds who are mistaken. The Bible says Jesus created "all things", but the lds teach that "some things" always existed as matter and that Jesus just "reorganized" it. Remember your words above - "Jesus does not lie"? Well, the lds make Jesus a liar if he didn't create "all things" and just reorganized "some things".

He is the way said:
God did not create man out of nothing:

(Old Testament | Genesis 1:27)

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

(Old Testament | Genesis 2:7)

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status