Kind David

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
✟7,612.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just out of curiosity, if you don't believe that God is real, what do you believe governs reality? What's your theory? What is it that determines the rules of physics, the architecture of everything that is?
Why would "reality" need a governor? And how could a governor of reality govern?

A "theory" is a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena. Using the scientific method a theory is tested. Hypotheses are made. Then tested.

Having no belief in a god or gods is not a theory. Postulating invisible beings who "govern reality" is not a theory. It can not be tested. Believing in invisible beings is a faith. Believing that there is a "governor of reality" is exactly the same as believing that there is a Rain god who controls the weather, or that there is a god of Love who makes people fall in love with each other.

Finally how would a governor of reality "determine" the rules of physics? Or is that just one more super power your god has that we puny humans will never know?

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. Some context to that picture:

It's me at a music festival in Sweden, keeping a drunk girl who was wobbly on her feet from falling flat on her face. That's my wife standing next to me.

It was a bit of a challenge keeping my hands from rising too far as I held on to the drunk girl. I managed to get her to a chair before I crossed a line, though just barely. Someone snapped a shot of me that lends a suitably heroic air to the experience.

eudaimonia,

Mark
:D I automatically assumed that the woman in your arms was your girlfriend, in trance due to techno and sleep deprivation. Oh well.

Upvote 0

PhilosophicalBluster

Existential Good-for-Nothing (See: Philosopher)
Dec 2, 2008
✟16,346.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In the beginning, Eris created the other gods. She wouldn't have if she had known that they'd take her credit for the whole ordeal. Eris then created the universe (this generally considered to be a bad idea). This all actually happened last Thursday, but Eris, being the goddess of chaos, decided to make it look 13.7 billion years old. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Douglas Adams! Huzzah!

Upvote 0

griggs1947

Jun 22, 2007
✟15,210.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Mark, how right you are about that chain of explanations. Theists beg the question and special plead to exempt God from that query; William Sahakian maintains that we commit the fallacy of multiple questions thereby. No, it is appropriate to query what made Him and what designed Him?

Upvote 0

ExistencePrecedesEssence

Fools seem to ruin even the worst of things!
Mar 23, 2007
Northern Kentucky
✟20,112.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Mark, how right you are about that chain of explanations. Theists beg the question and special plead to exempt God from that query; William Sahakian maintains that we commit the fallacy of multiple questions thereby. No, it is appropriate to query what made Him and what designed Him?
You should try and make your communication skills less pretentious.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If there is an all-powerful God, the laws of conservation mean nothing to Him, he, being all-powerful, can literally do anything, as such Laws are created and defined by Him.
What if they aren't? What if God is as limited by the natural laws as we are?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Existence just is. Were there God, then there could be nothing! How could there be nothing as the law of conservaton shows the eternity of the void?
High level theologians accept that but still posit God as the explanation why and that He sustains Existence
I'm a level 18 Cleric and I concur :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tikiman06

Feb 13, 2009
✟7,656.00
Faith
Lutheran
Not everyone defines God as an omnipotence, and not everyone defines omnipotence in the same way.

Either way, God, if creator of everything, logically created not only the world, but the fundamental laws that govern it, and it is more than conceivable that God predates universal laws.

Also, whoever said that we should ask who created God, the theory held by most people is that God created himself, being a self-creating substance (according to some that is, not necessarily what I believe.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CauseAndEffect

Feb 22, 2009
✟15,125.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just out of curiosity, if you don't believe that God is real, what do you believe governs reality? What's your theory? What is it that determines the rules of physics, the architecture of everything that is?

I don't exactly what governs reality nor do I have a theory. In so far as the behavior of matter and energy ( i.e. that which comprises material and physical reality) it would be causality ( at least in terms of aggregate matter - quantum physics is different) An important thing to understand is that when we observe reality, more specifically, the behavior of matter and energy in said reality, it is our minds that are assigning particular value to these observations. The values could be names or even something interpreted to appear 'orderly.' We often marvel at the reality around us and notice how consistent matter and energy behave, how predictable yet how grandiose reality can be. The drive to understand the great principles of the universe often seems so large that we sometimes feel we are too puny to understand. Thus some of us would like to imagine a 'superhuman' or 'god' is the answer but, truly, god is a non answer. God as an answer only begs more questions. So it seems to me that the universe is orderly but it is also not this way. The larger, human, level of perception seems to yield evidence of order and majesty when observing our world and beyond. Yet, at the quantum level, there is a beauty like no other, something so absurd , something so pure, something so unordered, the very essence of what is, utterly splendid chaos.:)

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves.
Oct 10, 2004
Through the cables and the underground ...
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Either way, God, if creator of everything, logically created not only the world, but the fundamental laws that govern it, and it is more than conceivable that God predates universal laws.

No, it is not conceivalbe. The statement "God can create universal laws" would be such a fundametal, universal law already.

Upvote 0