A powerful letter from the wife of a inappropriate content addict...

Ren207

May 6, 2014
✟15,149.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Is inappropriate contentography a brain addiction? | Forward Press Publishing | Donald L. Hilton Jr. MD | inappropriate content Addiction

That was pretty good. Tho the TLDR version of current scientific findings could be summed up as: "inappropriate content addiction is similar to food, gambling and amphetamine addiction". When going for a catchy headline that doesn't sell nearly as well as "inappropriate content is WORSE than cocaine!!!1!"

Addiction is a tricky subject. It would make sense to research how to combat addiction but much of the world's economy absolutely depends on it. Who would want to fund a research that can crash the economy?

Regarding the letter in OP, I do feel for the woman who wrote it. Tho IMHO she should get a divorce, there is no trust left in that relationship (she believes her husband spends all his time at work watching inappropriate content and goes on expensive shopping sprees as an act of revenge...) It's a pity it has come down to this but...

The letter is addressed to her priest and it eloquently explains how betrayed she feels about the whole thing. Why don't couples discuss this subject with each other BEFORE they get married? inappropriate content is not exactly a new invention and the vast majority of men do consume it. Why is it such a surprise that your husband is also one of the majority?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was pretty good. Tho the TLDR version of current scientific findings could be summed up as: "inappropriate content addiction is similar to food, gambling and amphetamine addiction". When going for a catchy headline that doesn't sell nearly as well as "inappropriate content is WORSE than cocaine!!!1!"

Addiction is a tricky subject. It would make sense to research how to combat addiction but much of the world's economy absolutely depends on it. Who would want to fund a research that can crash the economy?

Regarding the letter in OP, I do feel for the woman who wrote it. Tho IMHO she should get a divorce, there is no trust left in that relationship (she believes her husband spends all his time at work watching inappropriate content and goes on expensive shopping sprees as an act of revenge...) It's a pity it has come down to this but...

The letter is addressed to her priest and it eloquently explains how betrayed she feels about the whole thing. Why don't couples discuss this subject with each other BEFORE they get married? inappropriate content is not exactly a new invention and the vast majority of men do consume it. Why is it such a surprise that your husband is also one of the majority?
Not many couples talk about inappropriate content addiction before marriage. She thought he was a devout catholic that was in line with the teachings of the Church. As Catholics they had months of counseling before marriage. I can see how she feels duped.

Upvote 0

Ren207

May 6, 2014
✟15,149.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Not many couples talk about inappropriate content addiction before marriage. She thought he was a devout catholic that was in line with the teachings of the Church. As Catholics they had months of counseling before marriage. I can see how she feels duped.

Wow. I have always thought that couples should attend some sort of course before they get married and have kids. The Catholic Church actually has that covered? :D Respect. :bow:

That being said, why isn't the issue of inappropriate content discussed during the counseling? Seems like an oversight. :confused:

Upvote 0

Ren207

May 6, 2014
✟15,149.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've heard that when you watch inappropriate content, you're watching someone commit adultery--so, people shouldn't find that entertaining (if they're a Christian), since they're breaking one of the ten commandments.

Not all inappropriate contentography is about watching a video (or image) of two people of flesh and blood performing devious acts tho. There is also hand-drawn and animated inappropriate content (Japan is really "productive" in that regard, they even have 3D video games where you can control the action -_- ).

Or do you not consider that as inappropriate content? :confused: As far as the addiction goes I don't see much difference. (And yeah I've been a consumer of all of that stuff. I'm a pig, sorry.)

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Not all inappropriate contentography is about watching a video (or image) of two people of flesh and blood performing devious acts tho. There is also hand-drawn and animated inappropriate content (Japan is really "productive" in that regard, they even have 3D video games where you can control the action -_- ).

Or do you not consider that as inappropriate content? :confused: As far as the addiction goes I don't see much difference. (And yeah I've been a consumer of all of that stuff. I'm a pig, sorry.)

It's all lame.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow. I have always thought that couples should attend some sort of course before they get married and have kids. The Catholic Church actually has that covered? :D Respect. :bow:

That being said, why isn't the issue of inappropriate content discussed during the counseling? Seems like an oversight. :confused:
It may have been but that does not mean everyone is forthcoming. I mean, he appeared to be a devout Catholic. Who knows? The RCC is usually pretty thorough.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And from the commentary:

I read those. I'm guessing that you did not, as none of them substantiate the claim that I questioned, that inappropriate contentography is more addictive than cocaine and heroin.

