Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, my point of departure is the question, how much to read literally and how much allegorically (if those are, roughly, the two options)? Taking it all literally seems absurd, but taking it all allegorically makes it too vague or abstract to be special. And I'm looking for a way to read it that keeps it as a very special book.

I think a common approach, here, is, "Interpret a passage literally unless otherwise indicated," which is a principled approach, I suppose, but I think a case could be made for, "Interpret a passage allegorically unless otherwise indicated," especially with the use of parables in the Gospel to consider.

However, I have a more, err, artistic way of looking at the question. First, I thought of Jesus Christ as the Word. Of course "Logos" has other translations but I feel "Word" is the most important one. Anyway, I thought that we might interpret the literal-allegorical dichotomy as corresponding to the human-divine dual nature of the Son. Now, on this view, the most literal section of Scripture is the set of the Gospels, because these deal with the Son's human nature. Also, the miracle that is most important is the Resurrection, so having it certified literal under our reading is what we are trying to indicate in our understanding of the matter.

Now, allowing this as such, I would suggest that we think of the meaning of the Son, as the Word, radiating out across the pages of the book like light. At the outermost edge of this light, the Bible is the most allegorical. This is plainly true of the Book of Revelation. Now Genesis turns out this way too, here, and I think this is reasonable as things stand. (For example, the separation of light and dark independently of the sun, refers to the creation of Heaven and Hell, maybe.) And going inward towards the Gospels, the other sections become more and more literal or direct. So Exodus/the conquest-of-Canaan story is true enough regardless of the lack of archaeological evidence in favor of it as a literal event (it might be glossed as a parable about the overwhelming effectiveness of monotheism versus polytheism, i.e. as soon as a culture has monotheism suitably conveyed to it, all polytheists are "killed" because more or less converted; so whenever Jews brought their faith to a new area, it mimetically dominated the infused culture). On the other end, the epistles, which are very analytically, continue to deal much with abstractions and principles and so on. Finally, nearest the center, the prophecies of old and the Acts of the new eras, are the most concrete short of the description of the salvation of the world itself.

Just my two or three cents, I suppose...

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23

Ripheus27

Holeless fox
Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think He "clearly" understood that at all. Just because He quotes it without such qualifiers doesn't in itself imply that. Sometimes people quote fictional/allegorical stories directly, "in-universe" as they say, for convenience of discourse and not as an endorsement of the literal content of the statement. For example, in my own life, I have quoted the story of Christian fighting Apollyon in THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS directly, not because I think it is directly literal but because the allegory that applies (to my life) is otherwise direct.

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think He "clearly" understood that at all. Just because He quotes it without such qualifiers doesn't in itself imply that. Sometimes people quote fictional/allegorical stories directly, "in-universe" as they say, for convenience of discourse and not as an endorsement of the literal content of the statement. For example, in my own life, I have quoted the story of Christian fighting Apollyon in THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS directly, not because I think it is directly literal but because the allegory that applies (to my life) is otherwise direct.
So you say: "Just as in the days of a Apollen, so it will be..." I don't think so. Jesus didn't say "just as in the story of Jonah." For example. Or" just as in the story of the flood."
He treated them as real events.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's better to think of scripture as having multiple layers of meaning, than a singular choice between a literal and an allegorical one. Evidently the top layer is that of the literal meaning and it can be likened to a dry land or a safe harbor, in which the mind can always find recourse in case it errs when fishing for allegorical meanings in the abysmal waters of scripture.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would recommend that you read the scriptures in different ways, but ultimately coming down to "What does God say to me in this passage today?" Sometime the question of whether it is literal or allegorical is a distraction leading to argument. In either case it is scripture and is relevant. "These things are written for our learning." (Roman 15:4). Always read prayerfully and expectantly.

Reactions: icxn
Upvote 0

Ripheus27

Holeless fox
Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So you say: "Just as in the days of a Apollen, so it will be..." I don't think so. Jesus didn't say "just as in the story of Jonah." For example. Or" just as in the story of the flood."
He treated them as real events.

Just because someone doesn't add the qualifier/rider "as in the story of" doesn't mean they're not talking in story-mode. It's actually an issue on Wikipedia when people write about a scifi or fantasy story but they phrase it all as if they were reporting objective events.

"What does God say to me in this passage today?"

That seems too individualistic for me. I am looking for a shared, or at least shareable, perspective at the moment...

