Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I think some people might have a misconception about boundaries. A few years ago, I wrote a short summary for another discussion forum in the context of a certain thread. I am not copying and pasting the whole thing because of context; rather, I am using chunks of those paragraphs and rearranging some of the information so it's more stand-alone.

Boundaries are about recognizing what you are responsible for and to, and what others are responsible for and to. Boundaries is knowing the extent and type of each responsibility, no matter which side of the boundary you are on. Boundaries is knowing who you are, and where you end, and where others begin.

Lack of boundaries is closely associated with relationship issues such as codependency and enabling people to remain in unacceptable behaviours. Lack of boundaries also leads people to blame others for things they should be taking responsibility for.

There are several biblical principles at work in boundaries. First it's in loving others as you love yourself. Second, it's in the Golden Rule. And the third principle is in becoming one. With these three principles in mind, consider what boundaries really are. There is another principle that can be gleaned from various scripture verses that add up to say we need to let the good in and keep the bad out; namely, we think on things that are right, good, lovely, etc, and we fight against the powers of darkness. In these ways, boundaries are biblical.

Someone without a clear sense of boundaries is not loving him or herself because they would allow (and give) abusive or harmful behaviours and patterns such as manipulation, emotional disconnect, etc....they absolve themselves, making themselves not responsible for their role in relationships or the consequences their actions have on the other person. A person with a sense of responsibility to and responsibility for is a person who loves themselves, and therefore capable of loving others. People with unclear boundaries also have an unclear sense of self - that is, where self ends and others begin. This sets a person up for enmeshed relationships and unrealistic expectations on the other person, as they will refuse responsibility and put it onto the other person (blame).

Henry Cloud and John Townsend wrote the book Boundaries. There are a number of ways they describe this refusal of responsibility:
First there is the compliant person, who says yes to everything even at great cost to themselves. These people end up exhausted and overtaxed...and resentful. Then there are the avoidants who say no to the good. They can't recognize their own needs and ask for help in meeting them. They end up resentful because their own needs are not met, even though they did not take the responsibility to ask for help in meeting them. There is the non-responsive person, who refuses to hear the boundaries of others. After all, hearing them will make them responsible to respect them, and they don't want to have that kind of responsibility. They are also resentful after time because the person setting the boundary will continue to speak or otherwise attempt to enforce the boundary, and if it's not respected, they might go elsewhere to have their needs met. Finally, there is the controller, who refuses to hear and accept the other's boundaries, and then manipulate and push the other to change their boundary. These are the people who can't take responsibility for their own lives, and attempt to manipulate the compliant person.

Now of course comes the question of marriage, and how for the Christian marriage, God joins them and the two "become one" which might indicate to some that there are no boundaries between the two. Personally, I want my partner to have enough self respect that he will not allow anyone to mistreat him. When he has self respect, he is able to respect others. There still needs to be boundaries, but the definition of those boundaries changes because the "responsibility to and for" changes. A couple is now responsible to each other...that is, they are responsible to connect, to share their lives, feelings, faith, activities, etc. They are responsible for their behaviour in the relationship, to accommodate that person in their lives. But they are also responsible to respect each other and treat one another with the love and dignity they have for themselves.

Boundaries is about love and responsibility. The Bible preaches it in the golden rule. We are responsible to love one another, to say no to destructive behaviours, to say yes to helpful behaviours, to give in meeting the needs of others and to putting limits on sin. Boundaries are empowering to others, and they require respect of self and others. Boundaries are socially necessary, no matter what kind of relationship it is, but they are mostly necessary in close, loving relationships. I recommend the book "Boundaries" by Henry Cloud and John Townsend. They do an excellent job of explaining boundaries.

PS....the "joy" I find in others setting boundaries is knowing that they have enough love and respect toward them to take care of themselves, which makes it easier to love and respect and care for others. I also find joy in knowing that I am only responsible for and to certain things, and others are also responsible for and to certain things. That way, my husband doesn’t dump all the responsibility onto me, nor will he take all the responsibility for others and thereby burnout and become resentful. Boundaries are about self care....and I find joy in knowing that people engage in caring for themselves.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
So I was just thinking about boundaries a little more and thought I should put up an example of what a healthy boundary looks and sounds like. Let's say A is angry at B. A is feeling unheard and unimportant, and starts yelling at B. B finds yelling unacceptable and an unhealthy way to deal with conflict. B can sit there and take the yelling until A stops. B can "tune out." B can get up and leave. B can yell back. Or B can verbalize a boundary by saying something like "I would love to discuss this issue with you, but I can tell you are very angry right now. Once you have calmed down, let me know and then we can talk."

Person A now has a choice. A can keep yelling (disrespecting boundaries). A can go away and stew about it, getting madder and madder so calming down is impossible. A can choose any number of ways to respond to the verbalized boundary. The healthiest way is to say "you're right, I am angry and if I continue yelling I may say something I will later regret. I will go and calm down, then we can talk rationally about the issue in a way that will work for both of us."