I've known inappropriate content addicts and I've known opiate addicts. I have yet to meet a person who was homeless due to inappropriate content. I have yet to lose a friend who held up a pharmacy and shot himself in a highway median after a police chase to get his inappropriate content fix. I have never known a person to die because they were locked up and couldn't get to their inappropriate content.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pointing out the extreme lengths you give and the homelessness and hold-ups, and death, isn't that an apples and oranges argument? You are arguing that inappropriate content isn't as addictive because people don't hold up liquor stores over inappropriate content or become homeless over inappropriate content. Why would they? How could you become homeless from inappropriate content? Why would you need to hold up a liquor store or bank for inappropriate content?

Addictive doesn't equal arrests, shooting oneself, and homelessness. Addiction is thinking you can't live without something. Addiction is when you keep something up without end. You've never heard of people binging inappropriate content for 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours? I have. You've never heard of people's work being affected and losing their jobs over inappropriate content? I have. You've never heard of marriages ending over inappropriate content? I sure have! You've never heard of sex addiction? Have you watched any of the legit studies about how the brain gets rewired and dopamine gets all screwed up and out of wack thanks to inappropriate content? People binge on inappropriate content and get caught up in it and it is like a gateway, man. You start with magazines, then videos, then peep shows then strip clubs then hookers and online virtual junk, spending thousands on it, ruining relationships.

They say that half of most churches are full of men looking at inappropriate content. Can we say that half of most churches are alcoholics or cocaine junkies?

I don't understand your argument.

I read those. I'm guessing that you did not, as none of them substantiate the claim that I questioned, that inappropriate contentography is more addictive than cocaine and heroin.

I've known inappropriate content addicts and I've known opiate addicts. I have yet to meet a person who was homeless due to inappropriate content. I have yet to lose a friend who held up a pharmacy and shot himself in a highway median after a police chase to get his inappropriate content fix. I have never known a person to die because they were locked up and couldn't get to their inappropriate content.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And? Does that discount the addiction & the harm it does? I'm not going to ignore the big picture for your nitpicking how an author titles his article.

inappropriate contentography is more available than it has ever been before. It is still being studied & so far the findings are not all that favorable. You are expecting long term results while professionals are still studying the ramifications & effects.

Instead of addressing the actual subject you still are finding fault with the things that deflect.

If you feel comfortable downplaying other's pain that have been through it then just go on & stick your head in the sand if it makes you feel better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pointing out the extreme lengths you give and the homelessness and hold-ups, and death, isn't that an apples and oranges argument? You are arguing that inappropriate content isn't as addictive because people don't hold up liquor stores over inappropriate content or become homeless over inappropriate content. Why would they? How could you become homeless from inappropriate content? Why would you need to hold up a liquor store or bank for inappropriate content?

Addictive doesn't equal arrests, shooting oneself, and homelessness. Addiction is thinking you can't live without something. Addiction is when you keep something up without end. You've never heard of people binging inappropriate content for 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours? I have. You've never heard of people's work being affected and losing their jobs over inappropriate content? I have. You've never heard of marriages ending over inappropriate content? I sure have! You've never heard of sex addiction? Have you watched any of the legit studies about how the brain gets rewired and dopamine gets all screwed up and out of wack thanks to inappropriate content? People binge on inappropriate content and get caught up in it and it is like a gateway, man. You start with magazines, then videos, then peep shows then strip clubs then hookers and online virtual junk, spending thousands on it, ruining relationships.

They say that half of most churches are full of men looking at inappropriate content. Can we say that half of most churches are alcoholics or cocaine junkies?

I don't understand your argument.
Great post Gurney. There is no reason for a Christian to go into apologetic fits over inappropriate contentography not being all that bad. Talk about tunnel vision.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
inappropriate content is a strange thing in Christian circles. Women use it to not respect or love their husbands. They use it as an excuse to get divorces and to refuse their husband's sex. All of this when the Bible doesn't even address inappropriate content in any way. I think church leaders need to get some common sense when it comes to this stuff, unless they are already compromised into holding the politically correct line that men are wrong. Which could be. I'm not one to say there aren't conspiracies out there that are aimed at undermining families via odd persecutions of things like masturbation and inappropriate content.

