• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

A twist on an old story - Not!

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by keith99, Sep 17, 2019.

1. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,316
    Atheist
    Single
    I was watching a film on TV that included the rather old meme of the princess who has a planned marriage to be against her wishes. For a while I thought it had an interesting twist. The groom to be seemed to be a decent guy. Turned out to be that he was even worse than usual.
    So my question. Can anyone think of a book (or film) story with the detested arranged marriage where the groom to be turns out to be a decent person?
    I can think of one but will not say it to start. But I will say the detested groom is the cousin of the woman's real true love who she grew up with and that her true love does have what would be an outside love interest that never really starts because it was far too forbidden.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Endeavourer

Endeavourer Well-Known Member

+1,140
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    My guilty pleasure is watching "Married at First Sight". It's a modern day tale on the topic. Sometimes the groom is a prince, sometimes he is a toad.

3. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,706
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    You might like the play The Surprise by G. K. Chesterton. Maybe not exactly what you're asking for, but it's a very interesting twist on the meme.

4. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,316
    Atheist
    Single
    Does the show deal with marriages arranged without the consent of the participants, especially the woman or is it something the parties sign up for?

5. Endeavourer

+1,140
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It arranges marriages with the consent of both parties. Both parties sign up for it.

6. mothcorrupteth

mothcorrupteth Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik

+432
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Constitution
    I'm told Monsoon Wedding ends with a happy arranged marriage. But I wouldn't know. I find Indian culture boring, and when you stack romance drama on top of it, I think I would rather watch Troll 2 again.

7. grandvizier1006

grandvizier1006 Still a human by God's grace Supporter

+2,134
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Till we have faces sort of has this concept, since Psyche is chosen to be the wife of a god, but it turns out this god is kind. That Simpsons episode where Apu is forced into an arranged marriage and tries to get out only to accept it is another example.

8. Quid est Veritas?

Quid est Veritas? In Memoriam to CS Lewis

+7,351
    Protestant
    Married
    Any detested groom that turns out okay, can ultimately just be called Stockholm Syndrome - like Beauty and the Beast.

It is a better trope than the Japanese one from the Tale of Genji, in which a girl is essentially groomed to be the perfect wife for her husband to be.

9. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,476
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I have seen the listings.

To me anyone who would consent to such a thing, male or female, is completely loony. Maybe "Institutionalized at first sight" would be more realistic.

10. Endeavourer

+1,140
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The study of marital behaviors fascinates me, so that's probably what draws me to it. Nearly all of the 25+ couples that have been matched (with a few exceptions) absolutely could have made great marriages if one (sometimes both) of the spouses had been able to moderate their own behaviors better.

I watched the first season where a couple was matched and the woman wasn't physically attracted to the husband at all. Right after the wedding she escaped to the bathroom, sat down on the floor and cried about the husband she got. However, the husband was GREAT husband material and pursued her very beautifully through the 8 week trial. At the end of the trial she was in love with him and they are still happily married today.

After that season I was hooked, especially given my fascination with the topic. I wish some of them would post here at CF for help during their 8 weeks of marriage before they have to decide to stay married or get a divorce. The problem behaviors are easily fixable but, not having the tools to fix them, they escalate out of hand and destabilize the marriages.