Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think that I might take an exception to the WCF Chapter 7, article 4 which reads:

IV. This covenant of grace is frequently set forth in scripture by the name of a testament, in reference to the death of Jesus Christ the Testator, and to the everlasting inheritance, with all things belonging to it, therein bequeathed.

I think it's a mistake to conflate the concept of covenant with the concept of testament. Jesus is our covenant mediator, not a testator.

Do you know if this is a common exception? Do you view this as a troubling exception?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I’m on the liberal end of the Presbyterian tradition, so subscription to the WCF isn’t on my agenda. But let me suggest that there’s some Biblical merit to the position you’re concerned about.

The reference is probably to Heb 9:16. It speaks of the new covenant as the result of the death of a testator of a will.

Personally I find that image a bit weird. But the underlying point is an important one. Right before his death, Christ said that he death was to establish a new covenant. Most see this as a reference to Jer 31:31. Heb 9 - 10 generally sees his death not so much as the death of a testator as a covenant sacrifice. I believe that was the implication in the Words of institution as well.

I realize that it’s Reformed doctrine that there is a single covenant, with the NT really a new administration of that single covenant. There’s something to be said for that view as well, Biblically. But still, the new covenant written in our hearts is an important point from Jesus, the author of Hebrews, and in a different sense, Paul. Rom 6 sees the result of our dying with Christ and rising to new life. He uses a third image for the same thing: rather than a will or a covenant sacrifice, he argues that everyone who dies is beyond sin, and through our union with Christ, we can also be beyond sin. I think this is Paul’s take on the new covenant written in our hearts.

I find the idea of a will the most awkward of the various ways Scripture refers to this, but still, WCF is right to talk about the new covenant which writes the Law in our hearts, established by Christ’s death. If my Church wanted subscription to the WCF, this part of it wouldn’t bother me.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Are you ordained or a candidate for ordination?

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Matt. 26:28, KJV

for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Matt. 26:28, ESV

It appears that in the seventeenth century the terms were synonymous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that I might take an exception to the WCF Chapter 7, article 4 which reads:

IV. This covenant of grace is frequently set forth in scripture by the name of a testament, in reference to the death of Jesus Christ the Testator, and to the everlasting inheritance, with all things belonging to it, therein bequeathed.

I think it's a mistake to conflate the concept of covenant with the concept of testament. Jesus is our covenant mediator, not a testator.

Do you know if this is a common exception? Do you view this as a troubling exception?
See the helpful discussion at PB here:
An Odd Question about WCF 7.4

For Our Lord it is a covenant. For the elect, a testament. ;)

Upvote 0