• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured LDS A Visit to the LDS Temple

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by drstevej, Jun 4, 2018.

1. drstevej

drstevej Light Attracts Bugs Staff Member Chaplain Supporter

+23,475
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    A mile or so from me they are re-building a LDS temple and I hear upon completion they will have an open house to the public. Will they have a time for questions? Can I take pictures? If not, why?

I did not encounter such limits when I toured the Dome of the Rock, or Luther's church in Wittenburg or the Great Pyramid.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ Devoted to Truth Supporter

+10,743
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    What limits do they have? Not having a public meeting before completion may warrant concern imo

3. Jane_Doe

Jane_Doe Well-Known Member

+988
    Mormon
    LDS meeting houses (aka the local church) is a very different building/purpose than different an LDS temples.

Your local LDS church/meeting house is where church is held every Sunday. We have our worship service, partake of the Lord's Supper, study scriptures, etc. During the week there's events like youth group, basketball games, BBQ's, etc. Everything's open to everyone, and you're welcome to participate as much (or as little) as you'd like.

An LDS temple is actually closed on Sundays. There are no weekly worship services, no youth groups, etc. It's not a place anyone enters to just hang out. Rather, it's a place where an LDS person goes when they are ready to make special promises with the Lord. That's it's purpose.

Now of course, we LDS folks want to be friendly and welcoming. That's why when we build a new temple (or do major renovations) we before it's dedicated we open the place up to the public, give tours, explain things, answer questions, etc. :)

4. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+7,856
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Sacrament (bread and water) is intended for members only.

"As you know, the bread and water of the sacrament are meant for Church members so we can renew our baptismal covenants. However, we should not do anything during sacrament meeting to prevent nonmembers from partaking of the sacrament.

"It’s good to invite nonmember friends and family to church, and we want them to feel welcome and comfortable in our meetings. It would be helpful to prepare them for sacrament meeting by explaining the purpose of the sacrament and what will happen during the meeting. If they ask whether they should take the sacrament, simply tell them that they may choose to do so but that it is intended for Church members, who are renewing their baptismal covenants."
    Can nonmembers take the sacrament? - new-era

5. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ Devoted to Truth Supporter

+10,743
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I just realized it's a mormon questioning an lds ... nvmnd

6. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+7,856
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    What are you talking about? LDS are Mormons, one and the same.

7. Anto9us

Anto9us Ecumenical loose canon

+1,853
    United States
    Methodist
    Private
    US-Others
    IF drstevej takes pictures -- and NOTHING SHOWS UP IN THE PICTURES -- something like the handshake test may be going on...

I too questioned that "mormon questioning an lds"

Seriously, I think it's great that they have an open house and show stuff to people.

I saw the big Temple at Salt Lake City when I was young but didn't go in.

8. withwonderingawe

withwonderingawe Well-Known Member Supporter

+505
    Mormon
    Married
    US-Republican
    You can ask all the questions you want but they generally move you threw pretty fast.

9. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,133
    Mormon
    Single
    Specifically, depending upon the day and time you arrive, the line could almost literally be stretching around the block, and so there is a bit of a push to get people through so that those who are waiting can get in as well before it gets too late out.

10. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,133
    Mormon
    Single
    With as brightly lit as some of the rooms are going to be?

Even if photographs are allowed on that tour (I'd suggest calling ahead as a common courtesy), there's no guarantee anything will come out right.

11. drstevej

+23,475
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Excellent, thanks. FWIW, many years ago I toured the LDS temple in Dallas when it was opened. We got in and then the line stopped (for about forty minutes) for some reason. So while waiting my friends and I just started talking to folks in line about Jesus.

12. drstevej

+23,475
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican

Good suggestion, I will do. And if they come out right I'll post a few here.

13. tampasteve

tampasteve Lutheran Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,067
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, you can take pictures, yes they will generally make time to speak to you. Generally Temple openings or remodels are very popular to see, one can do a google search and see lots of pictures of them. Just as those other places though, it would be rude to start a conversation in order to proselytize, even though I am sure they would be happy to talk to you about the LDS church.

14. Jane_Doe

Jane_Doe Well-Known Member

+988
    Mormon
    Even in those super busy times when due to crowd size they need to move people through the building past, you're welcome to ask as many questions / stay as long as you'd like in the reception area after the tour (and eat refreshments too :) ). And of course, if you want to tour again, you're welcome to do that too, as many times as you'd like.

15. He is the way

He is the way Well-Known Member

+85
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    You can find pictures of the inside of the temples online:

lds temples inside - Google Search

16. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+6,875
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    That sounds like a very interesting opportunity. Please let us know how it goes.

17. drstevej

+23,475
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Just ordered these from eBay. Think I should wear one to the Temple opening? Which would be better?

[​IMG]

On second thought I think I'll go as a gentile.

18. BigDaddy4

BigDaddy4 Movin' on...

+1,508
    Christian
    Married
    Don't you mean as a member of the church of the devil? (1 Nephi 14:10)

19. He is the way

He is the way Well-Known Member

+85
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    There are only two churches on the earth. We choose which one to belong to.

20. BigDaddy4

BigDaddy4 Movin' on...

+1,508
    Christian
    Married
    According to your leaders, those who are not lds are not of the church of the Lamb of God. Unless you are a prophet or have authority to speak on behalf of the lds church, you do not have the authority to contradict them, regardless of your opinion.