• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

A simple question.

Discussion in 'Exploring Christianity' started by Soul_Searcher, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soul_Searcher

Soul_Searcher Contributor

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Sylk,

"All Love."

Okay. What does love mean to you?

2. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Serious,

"A supernatural actor upon the natural world."

Intriguing. Who writes the play?

3. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Novembres,

"And I honestly felt, and feel even now, rather vunerable before such a light, there are dark corners I would rather stayed dark sometimes...
    But I think God is good too. And God is a person. The idea of light does not get his personhood enough across. Such a light could act mechanically, but God does not, God acts supremely personally
    ."

I like this, thanks. What kind of person would God be? Is God alone, or part of a community of 'gods'?

We all have our dark places, but in the end, I believe, we are better off without them.

4. a.d.ivNonasNovembres

a.d.ivNonasNovembres I don't know anything

+141
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Well I guess the most obvious way to look at what kind of person He is, is to look at Christ. But there was a lot about Christ that we don't know and can't easily find out. I guess you'd have to get to know Him personally. Again, not easy to describe.

And of course in Christian terms He is in a community of God (rather than gods) - that is the Trinity.

5. secondtimearound

secondtimearound King Kong has everything on me

+17
    Salvation Army
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Hi Soul Searcher :). What kind of love...the love of a loving parent, which is infinite.

6. [serious]

[serious] 'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA Supporter

+1,651
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Bob from accounting.

I think my definition fairly accurately describes what people of any religion mean when they say "God".

My own view is that the concept of a divine consciousness is useful in my own life regardless of it's verifiable reality. You might call me an agnostic working on the assumption of the affirmative. I fully realize that what I view as God could be nothing more than my own subconscious but that doesn't bother me. It also doesn't bother me that feynman diagram doesn't necessarily describe the literal paths of particles.

7. Emmy

Emmy Senior Veteran

+790
    Salvation Army
    Dear Soul Searcher. You had many good replies. Without God, what would there be? God is our Maker, our Master and Friend, He is our Life and our sure Haven. We know God through Christ, He died that we might live, and I know that Jesus is the Way back to our eternal home with God, our Heavenly Father. I say this humbly, and with utter assurance and love, Soul Searcher. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

8. Ave Maria

Ave Maria Ave Maria Gratia Plena

+1,681
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Sure can. God is love, mercy, and justice all rolled up in to one Supreme Being. :thumbsup:

9. Criada

Criada Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,795
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Jesus was born as a man, obviously He is male.
    But I think that God encompasses both male and female. We refer to Him as a father by convention... but the bible also describes Him as a mother. He is Spirit, and I don't think that spirit has gender, though He encompasses all the best of both.
    But the 'He' thing is just a convention really.

10. Ames x

Ames x Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Married
    He is my Heavenly Father who loves me with an unconditional love.. even though I dont deserve it. x

11. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Second,

"Hi Soul Searcher :). What kind of love...the love of a loving parent, which is infinite."

Okay, and exactly who are God's children?

12. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Serious,

"My own view is that the concept of a divine consciousness is useful in my own life regardless of it's verifiable reality. You might call me an agnostic working on the assumption of the affirmative. I fully realize that what I view as God could be nothing more than my own subconscious but that doesn't bother me. It also doesn't bother me that feynman diagram doesn't necessarily describe the literal paths of particles."

Very cool, thanks. Much like my own concept, which is basically, "I don't know what God is, but I do believe there is something that 'binds' us all in some way."

13. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Novembres,

"Well I guess the most obvious way to look at what kind of person He is, is to look at Christ. But there was a lot about Christ that we don't know and can't easily find out. I guess you'd have to get to know Him personally. Again, not easy to describe."

Yes, there is precious little we actually do know about Jesus, so isn't it pretty difficult to know him personally? What does it mean to you to know Jesus personally?

14. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Criada,

"He is Spirit, and I don't think that spirit has gender, though He encompasses all the best of both."

This brings up another question. Are angels spirits?

15. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Ames,

"He is my Heavenly Father who loves me with an unconditional love.. even though I dont deserve it."

Why don't you deserve it?

16. a.d.ivNonasNovembres

+141
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I have heard angels described variously as pure intelligence on the one hand, or as having incredibly subtle bodies far more subtle than ours on the other hand, to being as you suggest spirit.
    I guess there is a lot of different takes on the matter.

17. a.d.ivNonasNovembres

+141
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Well you get to know Jesus not only from the historical record, but by meeting Him in the liturgy and in those who have been incorporated into (even imperfectly) Christ.

18. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Novembres,

"Well you get to know Jesus not only from the historical record, but by meeting Him in the liturgy and in those who have been incorporated into (even imperfectly) Christ."

Okay, but what is your experience with it?

19. a.d.ivNonasNovembres

+141
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    My experience is pretty new. But I don't think I could put it into words. You should go see for yourself, if nothing else the liturgy shaped many hundreds of years of European civilisation (both the Divine Liturgy of John Chrysostom and the Traditional "Gregorian" or "Tridentine" Mass) and so even if you don't end up meeting Christ there (which I did, in both cases) doesn't mean you won't get something valuable from it.

Also from people... its hard to explain. God often acts through and in others... another thing you have to experience to know what its like.

20. Soul_Searcher

+249
    Other Religion
    Hi Novembres,

"Also from people... its hard to explain. God often acts through and in others... another thing you have to experience to know what its like. "

This I agree with, even if I cannot define God, but there are forces, or a force, that works through people, and through many things and events, etc., that lead me to believe we are tiny parts of something fantastic. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.