A question for JWs about the use of "Jehovah" in Colossians

Clearly

Mar 31, 2010
✟8,723.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Revelation testament said : We also have Him saying John 8:47 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. Here the word Θεοῦ in singular form is being used for "God." But I believe Jesus may have said JHWH ie ye are not of JHWH. But frustratingly, I cannot prove that from our existing texts....

While I doubt from what you have said that you can help me here, any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Hi RevelationTestament :

1) I agree that I do not think I will be of any help in this for you. I think any significant, truly accurate back-translating cannot be done given the limitation of back-translating in general, and specifically, for Jn 8:47, there are no extant greek variants for this word in ANY greek manuscript considered by critical texts.

2) My point in saying "be careful" terms of trying to add words together is that, while greeks LOVED to add words onto other words to make other words and meanings, even in their language, the resultant meaning may not resemble the two words one combines. Also, there are a lot of symbolic nuances in texts that cannot be seen in English.

While English may say “He that is of God hears the words of God; therefore, you hear them not, because ye are not of God.”, the hinted hebrew-greek implication may be toward obedience (rather than simply "hearing") , since hearing and obedience are very close linguistically (in greek).

Greek Jn 8:47 uses ακουω as the verb "to hear" in this sentence, yet "to obey" is created by simply adding a prefix, creating the greek word υπακουω. I have not bothered to look up the entymology but I am guessing the relationship is that hearing “underlies” obedience and thus υπ is the prefix, which, added to ακουω, creates the word used for “obedience” in this case.

However, someone simply adding the two word-symbols together might assume that υπ (“under”) and ακουω (to hear), might mean that the word means to “whisper”, or “hard of hearing”, etc. instead of “obedience”. While one can follow the logic of creating “whisper” or “hard of hearing” out of the first two word-symbols, it still results in error.

3) I forgot to clarify regarding erasmus’ first printed greek. Erasmus actually did not have a Greek text for the ENTIRE book of revelations and so “back translated” from Latin to Greek. Even for him, the result was messy and resulted in so many errors that other translators knew immediately that the greek translation that resulted from this back-translating, was not correct. This same problem will, I think, exist for you if you attempt a backwards translation. Not impossible, but I don’t know how it could be done, especially for such a contextually symbolic language such as religious Hebrew.

In any case, Good luck in your journey and, I think it is actually very, very good to break words down and try to look at them in the way you are looking at them since, generally, there is an association between the separate words and the words they create. There are a lot of exceptions but the mental exercise is good.

Clear

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why did God instruct Moses to tell Pharoah the great "I AM" sent him I thought that God the Fathers name was unpronounceable .. JHWH .. Jesus was the only name ever given as Gods pronounceable name

Here is a few questions that need answering

#1. ] Why is Jesus called "the firstborn of
all creation?" (Col 1:15)

#2. } Why did Jesus say he did not come
of his "own initiative" but was "sent
forth"? (John 8:42)

#3. ] Why did Jesus not know "the day or
the hour" of the Great Tribulation but only
God did? (Matt 24:36)

#4. ] Who did Jesus speak to in prayer?
(Matt 6:9, John 17:1)

#5. ] Why did Jesus say "the father is
greater than I am"? (John 14:28)

#6. ] How did Jesus "appear before the
person of God for us?" (Heb 9:24)

#7. ] Who spoke to Jesus at the time of
his baptism, saying, "this is my son"?
(Matt 3:17)

#8. ] How could Jesus be further exalted
to a superior position? (Phil 2:9,10)

#9. ] How can Jesus be the "mediator
between God and man" if he is God?
(1 Tim 2:5)

#10. ] Why did Paul say "the head of
Christ is God"? (1 Cor 11:3)

#11. ] Why did Jesus "hand over the
kingdom to his God" and "subject himself
to God" (1 Cor 15:24, 28)

#12. ] Who does Jesus refer to as MY GOD
( John 20:17)?

#13. ] Who is referred to prophetically at
Prov. 8:22-31?

#14. ] How does Jesus sit at God's right
hand? (Psalms 110:1)

#15. ] Why does John say "no man has
seen God at anytime"? (John 1:18)

#16. ] Why does he ask not to be called
"good," saying "nobody is good except
one, God"? (Luke 18:19)

#17. ] Why does Daniel say "to him were
GIVEN rulership…"? (Dan 7:13, 14)

#18. ] Why did people not die when they
saw Jesus? (Ex. 33:20)

#19. ] How was Jesus dead and God alive
at the same time? (Acts 2:24)

#20. ] Why did Jesus need someone to
save him? (Heb 5:7)

The answer is simple.

