THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IF, all Christians suddenly agreed with full preterism, and believed that all the end time prophecies were fullfilled in 70AD, then this forum would not exist.

So let's pretend that everyone at this forum is a full preterist, and just shut this whole forum down, because this forum would then be a forum about history. Is this a forum about history? Full preterists would have us believe that this is a forum about history. So let us all agree that all end times prophecy has been fullfilled, and shut this forum down.

Full preterists: What is your goal here? To shut this forum down, correct? Convince and prove your views are correct, and once we are in agreement with you, this forum will be shut down, because this forum will then be about history.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the reason for the forum to exist is that not everyone is convinced.

I see preterism as an interesting topic for debates on boring days, but I don't personally care much. Let's compare:

* Christ was simply incorrect when He said these things would come to pass soon: I should live my life morally, and have faith in God.

* These things came to pass in 70AD: I should live my life morally, and have faith in God.

* These things have not yet come to pass: I should live my life morally, and have faith in God.

It doesn't *MATTER*! The rules don't change.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by seebs
I see preterism as an interesting topic for debates on boring days...

Believe me, I also think FULL preterism is an interesting subject and their beliefs have a place at this website. But their beliefs(FULL preterists) are of an historical nature. This forum is about future predictions ie prophecy unfullfilled.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Auntie_Belle_Um

Believe me, I also think FULL preterism is an interesting subject and their beliefs have a place at this website. But their beliefs(FULL preterists) are of an historical nature. This forum is about future predictions ie prophecy unfullfilled. [/B]

Auntie, I am glad you have expressed a desire to learn more about the doctorine of preterism. I shall do me level best to provide sober reason for my faith.

First of all, due to the re-organization of the forum, this section is now about all things relating to eschatology.

Please refer to my thread "what is eschatology" for an outline of the 4 main veiws on eschatology held throughoput the history of the Church.

Futurism is one of the 4, but is no longer the only eschatological view acceptable for discussion in this section.

Now as to your question:
What is your goal here? To shut this forum down, correct? Convince and prove your views are correct, and once we are in agreement with you, this forum will be shut down, because this forum will then be about history.

My Goal is not to shut anything down, but open it up!
My goal is to share what I believe in, and respect what others believe in. This forum is about the "end times". Now, whether they are past or future makes no difference when it comes to the validity of continued discussion in the eschatology section.

I am not threatened by those who hold to the future fulfillment of these things, for we all are brothers and sisters in Christ. I do not claim that a belief in a future fulfillment risks ones salvation status, or destroys my faith.

Is it too much to ask the same treatment in return?

I maintain that scripture is my final authority, and I believe scripture supports my view, and I will continue to give sober reason for it to all who call me to account.

I look forward to your continued questions, and I trust you will afford me the same courtesy for my questions to you.

In the Victory of Christ,
P70

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by seebs
Christ was simply incorrect when He said these things would come to pass soon: I should live my life morally, and have faith in God.

Hi Seebs,

The only issue I have is with the first example you posted, which I quoted above.

If Christ was wrong about the "timing" how can we trust He was right about anything else he said?

Otherwise, you are correct that the underlying factors do not change.

Keep up the good insight!

YBIC,
P70

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FULL preterism views are all about history.

YES! and this forum is for all eschatological views, past present or future!

Isn't it great that we have been provided with a place to discuss them together?!

YBIC,
P70

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by parousia70

Hi Seebs,

The only issue I have is with the first example you posted, which I quoted above.

If Christ was wrong about the "timing" how can we trust He was right about anything else he said?

Otherwise, you are correct that the underlying factors do not change.

The only way to trust that is to observe that *everything else* that I can test was right... I guess I could hypothesize that, as a human, He no longer *knew* the future all the time... but that starts getting silly.

