Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have a question about buying and selling on Sundays, buying food, and buying things from a special fair on Sunday are exceptions to the Third Command correct? Because I might have done both of these things in the past, albeit, without realizing them.

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a question about buying and selling on Sundays, buying food, and buying things from a special fair on Sunday are exceptions to the Third Command correct? Because I might have done both of these things in the past, albeit, without realizing them.
I don't think it matters.

Hebrews chapter 7 verses 11,12 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood for on the basis of it the law was given to the people why was there still need for another priest to come one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.
John chapter 15 verse 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
Galatians chapter 5 verse 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command love your neighbor as your self.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

JLOL,

Other than the laws of men, there has never been any Scriptural support to not buy or sell anything on Sunday. The only day for which we can find any Scriptural support for not working is on the Sabbath, which would run from sundown Friday evening until sundown Saturday, as the Jews account the days.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
JLOL,

Other than the laws of men, there has never been any Scriptural support to not buy or sell anything on Sunday.
The only day for which we can find any Scriptural support for not working is on the Sabbath, which would run from sundown Friday evening until sundown Saturday, as the Jews account the days.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted
Great post.
Here in God's country of Texas, you can't buy alcohol on Sundays.
So that is why many of the Texas Christian rednecks stock up on enough beer on Saturday to last thru Sunday's football games.
Much like the Israelites did with the "mana" in the OT [Exodus 16:22-26]

Exodus 16:
26 “Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the sabbath, there will be none.”

Blue Laws in Texas Alcohol Sale on Sunday – Fort Worth Criminal Attorneys | Criminal Attorney in Fort Worth TX

Blue Laws – Texas
A blue law, also referred to as a “Sunday Law,” is the term used for a law that is designed to restrict activities on Sundays for religious purposes.
Traditionally, people have avoided working on Sundays because it is a “day of rest.”
Blue laws were specifically enacted to prohibit the sale of certain items, most notably alcohol, in order to encourage (or force) people to go to church and observe the Sabbath.
Many times the laws did not force stores to completely close on Sundays but instead banned the sale of certain items that made the operation of the store impractical. For example, up until 1985, Texas blue laws prohibited the sale of items such as pots, pans, knives, nails, and washing machines on Sunday.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: samir
Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
As was stated earlier the only day which buying and selling are strictly prohibited in the Bible is on the Sabbath Day (e.g. Saturday). If buying and selling happen to be prohibited in other days in other countries, states, counties, cities, etc. and they do not cause you to break God's commandments, then follow those laws.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The third command is to not take the Lord's Name in vain. I believe you meant the fourth command. The seventh day in reference to the Sabbath is always tied to the seventh day of the week.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it matters.

Hebrews chapter 7 verses 11,12 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood for on the basis of it the law was given to the people why was there still need for another priest to come one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.
John chapter 15 verse 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
Galatians chapter 5 verse 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command love your neighbor as your self.
It does matter.

The scripture you quoted only involves a change in the priesthood: it does not involve the Sabbath or any of God's Laws being done away with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
With that kind of a question I have to wonder when you're going to start the animal sacrifices.
The answer to that is in the book of Ezekiel chapter 46 where the animal sacrifices will take place during the Millenial Reign of Christ.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
With that kind of a question I have to wonder when you're going to start the animal sacrifices.
BBQ pits have replaced the OC altar of sacrifice......

The OC:

images
images

The NC :

upload_2017-10-14_21-11-26.jpeg
upload_2017-10-14_21-16-4.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-14_21-1-17.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-14_21-1-17.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I've been doing some researching on this, it appears I was mostly right. At least selling things on Sunday and holy days of obligation during special events is acceptable, so I assume buying things is as well. In regards to buying food, purchasing things at restaurant is acceptable, buy groceries generally is not, I assume, buying something for a quick snack while traveling is okay.

This video, while not catechetical, and somewhat off topic, helps explain things a bit. For anyone who is interested, skip ahead to ahead 8:25 for the specific of the 3rd Commandment:

I have also found some interesting articles on keeping the Lord's Day Holy. if I have time tomorrow, I'm going to take a look at these articles, and see if there is anything I can put into practice in my life right now, to keep the Lord's Day Holy.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does matter.

