Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
It says in the New Testament that Jesus waa tempted at all points, but did not sin.

(Hebrews 4:15
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.)

Now I ask myself. Isn't a sin something that starts in the mind?

Jesus says it is:

(Matthew 5:28
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart)

If thinking a wrong action is the same as committing the action itself, then Jesus couldn't be tempted to sin at any point. Because he couldn't have any sin enter his mind, even for a brief moment to choose to say no.

So how was Jesus tempted like us?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

NeverL0ved

Oct 20, 2019
Brisbane, QLD
✟21,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
"Brave men run in my family...!" --The Paleface, 1948

Jesus was tempted like Adam & Eve (our ancestors) were in the Garden.
Except Jesus wasn't in a garden with a tree that he was told not to eat from. So in what capacity is your post true, and how does Jesus not partaking of the tree of knowledge of good and evil fit with his current day ministry?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It says in the New Testament that Jesus waa tempted at all points, but did not sin.

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.)

Jesus says it is:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart)

If thinking a wrong action is the same as committing the action itself, then Jesus couldn't be tempted to sin at any point. Because he couldn't have any sin enter his mind, even for a brief moment to choose to say no.

It means there were external temptations thrown his way. He wasn't tempted internally (mentally or spiritually). The devil tempted Jesus in the wilderness but Jesus didn't take the bait.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So in what capacity is your post true, and how does Jesus not partaking of the tree of knowledge of good and evil fit with his current day ministry?
That the same person who tempted Adam & Eve tempted Him. They did not have any previous sin, either.

Upvote 0

NeverL0ved

Oct 20, 2019
Brisbane, QLD
✟21,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
It means there were external temptations thrown his way. He wasn't tempted internally (mentally or spiritually). The devil tempted Jesus in the wilderness but Jesus didn't take the bait.
Then how did Jesus know he was been tempted?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Jesus says it is:

Temptation is not sin. Satan tempted Lord Jesus in the wilderness. Did Lord Jesus run the idea around in His mind then say no? I don't know. Suffice to say that He rejected the temptation. It is possible to look at a woman without lusting after her. It is not the image in our minds that is sinful, it's how we respond to the image. Sin does begin in the mind, but it can be snuffed out before it takes root.

Upvote 0

NeverL0ved

Oct 20, 2019
Brisbane, QLD
✟21,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Temptation is not sin. Satan tempted Lord Jesus in the wilderness. Did Lord Jesus run the idea around in His mind then say no? I don't know. Suffice to say that He rejected the temptation. It is possible to look at a woman without lusting after her. It is not the image in our minds that is sinful, it's how we respond to the image. Sin does begin in the mind, but it can be snuffed out before it takes root.
But Jesus was sinless, body, mind and soul.

Upvote 0

NeverL0ved

Oct 20, 2019
Brisbane, QLD
✟21,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
If you were deliberately tempted by another you would know it.
Lets not get mixed up with semantics here. I am asking a simple question. Did Jesus battle offensive thoughts as we do? Because saying that Jesus was tempted by the Devil itself is not taking into account that we struggle with sin on a personal level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
But Jesus was sinless, body, mind and soul.
Of course. He had to be sinless. Being tempted is not sin. Satan sometimes deceives people into thinking they are the same. Absolutely not.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Then how did Jesus know he was been tempted?
Lord Jesus had a hot line to God. He did only what He saw the Father doing and said only what the Father was saying. So He was not about to take any of Satan's suggestions.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Jesus says it is:

Mind is like railway station. You do not have to board every train that arrives.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

NeverL0ved

Oct 20, 2019
Brisbane, QLD
✟21,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Of course. He had to be sinless. Being tempted is not sin. Satan sometimes deceives people into thinking they are the same. Absolutely not.

Lord Jesus had a hot line to God. He did only what He saw the Father doing and said only what the Father was saying. So He was not about to take any of Satan's suggestions.

Mind is like railway station. You do not have to board every train that arrives.
So basically the answer I am receiving is Jesus had thoughts implanted in his mind by Satan, but dismissed those thoughts and thereby keeping sinless.

But my question is not about Satan implanting thoughts in our mind's, but our own choice to sin and rebel against God. If it all comes down to Jesus experiencing what Satan is tempting us with, then Jesus is still missing the other half of the human equation.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lets not get mixed up with semantics here. I am asking a simple question. Did Jesus battle offensive thoughts as we do? Because saying that Jesus was tempted by the Devil itself is not taking into account that we struggle with sin on a personal level.

Jesus made it clear that "to think it is to do it". If he 'thought it' he would be guilty of sin. Have you ever thought to keep something you found that you know belongs to someone else? Likely your first thought is to find out who it belongs to, and to make every effort to return it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NeverL0ved

Oct 20, 2019
Brisbane, QLD
✟21,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Jesus made it clear that "to think it is to do it". If he 'thought it' he would be guilty of sin. Have you ever thought to keep something you found that you know belongs to someone else? Likely your first thought is to find out who it belongs to, and to make every effort to return it.
You know I have :D

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,539.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Good point. ^_^

I typed out a post which normally takes some pains
in typing and passed my censor,
and then it come out as one of them,
"click to expand" bummers,

I can not be bothered to type it again.
so you Christians will have to try and hold the fort.

Hohoho.

• Informative
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0