• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A Question

R

Romanseight2005

My son who is 12, has all of the ADHD symptoms that were listed on a questionaire that I was filling out for a student of mine. My sister told me that I shouldn't get an official diagnosis on it because it could limit him as an adult. For instance an ADHD diagnosis would keep him from the military, etc. Do any of you know anything about this?

bornagainhippy

Aug 30, 2006
Australia
✟456.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
My son who is 12, has all of the ADHD symptoms that were listed on a questionaire that I was filling out for a student of mine. My sister told me that I shouldn't get an official diagnosis on it because it could limit him as an adult. For instance an ADHD diagnosis would keep him from the military, etc. Do any of you know anything about this?

Hi. Getting an official diagnosis "shouldn't" place any limitations on your son. If being diagnosed with a mental disorder does cause limitations then, as a society, we really need to smarten up. Receiving a diagnosis for any condition (mental or physical) surely has to be the first step towards treatment and management. For example, if you are to treat his ADHD with meds, it's virtually impossible without a diagnosis. But even without going the medication option, it can be useful for his teachers to know that he has adhd. Not neccessarily so he can get special consideration or not to be used an excuse but teachers should be aware of the problems adhd people face when it comes to study and they should also be aware of teaching methods that help.
On the last note, if it's true that a diagnosis would keep him out of the military, then that alone would be motivation enough for me to make an appointment first thing in the morning.

All the best.

Upvote 0

Scot73MMX

Nov 27, 2010
Pennsylvania
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have ADHD
don't treeat with meds they are not always the awnser
they can horrible longterm side effects (I know i have expiren them still)
like memory loss get him into activities that fore him to consentrate like marial arts or music.he can learn to control it.what people fail to realize (nd doctors fail to listen) is ADHD is part of us part of who we are, take it away and we feel lost, it like removing a womans breast (mastectomy?) or breaking a ruuuers knee you know some things missing of you and feel you feel sad

Upvote 0

felix102

Sep 16, 2004
✟164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I cannot foresee a problem in getting an official diagnosis. I think it's more likely that he'd be accomodated rather than limited. Especially if the employer is the government (eg the military), there are always accomodations for "disabled" employees.

The only thing I would stay away from is medication. Medication can help but it can pose serious health effects like stunted growth. ADHD isnt necessarily a disorder, it's a different type of person. As long as other people know your son is different, they can properly accomodate him.

Most ADDers can absorb information very fast and can be very passionate about whatever they like to do. I have ADD and if I could go back in time I would have my parents do things a little differently (not that they were bad parents, they were excellent; but no one knew I was very ADD). I would wish I was exposed to more things like art, science, welding etc to find some passion. After you son finds something he really likes to do, train your son to keep pursuing that passion. It's easy for us to change hobbies frequently. If you find that your son has an aptitude for a certain hobby keep reinforcing him to further develop his skills.

Upvote 0