Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Raised as a Protestant in Arlington, Texas, my childhood was simple. It was in adulthood that things got complicated with different beliefs, different faiths, and a difficult marriage. Now, years later, living as empty nesters on an acreage just outside of a small eastern Texas town, I’d have to say that my life is pretty complete — and much simpler again.

Working at a Catholic non-profit organization for 13 years, helping those who are incapable of helping themselves, has been extremely rewarding. I also have a passion for writing and hope one day to establish an animal rescue haven, since God has blessed me with a deep love of animals. But, as is usually the case with life, things weren’t always so idyllic.

A Troubled Marriage​

But let’s back up to those earlier times and my painful marriage to an abusive man, whom I had determined to divorce.

As an adult living in the city of Arlington, whose attendance at the local Protestant church was sparse at best, I could recall some Scripture, but I would never be able to find it for you in the Bible. I usually recognized Scripture as soon as I heard it, but I could rarely quote it correctly. Except John 3:16, of course. So, when a particular Scripture — Luke 16:18: “Every one who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery” — dropped into my head that day as I sat pondering my life as a soon-to-be single mother, I was pretty surprised. Why would that Scripture, of all things, have popped into my head? I dismissed it immediately. Who knew that verse would end up being such a “God moment” that it would lead me in search of an annulment — as a Protestant!?

That Old Time Religion​

Continued below.