Jesus is not God but his beloved, only
begotten son and the Holy Spirit is Gods
powerful active force.
(Mark 9:7, Acts 10:38)

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is a few questions that need answering

#1. ] Why is Jesus called "the firstborn of
all creation?" (Col 1:15)

#2. } Why did Jesus say he did not come
of his "own initiative" but was "sent
forth"? (John 8:42)

#3. ] Why did Jesus not know "the day or
the hour" of the Great Tribulation but only
God did? (Matt 24:36)

#4. ] Who did Jesus speak to in prayer?
(Matt 6:9, John 17:1)

#5. ] Why did Jesus say "the father is
greater than I am"? (John 14:28)

#6. ] How did Jesus "appear before the
person of God for us?" (Heb 9:24)

#7. ] Who spoke to Jesus at the time of
his baptism, saying, "this is my son"?
(Matt 3:17)

#8. ] How could Jesus be further exalted
to a superior position? (Phil 2:9,10)

#9. ] How can Jesus be the "mediator
between God and man" if he is God?
(1 Tim 2:5)

#10. ] Why did Paul say "the head of
Christ is God"? (1 Cor 11:3)

#11. ] Why did Jesus "hand over the
kingdom to his God" and "subject himself
to God" (1 Cor 15:24, 28)

#12. ] Who does Jesus refer to as MY GOD
( John 20:17)?

#13. ] Who is referred to prophetically at
Prov. 8:22-31?

#14. ] How does Jesus sit at God's right
hand? (Psalms 110:1)

#15. ] Why does John say "no man has
seen God at anytime"? (John 1:18)

#16. ] Why does he ask not to be called
"good," saying "nobody is good except
one, God"? (Luke 18:19)

#17. ] Why does Daniel say "to him were
GIVEN rulership…"? (Dan 7:13, 14)

#18. ] Why did people not die when they
saw Jesus? (Ex. 33:20)

#19. ] How was Jesus dead and God alive
at the same time? (Acts 2:24)

#20. ] Why did Jesus need someone to
save him? (Heb 5:7)

The answer is simple.

powerful active force.

if Jesus is not God, why did God decide Jesus is the only one to be saved by after declaring only God can save..

how are God and Jesus declared as the alpha and the omega..

I thought the JW's believe Jesus is the arch angel michael in disguise...

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
...The answer is simple.

powerful active force.
Hello. Part of the reason I'm convinced that the appearance of Jesus was an appearance of the Divine is because John calls him "the Word of God made flesh".

The idea that "the Word of God" is a manifestation of God is a Jewish idea that predates Christianity. It's common in the Aramaic Targums, which are Jewish pre-Christian study Bibles.

So the idea that appearances of "the Word of God" are appearances of God himself are not inventions of later church fathers (or Constantine, etc.). It's a Jewish idea that was applied to Jesus by the apostle John. Any Jew reading that gospel would instantly understand that the manifestation of Jesus was a manifestation of God.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello. Part of the reason I'm convinced that the appearance of Jesus was an appearance of the Divine is because John calls him "the Word of God made flesh".

The idea that "the Word of God" is a manifestation of God is a Jewish idea that predates Christianity. It's common in the Aramaic Targums, which are Jewish pre-Christian study Bibles.

So the idea that appearances of "the Word of God" are appearances of God himself are not inventions of later church fathers (or Constantine, etc.). It's a Jewish idea that was applied to Jesus by the apostle John. Any Jew reading that gospel would instantly understand that the manifestation of Jesus was a manifestation of God.

Who did Jesus say was his Father to the Jewish leaders in this scripture, and what was Jesus revealing to them?

John 8:42-47 New International Version (NIV)

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”

He was relating what God the Almighty his Father who he belonged to had told him to say, that does not make Jesus God himself.

He also said

(John 8:54, 55) 54 Jesus answered: “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, the one who you say is your God. 55 Yet you have not known him, but I know him. And if I said I do not know him, I would be like you, a liar. But I do know him and am observing his word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if Jesus is not God, why did God decide Jesus is the only one to be saved by after declaring only God can save..

how are God and Jesus declared as the alpha and the omega..

I thought the JW's believe Jesus is the arch angel michael in disguise...

How are God and Jesus declared as the alpha and the omega..

Jesus was the first resurrection that God his father did personally and the last, was he not?

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How are God and Jesus declared as the alpha and the omega..

Jesus was the first resurrection that God his father did personally and the last, was he not?

is just God almighty the alpha and the omega the first and the last?? as in revelations..

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
is just God almighty the alpha and the omega the first and the last?? as in revelations..