The scripture you quoted only involves a change in the priesthood: it fits not involve the Sabbath or any of God's Laws being done away with.
Romans chapter 4
13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Romans chapter 4
13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.
No one mentioned that the law promised us to be heirs to the Kingdom of Heaven. And as for the last verse Paul is only saying that where there is no law there is no way to trangress against the law.
If this is your proof to say that all of the laws of the old testament were done away with then you will have an impossible time fighting against the words of Jesus who said that nothing from the Law would pass until the old heaven and earth are passed and all things are fulfilled: since this old heaven and earth are here and we are still fighting sin, the Law has not passed nor have all things been fulfilled.
Ask yourself why Paul mentions Christ Jesus as our High Priest meant to take over the levitical priesthood? And after Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection why do Paul and the early believers of the church still observe the seventh day Sabbath and the feast days found in the Law of Moses? If your answer is that Paul is Jewish then please remember that Jesus is a Jew as well.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No one mentioned that the law promised us to be heirs to the Kingdom of Heaven. And as for the last verse Paul is only saying that where there is no law there is no way to trangress against the law.
If this is your proof to say that all of the laws of the old testament were done away with then you will have an impossible time fighting against the words of Jesus who said that nothing from the Law would pass until the old heaven and earth are passed and all things are fulfilled: since this old heaven and earth are here and we are still fighting sin, the Law has not passed nor have all things been fulfilled.
Ask yourself why Paul mentions Christ Jesus as our High Priest meant to take over the levitical priesthood? And after Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection why do Paul and the early believers of the church still observe the seventh day Sabbath and the feast days found in the Law of Moses? If your answer is that Paul is Jewish then please remember that Jesus is a Jew as well.
You don't obey the law, so why would you preach it.
we are still fighting sin

Galatians chapter 3 verse 17
What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You don't obey the law, so why would you preach it.

Galatians chapter 3 verse 17
What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.
Okay so where is your proof for accusing me of not following the Law? Do you even know the Law of Moses for yourself?
As do your Galatians reference Paul is man in it clear that the Law of Moses being established did not void the promise God made to Adam and Eve that He would send His seed (i.e. Jesus) to crush the head of the Serpent (i.e. Satan). And this would not void the promise He made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob nor, did it void His promise to king David that the Messiah would so on His throne and rule forever. What you cited does not prove a doing away of the Law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay so where is your proof for accusing me of not following the Law? Do you even know the Law of Moses for yourself?
As do your Galatians reference Paul is man in it clear that the Law of Moses being established did not void the promise God made to Adam and Eve that He would send His seed (i.e. Jesus) to crush the head of the Serpent (i.e. Satan). And this would not void the promise He made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob nor, did it void His promise to king David that the Messiah would so on His throne and rule forever. What you cited does not prove a doing away of the Law.
Okay so where is your proof for accusing me of not following the Law?
1 John chapter 1 verse 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
James chapter 2 verse 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

That proves you disob
Okay so where is your proof for accusing me of not following the Law?
1 John chapter 1 verse 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
James chapter 2 verse 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
That proves you don't obey the law.

Galatians chapter 4 verse 21-31
Tell me you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? For it is written that Abraham had two sons,one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. His son by the slave woman was born in the ordinary way; but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a promise.
These things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. For it is written: "be glad, O barren woman, who bears no children; break forth and cry aloud, you who have no labor pains; because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband. Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. At that time the son born in the ordinary way persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. But what does the Scripture say? Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman's son Therefore, brothers, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

That proves you disob

That proves you don't obey the law.

Galatians chapter 4 verse 21-31
Tell me you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? For it is written that Abraham had two sons,one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. His son by the slave woman was born in the ordinary way; but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a promise.
These things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. For it is written: "be glad, O barren woman, who bears no children; break forth and cry aloud, you who have no labor pains; because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband. Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. At that time the son born in the ordinary way persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. But what does the Scripture say? Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman's son Therefore, brothers, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
So where did I claim to be without sin said that I never sinned? If you read the beginning of 1 John 2 John as that he is writing to us believers that we sin not.
As for the exposition of Paul concerning Hagar and Sarah he was simply proving that those who only follows the Law and believed not in Jesus would be cast out and remain slaves to sin since Jesus was sent to free us from sin: not the abolishing of the Law of Moses which punished sin. If we believe in Jesus then not only will we keep the Law as demonstration of our love for Him but, we will also be freed from the bonds of sin and death through His cleansing blood.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So where did I claim to be without sin said that I never sinned? If you read the beginning of 1 John 2 John as that he is writing to us believers that we sin not.
As for the exposition of Paul concerning Hagar and Sarah he was simply proving that those who only follows the Law and believed not in Jesus would be cast out and remain slaves to sin since Jesus was sent to free us from sin: not the abolishing of the Law of Moses which punished sin. If we believe in Jesus then not only will we keep the Law as demonstration of our love for Him but, we will also be freed from the bonds of sin and death through His cleansing blood.
I don't think I can help you, I think your beyond human help.

Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
5 “Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
look around and consider,
search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
I will forgive this city.
Psalm 119 verse 114
You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I can help you, I think your beyond human help.

Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
5 “Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
look around and consider,
search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
I will forgive this city.
Psalm 119 verse 114
You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.
You're quoting irrelevant passages. You have not proved where I said that I'm without sin or have never sinned. Jesus says with God all things are possible so, I won't be moved by your short sightedness. Scripture states that only those who are beyond help are those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit: the only sin which is unforgivable.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0