Lets get real here and look at romance novels women use like men use inappropriate content. Should men start persecuting women for such fantasies? No, men aren't that daft.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
inappropriate content is a strange thing in Christian circles. Women use it to not respect or love their husbands. They use it as an excuse to get divorces and to refuse their husband's sex. All of this when the Bible doesn't even address inappropriate content in any way. I think church leaders need to get some common sense when it comes to this stuff, unless they are already compromised into holding the politically correct line that men are wrong. Which could be. I'm not one to say there aren't conspiracies out there that are aimed at undermining families via odd persecutions of things like masturbation and inappropriate content.

Lets get real here and look at romance novels women use like men use inappropriate content. Should men start persecuting women for such fantasies? No, men aren't that daft.
Seriously? You do think the Bible does not address this issue? You think inappropriate content is only a male problem? The Church will never condone inappropriate content or masturbation. You're view is a very strange one. :confused:

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I heard a presentation on youtube by a group of women who work for "mens rights" because they see our culture as being harmed by modern Feminists. At least one of the women is an Atheist and I would wager that the others are as well. they had a very interesting talk about Romance Novels and inappropriate contentography, how our culture views male sexuality as predatory and female sexuality as harmless.
I can not link it here because they use VERY colorful language, but their youtube radio show is called "Honey Badger Radio" so you can find it fairly easily if you are so inclined.

you make some interesting points, divorce is not endorsed by the Church.

but instead of lifting up inappropriate contentography, we should take the fight against bad books that are marketed towards women.

The Church used to speak out on this, reminding people that reading bad books is a sin, you can hear this in old sermons and in the old "Examinations of Conscience" that they used to hand out (I saw a parish that still hands these out!)

it is like Christianity is now only interested in the bare minimum, what is the LEAST we can do and still be saved.
this is NOT the Christian message, this is a false gospel from the World, the Devil and the Flesh

heroic virtue should be the goal
being ever closer to our Lord, reflecting His holiness and mercy and love and justice in all that we do

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Seriously? You do think the Bible does not address this issue? You think inappropriate content is only a male problem? The Church will never condone inappropriate content or masturbation. You're view is a very strange one. :confused:

Where does the Bible address inappropriate content? Does the Church condone the way women are using inappropriate content to mistreat their husbands and abandon their families?

You can use inappropriate content to beat up on men to the extent that you use it to beat up on families. Go there if you feel God leads you to that.

There are real issues at stake. Beating up men over inappropriate content and masturbation is a good way to keep good men on the defensive so they will be incapable of leading their families and their communities against real threats.

Whose side are you on?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Where does the Bible address inappropriate content? Does the Church condone the way women are using inappropriate content to mistreat their husbands and abandon their families?

You can use inappropriate content to beat up on men to the extent that you use it to beat up on families. Go there if you feel God leads you to that.

There are real issues at stake. Beating up men over inappropriate content and masturbation is a good way to keep good men on the defensive so they will be incapable of leading their families and their communities against real threats.

Whose side are you on?

the destruction of the souls harms their ability to lead their family and community.

all sin harms the soul

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
the destruction of the souls harms their ability to lead their family and community.

all sin harms the soul

Where does the Bible say inappropriate content destroys the soul?

I feel like I'm pulling thread out of a cat's mouth slowly. Ever so slowly.

Does the Bible say simulations where men shoot guns and kill fake people destroys the soul?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where does the Bible address inappropriate content?
Um...lust? Adultery of the heart? Lust of the eyes? Fornication? Proverbs? You seriously think that looking at inappropriate content should be something a Christian should do?

Does the Church condone the way women are using inappropriate content to mistreat their husbands and abandon their families?
The Church does not condone that male or female.

LOL! Using inappropriate content to beat up on men? Seems you are getting very defensive.

Oh I see. Letting men view inappropriate content & touch & feed unnatural desires & fantasies makes them better husbands & fathers? LOL! No. Not to mention the crime & victimization in the inappropriate content industry. Getting your jollies watching others on their path to destruction does not seem like something Jesus would condone.
Whose side are you on?
I'm on the side of the Church.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
our Lord speaks

Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

you asked before "whose side are you on?"
that is a common mistake

you see injustice, the harm brought on by No Fault Divorce
you see double standards when it comes to sexuality
and you get mad
it is something to get mad about

but then you go to the other extreme
and that is a mistake too
we are called to be faithful to the Lord even in the face of injustice

Upvote 0