Status
Not open for further replies.

ej

hopeless romantic
Apr 1, 2003
✟16,563.00
Faith
Catholic
At the risk of entering into discussion, I feel the need to defend myself as I have been misrepresented...

I believe in Hell. However, I believe that we are judged by Jesus when He comes again, NOT by humans and adherence to their doctrines. A soul who has not yet proclaimed Jesus can still gain salvation. It is not the place of any human to determine who will and who will not be saved on Judgement Day.

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
ej said:
[/color][/size]
That a just and good God would condemn a person to eternal punishment in Hell

The minister is new, and wanted to get to know the longstanding church members.

This sounds like a far more healthy and accurate interpretation :)
this is where we drew the conclusion that you [rather your husband] dont believe in hell. The sentence implies that a just god would send no one to hell.

Upvote 0

JOYfulbeliever

Oct 10, 2002
✟3,922.00
Faith
Baptist
FreeinChrist said:
Then you do disagree with ej in regards to eternal punishment, right?

I'm asking just for clarification. In reading the OP and the following posts, I don't see ej as believing in eternal punishment.
Perhaps we should ask ej what she believes before we all make assumptions! ;)

I didn't gather the same thing that you did from ej's posts. What I have understood ej as (and ej, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong in this ;) :hug: ) is not that there is no eternal punishment, but that she doesn't believe that God automatically condemns someone to hell. Instead, that God offers salvation to any who are willing to accept it - He doesn't pick and choose who gets salvation and pick and choose who He condemns to hell. Ej said:

ej said:
Regarding the first point, it is not the proclaiming of Jesus' name that I struggle to understand, but the condemnation of thse who do not, to eternal punishment in Hell. I have been under the impression that a just and loving God allows souls to be saved through repentance, and that we shall all, living and dead, be judged when He comes again.
Hell is a very real place, and God said on more than one occasion that those who reject Him, He will not know them in eternity - meaning they will be separated from Him and will spend eternity in hell.

I guess I can see where your thoughts of what ej is saying is coming, but I just didn't gather the same thing when I read it.

Ej, would you be willing to clarify your beliefs? It seems as though there is a misunderstanding among us! ;)

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,765,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ej said:
At the risk of entering into discussion, I feel the need to defend myself as I have been misrepresented...

I believe in Hell. However, I believe that we are judged by Jesus when He comes again, NOT by humans and adherence to their doctrines. A soul who has not yet proclaimed Jesus can still gain salvation. It is not the place of any human to determine who will and who will not be saved on Judgement Day.
Thank you for the clarification. Your post to me gave the implication that you did not believe God would condemn anyone to hell.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the Baptist church position as well? I suggest this because, having been a Baptist for decades, Baptists also believe that condemnation to hell is made by God and not man. You are misrepresenting a denomination by suggesting otherwise. Baptist churches believe that once a person accepts Christ and is washed clean, there is no furthur condemnation. (Romans 8:1) Instead, they face the judgement seat of Christ, in heaven, to be rewarded or not rewarded for actions in life. But having accepted Christ, they already guaranteed eternal life in Christ, having been sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit.
Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of {God's own} possession, to the praise of His glory.

2Cr 1:21 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God,
2Cr 1:22 who also sealed us and gave {us} the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge

It is only those who do not have Jesus who are condemned to hell. That is the position of every Baptist church I know.

Now again, I feel there is more to this story than you are sharing...but ...

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,765,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And to clarify my confusion over your position - let's look at the OP.

ej said:
Secondly, I read the list of beliefs, and I would not be able to profess belief in them all either. Two in particular which I cannot profess to believing:

1 - Those who proclaim His name will be rewarded in heaven; those who do not will suffer eternal punishment in Hell

2 - Baptism by immersion is ESSENTIAL for salvation and entry into God's kingdom
It would be nice to read the actual statement of belief by that church. Perhaps they are referring to this verse:
Mat 10:32 "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.Mat 10:33 "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.
The Greek word tranlated as confess here is also translated as declare and profess elsewhere. To deny a person before the Father is to condemn him to hell, agree?

I gather that the particular church your husband-to-be attended believed that public profession of faith was an important component to salvation. I believe that Jesus felt public profession was an important act of a true follower. We are not to hide our light.

Upvote 0

Jesus_is_my_Lord

Disciple
Jan 15, 2004
Toronto Area
✟7,630.00
Faith
Christian
ej said:
:wave: Greetings all, may you have a blessed New Year...

I spent a wonderful Christmas with my husband-to-be and his family.
They are part of a Baptist church, and a close-knit community within the church.

Their love, acceptance and prayers made my Christmas a very peaceful and happy one, and for that I am grateful :)

The beauty was marred by a strange occurrence though... my boyfriend was recently asked (by the minister) to remove himself from the list of church members, because after a discussion with the minister, he admitted that he did not conform to all of the church's statement of beliefs.

Firstly, I am horrified that a church would reject a member because they struggle with their beliefs.

Secondly, I read the list of beliefs, and I would not be able to profess belief in them all either. Two in particular which I cannot profess to believing:

1 - Those who proclaim His name will be rewarded in heaven; those who do not will suffer eternal punishment in Hell

2 - Baptism by immersion is ESSENTIAL for salvation and entry into God's kingdom

Can anybody help me with understanding this?
Many thanks
:prayer:
What about the thief on the cross was he baptised? Did he go to heaven?
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?

1. It is the symbol of Christ's burial and resurrection. "Christ died for our sins...he was buried...and he rose again." (1 Corinthians 15:3-4) "For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ." (Col. 2:12)

2. It is a symbol of your new life as a Christian. "When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!" (2 Cor. 5:17) "By our baptism then we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead also we might live a new life!" (Romans 6:4) Baptism does not make you a believer, it shows that you already are one! Baptism does not save you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring - it's the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith...it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Jesus said "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matt. 28:19-20)

"many of the Corinthians who heard him believed and were baptized." (Acts 18:8)

"We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands." (1 John 2:3)

Believe and be baptised.. Not baptised and then believe... A person has to make that decison and not someone for them. When we go to Heaven.. we will stand ALONE and noone but Jesus will be our advocate. Our parents faith will not save us nor the church.

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus_is_my_Lord said:
Our parents faith will not save us nor the church.
Hi there...

Can you please elaborate on your meaning when you say, "nor the church"?

What church are you referring to?

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2) is contrary to Baptist in general, this is the distinguishing remark that of Baptist, that baptism is only symbol and does not save

There are many different bapstist denominaitons. And man "baptist" churches are only affiliated with those that run the church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.