When we look at this, we see B has taken responsibility for responding to the yelling. B states clearly what is acceptable resolution. A responds to the boundary by taking responsibility for yelling.

But if B yelled back or stormed off, or if A violated the boundary and continued to yell or stormed out and continued to stew the anger, those are boundary-less reactions. They are unhealthy and disrespectful to self and to spouse. People who love each other work hard to bring the best out in each other and make each other want to become more than they currently are. And part of boundaries is that accountability is built right into it.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've mentioned it a few times, but I recently discovered a series that Andy Stanley's done titled, "Guardrails". To me....that word seems to be a bit more clear as to how the lines are there for the protection and safety of everyone (it's nothing in opposition to what Cloud/Townsend have already laid out).

If anyone is interested......here is a link to that (there are six parts in total):

GUARDRAILS PT 1 - FULL MESSAGE - YouTube

and the written material:

http://www.smallgroupsource.com/campaign/guardrails/

Guardrail: standard of personal behavior that becomes a matter of conscience.

Proverbs 27:12 (TNIV)

12 The prudent see danger and take
refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

And this is a guardrail verse, because the verse says the prudent see danger, and then they back
off. The simple or the naïve, they just keep going and they suffer for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Scripture tells us that in marriage neither has authority over their own self anymore...I Corinthians 7:4

This has been posted a few times, and I wanted to respond to it. I don't believe that's what that verse is stating. If we don't have the authority over our own lives (souls), than people (not the Holy Spirit) are guiding and directing us. We aren't under "His yoke".....but the "yoke" of others.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The passage you are referring to needs to be put into context. The greater context is about sexual practices and fulfilling marital duty to the spouse. Iow, it is an obligation to a spouse to not deprive each other of sexual fulfillment except by mutual consent.

The passage is not talking about boundaries as far as what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours or what's yours is ours. Husbands still own their own clothes, women own their own clothes, and they both own the window dressings and floor coverings. If my husband buys a gift for me, it belongs to me - such as my wedding band. It does not "belong" to him, nor is it jointly owned, just as our clothes belong to each of us, respectively, separately and apart from the other. He does not have authority over my clothes, and I do not have authority over his clothes. I do not have the right to tell him what he can and can't wear or try to change his style of dress.

Boundaries is not trying to control another person. It's about respecting yourself enough to respect others, a key ingredient to a functional marriage.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The passage you are referring to needs to be put into context.

Boundaries is not trying to control another person. It's about respecting yourself enough to respect others, a key ingredient to a functional marriage.

Exactly.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think another reason why it's so important for us to maintain proper boundaries is in order for us to love God supremely (yet still balance that with loving and honoring others) is that we have to be able to aware of the potential danger of making other people our substitutes for God (including....if not, especially....our spouses).

"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you."~Isaiah 44:22

Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for you are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.~1st Corinthians 6:19-20

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
What happens when one person thinks boundaries is about controlling another person? My answer to them is that boundaries recognizes that others can behave in any way they want to behave. There is no control over how others behave. Rather, it's about how we respond to how they behave.

Using the earlier scenario of yelling, I mentioned person A was feeling unheard and ignored, and started yelling to gain attention from person B. Person B then set a boundary that s/he was not going to listen to the yelling, but would be happy to discuss the issue when they were both calm.

Person A could have laid a boundary to start with. Rather than yelling, person A could have said "you can continue to stonewall if you choose to, but I find that a risky behaviour for marriage. Stonewalling is damaging the marriage, and I would appreciate if you would talk with me about how we are going to resolve the issue." This is a boundary where the speaker does not try to control, but rather states what the consequences of the behaviour are, and how things could change if the behaviour stops.

But person A did not have boundaries; s/he yelled instead. Person B stated a boundary as well, where person A could yell and tantrum all they wanted to, but the result is that person B was not going to listen, and might even leave the home for a while until person A calmed down.

As demonstrated, boundaries are never about controlling another person; rather, they are simply statements of how we choose to respond when someone else behaves a certain way. Boundaries is simply a statement of my own behaviour, often based on what someone else does. It's about respect.

People who think boundaries are controlling, have no idea what boundaries really are, and likely don't have a clear sense of their own boundaries. Unfortunately, some people use boundaries as a weapon of sorts, with the mindset that "I'm going to treat others poorly, but heaven help them if they call me on it or treat me poorly." Also, some people don't seem to have the self awareness to recognize when they are treating others poorly. These are people without a clear sense of boundaries and the respect that boundaries are founded on.

AL, fences are good, but so are walls, if they are used appropriately. The fence is at the perimeter; you only allow in people you know to be trustworthy (allowing in the good). Some of them might make it as far as the door, like the mailman or paper-person or lawn maintenance worker or the meter-reader. But the walls are meant to protect your privacy from those who come into the yard but you do not want to allow into your home. You allow people onto your porch for some things, you allow other people right into your living room but not your kitchen, you allow others into your kitchen but only closest family members into your bedroom.... So walls are good, too, as long as they are used to protect and to let good in and keep bad out. Iow, the walls need a door and a few windows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums