✟83,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mosiah10_5 said:
Besides the fact that this makes no sense whatsoever...
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not teach that God was once a man that is now exalted. Many think we do, but we do not teach that. It is not in our doctrine.
Secondly, this quote seems to be talking about infinity. Unless I am mistaken, then, this quote is not only proving LDS wrong, but mainstream Christianity as well! It seems to be saying that it is impossible to reach infinity, or cross it, and Christianity teaches that God is infinite, actually crossing it. I believe that, and that is why I find this quote funny. It is confusing in its wording, and seems to prove itself wrong (besides, regardless of what this person said-its God. He can go over infinity, having actually created the concept, can't He?)

I think we have to define something here. Just go with me for a moment. Even if there were an infinite line of gods, one creating another, each one would have to be infinite, according to our definition, because they existed before their respective universe was even thought of, and will exist for all Eternity. So, for us, there is only One God. He is Eternal, regardless of His relationship to "other gods". He is the only God of this universe, this creation. While I do not accept that there were other gods, I do not throw this out, as I do not believe it contradicts that bible. The possibility exists, that there were gods before our God. However, I do not feel, nor believe that that fact takes away from the fact that God is Eternal, not created, and is our Creator.

I know that this doesn't make any sense, but I believe the bible. I accept that there are many things we don't understand with our human minds, and am therefore open to speculation. However, until new revelation is recieved, I will follow what we have. God is Eternal, the only God that I know.

God Bless,
Mosiah 10_5

1984:
"He is our Father---the Father of our spirits---and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are....
"...There never was a time when there were not Gods and worlds and when men were not passing through the same ordeals that we are now passing through...
"It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has once been a finite being" [Deseret News, 16 Nov. 1859, p.290].
(Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, copyright 1984, p. 152)

Upvote 0

unbound

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2004
✟17,431.00
Faith
Christian
Mosiah10_5 said:
We believe this as well. Even if there was gods before our God, He is the only One that we deal with, He is our Creator, and there is no other for us. He is our God. The others are of no consequence to us, and do nothing for our salvation. There is only One. Even if there are many, there is only One.

I still believe in the God of us, our Creator, and will follow His scriptures, and what they say. They do not teach of other gods...yet.

God Bless,
Mosiah10_5

The problem is that nowhere in the bible do we see these bolded portions included when God is describing His uniquness and singularness.

Upvote 0

unbound

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2004
✟17,431.00
Faith
Christian
Swart said:
[Bible]1 Corinthians 8:6[/Bible]

We need to concern ourselves only with One God and One Jesus Christ. Anything else is simply idle speculation. And ONLY speculation at that.

So individual opinions may be discussed, but they cannot be considered the entire range of LDS thought.

I agree, but the speculation or teaching that there was a world that God was born into and became a man like us brings about more questions than answers. I can see why some LDS try to promote the "Gods without end" doctrine. But the honest LDS should also keep in mind all the scripture about God being "IT" and none before or after. Also the "jealosy" our God has would imply there are no others . Therefore, I find it deplorable and a very dangerous thing to inject that there are other powers above our God.

Upvote 0

unbound

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2004
✟17,431.00
Faith
Christian
GodsWordisTrue said:
1984:
"He is our Father---the Father of our spirits---and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are....
"...There never was a time when there were not Gods and worlds and when men were not passing through the same ordeals that we are now passing through...
"It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has once been a finite being" [Deseret News, 16 Nov. 1859, p.290].
(Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, copyright 1984, p. 152)

This is taught in LDS Gospel class on sundays:

Gospel Principles Chapter 47

After We Have Endured to the End

What happens when we have endured to the end in faithful discipleship to Christ? The Lord has said, "If you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God" (D&C 14:7). President Joseph Fielding Smith said, "If we will continue in God; that is, keep his commandments, worship him and live his truth; then the time will come when we shall be bathed in the fulness of truth, which shall grow brighter and brighter until the perfect day" (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:36).

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: "When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 348).

This is the way our Heavenly Father became God. Joseph Smith taught: "It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God. . . . He was once a man like us; . . . God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-46).
Our Heavenly Father knows our trials, our weaknesses, and our sins. He has compassion and mercy on us. He wants us to succeed even as he did.

Imagine what joy each of us will have when we return to our Heavenly Father if we can say: "Father, I did what you wanted me to do. I have been faithful and have kept your commandments. I am happy to be home again." Then we will hear him say, "Well done; . . . thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord" (Matthew 25:23).

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
unbound said:
I agree, but the speculation or teaching that there was a world that God was born into and became a man like us brings about more questions than answers. I can see why some LDS try to promote the "Gods without end" doctrine. But the honest LDS should also keep in mind all the scripture about God being "IT" and none before or after. Also the "jealosy" our God has would imply there are no others . Therefore, I find it deplorable and a very dangerous thing to inject that there are other powers above our God.

But that just goes along with their eternal progression belief, so that as they become as great as their Heavenly Father, he becomes greater still.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.