• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

A simple question.

Discussion in 'Exploring Christianity' started by Soul_Searcher, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soul_Searcher

Soul_Searcher Contributor

+249
    Other Religion
    In your own words, without Bible quotes, can you define God?

Thanks.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Hentenza

Hentenza I will fear no evil for You are with me

+3,227
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    The uncaused cause.:)

3. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

+1,990
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Greens
    That which I see in Jesus of Nazareth.

4. Toclafane

Toclafane We Follow The Master

+3,128
    Non-Denom
    Nope, quite hard to define the infinite with finite words.

5. Suggestion Box

Suggestion Box Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    nay, impossible (even with Bible quotes, or quotes of any other scripture for that matter). thus all the confusion among those who believe in Him.

6. secondtimearound

secondtimearound King Kong has everything on me

+17
    Salvation Army
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Love

7. fm107

fm107 Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20

+129
    United Kingdom
    Protestant
    Married
    Why can't I use a bible quote?

Revelation 1:8
    "I am the Alpha and the Omega," declares the Lord God, "the one who is, who was, and who is coming, the Almighty."

8. salida

salida Veteran

+241
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    eternal and unconditional love, peace, hope, joy, gentleness, patience, wonderful, all powerful, marvelous, great, light, awesome, everlasting, good, holy, truth, wonderful counselor, the great physician, all knowing, spiritual freedom, indescribable. Are these bible quotes? What you truly asking is to define God without His Word. Its like asking me to define my husband without his characteristics. Impossible to do sir.

9. Criada

Criada Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,795
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    No, I can't... nor with Bible quotes for that matter.
    He is God.
    I am a human, with a finite mind... if I could define or understand Him, He would be less that God.

10. sylk

sylk seaside

+412
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    All Love.

11. [serious]

[serious] 'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA Supporter

+1,651
    Non-Denom
    Married
    A supernatural actor upon the natural world.

12. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Ebia,

"That which I see in Jesus of Nazareth."

I like this. What do you see?

13. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Toclafane,

"Nope, quite hard to define the infinite with finite words."

Okay, point taken. So what do you think of when you think of God?

14. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Suggestion,

"nay, impossible (even with Bible quotes, or quotes of any other scripture for that matter). thus all the confusion among those who believe in Him."

So, could you please complete this sentence for me?

When someone says he/she knows God/what God wants, that person is...

15. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Second time,

"Love"

Agreed. What kind of love?

16. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi FM107,

"Why can't I use a bible quote? "

Because I want to know what you think, not what you read.

17. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Salida,

"eternal and unconditional love, peace, hope, joy, gentleness, patience, wonderful, all powerful, marvelous, great, light, awesome, everlasting, good, holy, truth, wonderful counselor, the great physician, all knowing, spiritual freedom, indescribable. Are these bible quotes? What you truly asking is to define God without His Word. Its like asking me to define my husband without his characteristics. Impossible to do sir."

I think you did a great job. And this isn't to spark debate, but just an observation--what I read about in the Old Testament with regards to God does not agree with your wonderful definition.

18. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi CTR,

"Our Heavenly Father who is perfect in every way. A perfect parent who has unconditional love for all of his children! "

What does unconditional mean to you? And who are God's children?

19. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Criada,

"No, I can't... nor with Bible quotes for that matter.
    He is God.
    I am a human, with a finite mind... if I could define or understand Him, He would be less that God.
    "

Nicely put. Do you use the masculine pronouns He and Him for convenience, or do you consider God male?

20. a.d.ivNonasNovembres

a.d.ivNonasNovembres I don't know anything

+141
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I agree with the whole "not possible answer" but for the sake of playing the game:
    Well the first image of God I had before I was a Christian was two fold, first there was the whole "cosmic daddy" aspect which definitely I had picked up on despite my parents not being Christians either. Having a good relationship with my biological dad meant that image was a very positive one to me (although oddly in my teenage years I was constantly suspecting God of preventing me doing all the cool self destructive things I wanted to do! haha!).
    The other image though was of the "allpenetrating light". A light that when it hit anything it revealed it totally, a light completely pure and untainted by any kind of bias or colouration, which could reach down into every dark and hidden place and reveal it. A light which was truth and which brought the truth in all things out. A light which could be completely harsh upon things which desired to remain in the dark. Not a soft light, but utterly brilliant and allpenetrating.
    And I honestly felt, and feel even now, rather vunerable before such a light, there are dark corners I would rather stayed dark sometimes...
    But I think God is good too. And God is a person. The idea of light does not get his personhood enough across. Such a light could act mechanically, but God does not, God acts supremely personally.

The light of God even burns up what it touches sometimes. But when it does so, it does so brilliantly and for the best, like burning away disease from a tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.