Visit site
✟14,583.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
At the link below is a slide show of pictures I took while at Wildwood NJ, from this summer, and last summer.

The first half focuses on the famous 1950's era Doo-Wop Motels, which are living timecapsules of the 1950's happy days. The second half focuses on the beach and the bay. Night picture quality isn't perfect as I was using a cheap digital camera, but the rest are ok. I hope you enjoy them. Make sure your speakers are on!

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My sister and her husband have a weekend place where Cape May meets Wildwood Crest. We used to have a place in Rio, just outside of Wildwood, so I go there about every other weekend.

The sad thing about it is that they're tearing down all of those beautiful old kitschy motels to put up condos.

We used to hang out at the Bayview Inn, but they've torn that down, too.

We still hang out at the Irish bars up in North Wildwood, though.

I still remember Michylene (sp?) O'Flynn's, Moore's Inlet, Jimmy's, Loretta's Nut Club, Cozy Morley's, The Bucaneer (which I think is still there) etc.

When I was nineteen, I lived in a little house near 23rd and New Jersey Ave (I think it was 23rd, but I could be wrong. It was the same street Woody's is on, up near Wildwood Catholic) and I was so poor that there was a stand on the boardwalk where you could buy three hot dogs for $.99. I would buy the hot dogs for $.99, a bag of chips for $.35 and a soda for $.50 and that would be my meal for the day. I lived like that for the summer (well, that and a lot of beer). Dated a nice Irish girl, too, who had come over to work for the summer.

Ocean City (Md) is nicer, but Wildwood is where most of my friends are and it has so much more sentimental value for me.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
SuperOktav said:
Sadly "The Buccaneer" is being demo'd as well. I found out on the Doo-Wop Presevation League's website. It had been sitting vacant and fenced off for most of the year but is now getting demo'd.

That's a shame. Although we're at the shore just about all season, we don't go around there too much.

When we do go to the boardwalk, we park in the parking lot across the street from the Buccaneer and my brother in law always tells me that that's where his parents met. The motel where the Buck is located is where my brother in law and his family used to stay when he was a kid. I know he'll be sorry to hear that, if he doesn't already know.

Upvote 0