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
So, my point of departure is the question, how much to read literally and how much allegorically (if those are, roughly, the two options)? Taking it all literally seems absurd, but taking it all allegorically makes it too vague or abstract to be special. And I'm looking for a way to read it that keeps it as a very special book.

I think a common approach, here, is, "Interpret a passage literally unless otherwise indicated," which is a principled approach, I suppose, but I think a case could be made for, "Interpret a passage allegorically unless otherwise indicated," especially with the use of parables in the Gospel to consider.

However, I have a more, err, artistic way of looking at the question. First, I thought of Jesus Christ as the Word. Of course "Logos" has other translations but I feel "Word" is the most important one. Anyway, I thought that we might interpret the literal-allegorical dichotomy as corresponding to the human-divine dual nature of the Son. Now, on this view, the most literal section of Scripture is the set of the Gospels, because these deal with the Son's human nature. Also, the miracle that is most important is the Resurrection, so having it certified literal under our reading is what we are trying to indicate in our understanding of the matter.

Now, allowing this as such, I would suggest that we think of the meaning of the Son, as the Word, radiating out across the pages of the book like light. At the outermost edge of this light, the Bible is the most allegorical. This is plainly true of the Book of Revelation. Now Genesis turns out this way too, here, and I think this is reasonable as things stand. (For example, the separation of light and dark independently of the sun, refers to the creation of Heaven and Hell, maybe.) And going inward towards the Gospels, the other sections become more and more literal or direct. So Exodus/the conquest-of-Canaan story is true enough regardless of the lack of archaeological evidence in favor of it as a literal event (it might be glossed as a parable about the overwhelming effectiveness of monotheism versus polytheism, i.e. as soon as a culture has monotheism suitably conveyed to it, all polytheists are "killed" because more or less converted; so whenever Jews brought their faith to a new area, it mimetically dominated the infused culture). On the other end, the epistles, which are very analytically, continue to deal much with abstractions and principles and so on. Finally, nearest the center, the prophecies of old and the Acts of the new eras, are the most concrete short of the description of the salvation of the world itself.

Just my two or three cents, I suppose...
I think one should start at the beginning and read it all the way through.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That seems too individualistic for me. I am looking for a shared, or at least shareable, perspective at the moment...
I am Catholic and my Church has a specific interpretation for some passages of scripture. But for most of scripture, the faithful are welcome to interpret sacred scripture in the way they find most suitable. But certain passages are interpreted by the Church.

I rather appreciate that approach because it gives me an interpretive framework within which I can operate. For example, I have long struggled with accepting the creation story of Genesis in literal terms. Spiritual truth? Yes. Literal fact? No.

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, my point of departure is the question, how much to read literally and how much allegorically (if those are, roughly, the two options)?
Anyone who is asking your question, needs to read the Bible more.

Start at Genesis, stop at Revelation 22.
If you still don't have the answer to your question,

The Bible is the greatest work of literature that is a Fugue using words.
It was not meant to be understood by reading one small part of it.
If you don't understand how to read one little part of it,
stop reading that small part over and over and read
the whole Bible.

Upvote 0

Ripheus27

Holeless fox
Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, I am not trying to be that self-assured in my ability to retain information. Also, if I can't understand a book until I've read all of it, my process of understanding will never get going because I can't read every sentence in the Bible simultaneously. I need a point of departure. My mind is going to produce images while reading the Book of Genesis or the Gospels, or the Book of Revelation for that matter. Sometimes it won't produce many images but will be led along mostly in abstraction (as with most of the epistolary content).

Also which "whole" Bible am I to read? I confess that the Ethiopian version is the one that seems most likely to be the "best," going by the doctrine of scriptural preservation. However, I have almost no access to said version.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, my point of departure is the question, how much to read literally and how much allegorically (if those are, roughly, the two options)? Taking it all literally seems absurd, but taking it all allegorically makes it too vague or abstract to be special. And I'm looking for a way to read it that keeps it as a very special book....

I think the best way is to try to understand it as the person who told the thing wanted it to be understood. By what I have seen, Bible always tells the right way to understand it and it usually explains what it means. In my opinion it is wrong to claim something is allegory, if it is just something that one doesn’t understand or know, or is against some modern belief, if Bible doesn’t clearly tell it is allegory.

Upvote 0

Ripheus27

Holeless fox
Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
or is against some modern belief

Well, it is my modern belief that the Bible was compiled well over a thousand years ago, that the copies I have are copies of copies of... you get the idea. And so on and on. If my eyes deceive me when it comes to the evidence of scientific experiments, might not they deceive me with respect to the words in this book?

Upvote 0