Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope that this is the correct sub-forum for my question; while I am not entirely a new Christian, my question is kind of a new Christian's question.

About a dozen years ago I first officially became a Christian by being baptized into the Catholic Church (as an adult). Over time, I fell away from the Catholic Church and took a very long trip into some extremely dark places (Paganism, Witchcraft, and even Satanism). I was in severe rebellion.

As I have since returned to Christ, I find myself wondering whether I need to be baptized again. I ask partly because 1.) I spent years denying and opposing Christ, and partly because 2.) my Catholic baptism was (as many know) baptism by pouring, not by immersion.

I understand that there is likely disagreement among Christians regarding whether immersion is necessary, or if "sprinkling" is acceptable.

I appreciate input from everyone willing to share their thoughts/beliefs/proofs.

Thank you in advance!

EDITED TO ADD: I am not planning to attend the Catholic Church any longer. I will be pursuing a Protestant understanding and practice of the Faith.

Last edited:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
About a dozen years ago I first officially became a Christian by being baptized into the Catholic Church (as an adult). Over time, I fell away from the Catholic Church and took a very long trip into some extremely dark places (Paganism, Witchcraft, and even Satanism).

As I have since returned to Christ, I find myself wondering whether I need to be baptized again.
No. The sacrament is indelible. There are what are called "conditional" baptisms, but there otherwise is no such a thing as a "re-baptism" (unless you belong to one of the Baptist churches or another that is related to those).

I ask partly because 1.) I spent years denying and opposing Christ, and partly because 2.) my Catholic baptism was (as many know) baptism by pouring, not by immersion.
So long as water hit you, it's all the same. ;)

Catholics (if that is your church of choice) rarely are baptized by immersion, and that is the norm also with most of the mainline Protestant denominations. Eastern Orthodox churches do, however, favor immersion.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're saved by the grace given by God through Jesus Christ, not by baptism. Your baptism was a sign and seal of God's forgiveness and grace that is given to you. You don't need to be baptised again. You only need to rejoice that God's grace brought you back. See, God is good!

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope that this is the correct sub-forum for my question; while I am not entirely a new Christian, my question is kind of a new Christian's question.

About a dozen years ago I first officially became a Christian by being baptized into the Catholic Church (as an adult). Over time, I fell away from the Catholic Church and took a very long trip into some extremely dark places (Paganism, Witchcraft, and even Satanism). I was in severe rebellion.

As I have since returned to Christ, I find myself wondering whether I need to be baptized again. I ask partly because 1.) I spent years denying and opposing Christ, and partly because 2.) my Catholic baptism was (as many know) baptism by pouring, not by immersion.

I understand that there is likely disagreement among Christians regarding whether immersion is necessary, or if "sprinkling" is acceptable.

I appreciate input from everyone willing to share their thoughts/beliefs/proofs.

Thank you in advance!
Repentance is more important than baptism at this point. You may need Christian instruction and fellowship. The Gospels, Acts and the Epistles present some instructions. I read the entire Bible a couple of times, quickly forgetting much of what I read, except for some key passages. The violent passages warped me. I need to learn Jesus’ way of discipline, truthfulness and non-violence. After years reviewing the Bible and other books, I am happier as I have evidence God knows everything.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

!

His Word teaches baptism by immersion ... is indeed what the word baptize means.

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church.

Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings. (Matt. 28:19, 20; Acts 2:38; 16:30-33; 22:16; Rom. 6:1-6; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12, 13.)

Sometimes people get baptized more than once .... renewing their commitment to Christ and there is nothing wrong in doing so.

If you are being led to do so .... then by all means .... do so ;o)

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Thank you in advance!
Romans 6:
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were
baptized into His death?

4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was
raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

A baptism without this comprehension of its significance leaves you susceptible the kind of back
sliding that you experienced. Repenting from the rebellion, as brother dqh has already stated, is
critical. If you have left the Catholic Church and your new church home recommends or requests that
you participate in immersion, there is no law that says you cannot, but a decision based on your own
conscience.
1 Peter 3:21. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away
of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you in advance!

EDITED TO ADD: I am not planning to attend the Catholic Church any longer. I will be pursuing a Protestant understanding and practice of the Faith.
Receive His Holy Spirit. This is the baptism of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Be blessed
John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That...or wash or dip or douse or several other things. ;)

Greek

907 baptízō – properly, "submerge" (Souter); hence, baptize, to immerse (literally, "dip under"). 907 (baptízō) implies submersion ("immersion"), in contrast to 472 /antéxomai ("sprinkle").