The title “the Alpha and the Omega” applies to Jehovah, stressing that there was no almighty God before him and that there will be none after him. He is “the beginning and the end.” (Rev. 21:6; 22:13)

Although Jehovah is referred to as “the first and the last” at Revelation 22:13, in that there is none before or after him, the context in the first chapter of Revelation shows that the title “the First and the Last” there applies to Jesus Christ. He was the first human to be resurrected to immortal spirit life and the last one to be so resurrected by Jehovah personally.—Col. 1:18.

(Colossians 1:18) and he is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might become the one who is first in all things;

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The title “the Alpha and the Omega” applies to Jehovah, stressing that there was no almighty God before him and that there will be none after him. He is “the beginning and the end.” (Rev. 21:6; 22:13)

Although Jehovah is referred to as “the first and the last” at Revelation 22:13, in that there is none before or after him, the context in the first chapter of Revelation shows that the title “the First and the Last” there applies to Jesus Christ. He was the first human to be resurrected to immortal spirit life and the last one to be so resurrected by Jehovah personally.—Col. 1:18.

(Colossians 1:18) and he is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might become the one who is first in all things;

how can God and Jesus be the first and the last if they are not one in the same??

who in your opinion is Jesus???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
how can God and Jesus be the first and the last if they are not one in the same??

who in your opinion is Jesus???

You have to get what is being said into context.

(John 1:14) 14 So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of divine favour and truth.

(John 3:16) 16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. . .

(John 3:17-19) 17 For God did not send his Son into the world for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him. 18 Whoever exercises faith in him is not to be judged. Whoever does not exercise faith has been judged already, because he has not exercised faith in the name of the only-begotten Son of God. 19 Now this is the basis for judgement: that the light has come into the world, but men have loved the darkness rather than the light, for their works were wicked.

Should answer your question.

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have to get what is being said into context.

(John 1:14) 14 So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of divine favour and truth.

(John 3:16) 16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. . .

(John 3:17-19) 17 For God did not send his Son into the world for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him. 18 Whoever exercises faith in him is not to be judged. Whoever does not exercise faith has been judged already, because he has not exercised faith in the name of the only-begotten Son of God. 19 Now this is the basis for judgement: that the light has come into the world, but men have loved the darkness rather than the light, for their works were wicked.

Should answer your question.

it dances round my question it does not answer it...

so the son of a God , does that make him a God as well, so should we believe in more than one God??

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it dances round my question it does not answer it...

so the son of a God , does that make him a God as well, so should we believe in more than one God??

What do you think this scripture is saying?

(John 4:20-26) 21 Jesus said to her: “Believe me, woman, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, because salvation begins with the Jews. 23 Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.

In this Scripture it reveals who the Father is

(Psalm 83:18) May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

Which God are you worshipping remember the Lord's prayer

(Matthew 6:9) 9 “You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.

Who's name was to be sanctified?

This scripture tells you

(Ezekiel 36:23) 23 ‘I will certainly sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the nations, which you profaned among them; and the nations will have to know that I am Jehovah,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘when I am sanctified among you before their eyes. . .

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so who is Jesus or am i missing your point here???

Yes you are big time

Don't forget

(1 Timothy 2:5) 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,

What does Jesus’ role as Mediator involve?

Well, Jehovah applies the value of Jesus’ blood to those being brought into the new covenant.

In this way, Jehovah legally credits them with righteousness. (Rom. 3:24; Heb. 9:15)

God can then take them into the new covenant with the prospect of their becoming heavenly king-priests!

As their Mediator, Jesus assists them in maintaining a clean standing before God.—Heb. 2:16.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes you are big time

Don't forget

(1 Timothy 2:5) 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,

What does Jesus’ role as Mediator involve?

Well, Jehovah applies the value of Jesus’ blood to those being brought into the new covenant.

In this way, Jehovah legally credits them with righteousness. (Rom. 3:24; Heb. 9:15)

God can then take them into the new covenant with the prospect of their becoming heavenly king-priests!

As their Mediator, Jesus assists them in maintaining a clean standing before God.—Heb. 2:16.

ok, so now I am confused, if Jesus isn't God, he is the son of God but a son of God is not a God himself...

can you just tell me who you think Jesus is as opposed to who he isn't??

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
ok, so now I am confused, if Jesus isn't God, he is the son of God but a son of God is not a God himself...

can you just tell me who you think Jesus is as opposed to who he isn't??

Well thanks for clarifying that Joney. Since Jesus gives us power to become sons and daughters of God, we can all be God....

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well thanks for clarifying that Joney. Since Jesus gives us power to become sons and daughters of God, we can all be God....

adopted sons and daughters don't have divine gene's i'm afraid, only the mormons believe we can actually become gods...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0