Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure what you mean by trusting something "from the Romans".

The Cannon of the Bible was not established in Rome but by Ecummenical councils in Hippo and Carthage.

Chrisitanity was not the official religion of the empire until 313? By that time the Church was already established.

cheers

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LyricalX said:
So your telling me the Roman Empire would not of used Christianity as a form of power?

I'm sure certain people w/in the Roman Empire might done so, just as people in power throughout the last 2,000 years have done so (some might even argue that Pres. Bush is doing the same right now).

Personally, I think that the decision to make Christianity the official religion of the empire was a bad move. So many of the Aristocracy liked having their own "family god" or liked the cult of the Emperor as god.

cheers

ps. Happy Birthday!!! :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

LowlyServant

Dec 4, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
LyricalX said:
There is a HUGE chance that they tampered with the Bible

They saw Christianity as a way to unite their empire

First of all, yes, it may have been the hope of some who declared Christianity the official religion of Rome that it would unite a crumbling Rome. However, how does tampering the Bible relate to that? What facts to you base this off of? The Bible was written, as Quijote, and eccumenical councils by Catholics (actually, they were called "Christians" then) who felt a need for a Bible because:
a) The Apostles were dying
b) distortions of the truth were arising... word of mouth isn't the best way to spread the truth
c)There was obviously some 'delay' so to speak, in Jesus' 2nd coming

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Upvote 0

AndrewinIdaho

Dec 3, 2005
Idaho
✟15,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
LowlyServant said:
b) distortions of the truth were arising... word of mouth isn't the best way to spread the truth

I would have to argue with word of mouth not being a good way, much of our history was passed from word of mouth. People back then took a much greater view of their history and felt it was essential that the historians got it right.

Also, when the Bible was first written down very few years after the Church started, so there were no real distortions of the truth (some books less then 20 years after Christ asended into heaven). Most of the Eyewitnesses were still alive and would protest to any distortions of the truth.

As for the Romans tampering with the Bible... we have many early books, before the Romans adopted Christianity, that are consistent with the later copies after the Romans adopted the Bible and we find very few discrepancies.

I am raised Roman Catholic, and still go to mass though less often then to my baptist congregation (thus the reason i dont have the Roman catholic corss)

Upvote 0