However, being baptized does not save you .... Jesus does ;)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Thank you in advance!

Traditional Christian teaching is that once baptized, always baptized. One doesn't need to be baptized again, and in fact, it's impossible. That is to say, someone getting "re-baptized" is just getting wet.

When a baptized Christian falls away, they simply need to come back. Jesus says He stands at the door and knocks. God is a loving Father who runs out to meet the returning prodigal son.

You can't undo what God has done for you in Baptism. Baptism is God's work, His word and promise to you, and His word never fails.

Keep in mind that I am speaking from a traditional, historic Christian perspective. And so there will be other opinions offered as well.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Since the beginning of Christianity the only thing that matters is that it is a Christian Baptism, which can be by immersion, pouring, or even sprinkling.

Here is a church manual known as the Didache, probably written sometime between 60 and 100 AD, and thus it provides us with historical evidence of exactly how Christians actually practiced from the earliest years of Christianity.

"And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before." - Didache, ch. 7

We know from other historical sources that the standard practice was three-fold immersion,

"When each of them to be baptized has gone down into the water, the one baptizing shall lay hands on each of them, asking, 'Do you believe in God the Father Almighty?' And the one being baptized shall answer, 'I believe.' He shall then baptize each of them once, laying his hand upon each of their heads. Then he shall ask, 'Do you believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was born of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and died, and rose on the third day living from the dead, and ascended into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of the Father, the one coming to judge the living and the dead?' When each has answered, 'I believe,' he shall baptize a second time. Then he shall ask, 'Do you believe in the Holy Spirit and the Holy Church and the resurrection of the flesh?' Then each being baptized shall answer, 'I believe.' And thus let him baptize a third time." - St. Hippolytus of Rome, Apostolic Traditions, c. 225 AD

So the standard practice was three-fold immersion, with pouring as an alternative when there was an insufficient amount of water for immersion.

In the Western Church, over time, pouring became the most common method of administering Baptism, while in the Eastern Church immersion remains standard.

Those who insist on "immersion-only", insisting that Baptism is by a single immersion and that alone, are going much further than what the Christian Church has ever believed or practiced. Three-fold immersion was the universal practice of the ancient Church, with three-fold pouring as an acceptable alternative. The only instance of the practice of single immersion I can recall from my studies is very late, around the 7th century, among the recently converted Visigoths of Spain; and was also considered legitimate. The quantity of water, and the exact way of applying water isn't what matters. What matters is the Baptism itself, whether by immersion or pouring or sprinkling, it doesn't matter.

Edited to add: One likely will find some people insisting that the Greek word from which we get baptize/baptism means "to dip", but this is incomplete and also slightly inaccurate. While bapto means "to dip", the word baptismos simply means "a washing". So we see St. Mark the Evangelist use this word to describe Jewish ritual washing of various things--cups, utensils, and furniture. The Jewish ritual hand-washing very specifically involves having running water poured over the hands, not immersing hands into water.

Further, Greek-speaking Christians are the ones who spoke of pouring as a legitimate form of baptism. And we should consider that they knew how to speak their own language. Imagine if you wrote down that you bathe every day by taking a shower, and then someone thousands of years later reading "I bathe by showering" and claiming you have to be wrong, because the English word "bathe" is related to "bath" and that it has to mean submerging yourself in a tub of water. Thus showering cannot be a valid way of bathing. It's the same thing here with the Greek.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Thank you in advance!

Since you are pursuing a Protestant understanding of the faith, you pick which kind of Protestant understanding you like and then you ask them what their rules are about being baptized for a second time. Your first and what should be only Christian baptism is indelible but they may not agree. You do need to figure out how you come clean from your sojourn through extremely dark places. For a Catholic that would include confession, possible deliverance prayers over you, and just maybe an exorcism.

• Friendly
Reactions: Dok Bantis
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
laying on of hands
Indeed. I totally forgot to ask whether the OP had been confirmed or not. It is, in a manner of speaking, the completion of baptism.

Upvote 0

Dok Bantis

This Earth Is Not My Home
Oct 27, 2020
Pacific NW
✟12,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you to everyone who has replied; I appreciate all of your posts.