Still... In the end, you could prove that Christ never physically lived, and I'd still have faith in salvation.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it very amusing that I am having a conversation with Sponge Bob. :D :D

But seriously, if Erwin says FULL preterism historical events should be a part of unfullfilled prophecy, then I am out of line here. But it is odd to me that historical events should be in a forum about unfullfilled prophecy.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And, perhaps I should add, I originally came to this forum to discuss unfullfilled prophecy. After being here a while, I discovered that most threads turned into threads about historical events. So I left this forum, because it had become a forum about history. If historical events continue to be the main topic here, then I am unable to discuss unfullfilled prophecy and I have no purpose here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by RKF
...new doctrine usually do that to people, it makes them question what they believe in....

Preterism, full or partial, is not a new doctrine, and the discussion of FULL preterism has its place, just not in this forum.

Perhaps the forum below would be a great place to debate FULL preterism:
Bibliology & Hermeneutics - The study of the Bible and Scriptures, and its interpretation and translation.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Preterism, full or partial, is not a new doctrine, and the discussion of FULL preterism has its place, just not in this forum.

I can't see why not. If we're to discuss a given prophecy, then all interpretations of that prophecy should be topical.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But seriously, if Erwin says FULL preterism historical events should be a part of unfullfilled prophecy, then I am out of line here. But it is odd to me that historical events should be in a forum about unfullfilled prophecy....I originally came to this forum to discuss unfullfilled prophecy.

Aunti, as I have pointed out, this forum is about eschatology, whether your view is that it is fulfilled or not.

Fulfilled eschatology is still eschatology, thus it belongs in the eschatology section. My Guess is that the owners and operators of this site recognized this fact, and adjusted the forum accordingly.

Should you choose to start a thread about "unfulfilled prophesies" I would have no desire to disrupt or otherwise enter the discussion except by invitation, or to share with you prophesies that I believe are being fulfilled today and on into the future, although, since not all prophesy is of an eschatological nature, none of the prophesies that I believe will be fulfilled in the future would belong in the eschatology section. As such, I would not find that thread of any interest to me, and would probably choose to ignore it, as you are free to choose to ignore threads of no interest to you, which I'm sure you already do, since you do not post on every thread.

It does appear however, that your are interested in fulfilled eschatology or you would not have taken the time to start this enjoyable thread.

Anyway, However you excercize that choice, Happy Posting!
YBIC,
P70

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The discussion of historically fullfilled prophecy is appropriate at this board, but only in the context that it points to and reveals unfullfilled prophecy and the return of Jesus Christ.

If the people at this forum prefer to believe that Jesus has already returned, and that is the witness of this forum(that Jesus has already returned), then I certainly don't belong here.

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
The discussion of historically fullfilled prophecy is appropriate at this board, but only in the context that it points to and reveals unfullfilled prophecy and the return of Jesus Christ.

G'day Auntie :)

It seems a little wrong just to label "fulfilled prophecy" as ONLY historical and therefore not relevant to this section of the board. This view affects how we live today and plan for tomorrow. If the "historical" element of prophecy becomes a means of banishment -then lets hear no more of those historical claims about Israel coming back into her land last century teachings etc [get my drift -it is inconsistant].

If something has meaning ONLY because it is yet unfulfilled [like the bulk of dispensationalism] then we're all left hanging in the air. The truth is -historical fulfillment is powerful -take a look at the Cross -"it is finished."

davo

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If the people at this forum prefer to believe that Jesus has already returned, and that is the witness of this forum(that Jesus has already returned), then I certainly don't belong here.

What if the forum contains both groups, and they share ideas? That sounds like a great thing, and I'm glad to see it.

Especially because I personally find the issue mostly irrelevant, and I was sick of having all the preterism threads in other boards. :)

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Auntie,

Although preterist posts are allowed in this forum since it is an alternate eschatological view, I do not want you or any of the futurist members to leave this forum.

Keep posting about futurist issues, and discuss prophecy and future events. I would ask preterist members to leave such threads alone.

This forum is large enough for members who want to discuss various different eschatological viewpoints.

If you or any other member has any problems or questions, just PM me - I would be glad to discuss this personally with you. :)

God bless you all!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.