I have no idea whether I will eventually end up within a denomination as my Christian home or not, so I didn't want to wait to ask about this. Right now I am trying to figure out so many things and it is honestly overwhelming.

Sometimes I feel as though what I need is a little from Column A and a little from Column B, etc. But the last thing I want is to be someone who seeks to impose their own will over the form, beliefs, and practices of my church. I want to do the best I can to find The Truth and then to see which church/denomination is the closest to that. But that feels a bit hopeless, to be honest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dok Bantis

This Earth Is Not My Home
Oct 27, 2020
Pacific NW
✟12,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. I totally forgot to ask whether the OP had been confirmed or not. It is, in a manner of speaking, the completion of baptism.
I have, indeed, been confirmed. I wish that the state of the Church were different, to be perfectly honest. I still have great love for Catholicism.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thank you in advance!

Question: "I have sinned. Do I need to be baptized again?"

Answer:
The question of whether a person who has sinned should be baptized again is a fairly common one. First, it is important that we understand what baptism is. Baptism does not save us or wash away our sins. Baptism is simply an illustration of what has occurred in a believer’s life when he/she believes in Jesus Christ. Baptism illustrates a believer’s union with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection. Romans 6:3-4 teaches us, “Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." The action of going under the water pictures being buried with Christ. The action of coming out of the water illustrates Christ’s resurrection and our identification with Him as we are raised to “walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4 KJV).

Baptism is important because it is a step of obedience—a public declaration of faith in Christ and commitment to Him, and identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. If we know Jesus Christ as Savior and understand what baptism signifies when we are baptized, then we do not need to be baptized again. If we did not know Jesus as Savior when we were baptized, then we do need to be baptized again. If we knew Jesus as Savior but did not truly understand what baptism signifies, then perhaps we do need to be rebaptized. But this is a matter of conscience between the believer and God.

It’s also important to understand that believers will continue to sin, although sin should have less and less of a hold on us as we mature in Christ, and the incidence of sinning should continue to lessen throughout our lives. When we do sin, we should confess it to God, asking Him to forgive us and to restore our intimate fellowship with Him. We have the promise that “he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). Nowhere does the Bible say we must be rebaptized to be forgiven. I have sinned. Do I need to be baptized again? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have, indeed, been confirmed. I wish that the state of the Church were different, to be perfectly honest. I still have great love for Catholicism.
The state of the Church has two aspects. One is that it is the bride of Christ, holy, beautiful, good, and true. The other aspect is that it's a bunch of bad men, either snakes in the grass or cowards, a cabal of abusers and those who are fearful of the cabal. That picture is neither beautiful or good, and it is based on a lie straight from hell. Both of these aspects exist at the same time. Both are real.

The second one has tentacles reaching all over the place, and into much of the Protestant camp as well. Sometimes it is much better hidden there, so people can pretend it does not exist there. It isn't part of the truth of the faith, but it has been an aspect of the state of the Church since Judas. It won't go away, never has gone away, but sometimes we fight it better than at other times.

SInce I moved in the spring, and due to Covid, I have been looking for a new parish. I've narrowed it down to four, and one of my real concerns is that they have actual prayer warriors. Among the four I think they all do. Point is there are parishes which are on minimal life support and others which are much better. But that's true everywhere. The trick is not being impressed by things which matter little.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Greek

907 baptízō – properly, "submerge" (Souter); hence, baptize, to immerse (literally, "dip under"). 907 (baptízō) implies submersion ("immersion"), in contrast to 472 /antéxomai ("sprinkle").
I'd agree that "sprinkling" wouldn't be a good translation, but the meaning certainly isn't confined to total immersion. Wash, dunk, and a number of other words in our language that do not mean immerse exclusively are correct translations.

Incidentally, relatively few churches routinely baptize by "sprinkling." But the word sounds funny, and that fact makes it a favorite of members of denominations of the Fundamentalist sort when setting out to ridicule the baptisms performed in the historic churches. These mainly baptize by pouring.

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thank you in advance!

water doesn't save , so if you look at it for some sort of relief or anything you won't obtain it.
There were disciples baptised by John the baptist and when Paul asked them if they received Holy Spirit they haven't even heared something like that before.
Then they got Holy Spirit and were sealed.

If you believe Jesus Christ was God incarnated , fullfilled prophecy and died for your sins you will receive Holy Spirit and be sealed the time you believe it and obtain eternal life doing so.

Upvote 0