Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not that my signature has anything at all to do with the topic -- but that's how you've managed to show everyone you have no argument here. ^_^

No argument here?... Because there is nothing you offer that needs an argument. Its self contradictory.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
So? Santa was your creator?

If I told you he was, would you worship him just on my say so? What if I wrote a creation story where Santa Claus was the creator of the Universe, and I claimed to be inspired by Santa Claus, would you be convinced then?

You equate with what does not relate.

It most certainly does. You are asking us to believe in a deity for which there is no evidence, and I am doing the same.

Upvote 0

Delphiki

May 7, 2010
Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No argument here?... Because there is nothing you offer that needs an argument. Its self contradictory.

Sure there is. Unless you can prove that Allah won't send you to hell for not being Muslim. You've just missed the very-easy-to-grasp-for-most-people point.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sure there is. Unless you can prove that Allah won't send you to hell for not being Muslim. You've just missed the very-easy-to-grasp-for-most-people point.

Basically, why Pascal's wager is a stupid argument: of the hundreds, if not thousands, of religions that have existed, the statistical chances of yours being the correct one are so small that there is no real increase in the likelihood of having a positive afterlife by choosing to be religious.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I really hate it when people keep trying to use Pascal's wager. As if one can have true belief through that kind of persuasion anyway.

Still one of my favorite Carlin quotes:

"Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you!"--George Carlin

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I really hate it when people keep trying to use Pascal's wager. As if one can have true belief through that kind of persuasion anyway.

And the delicious irony in all this is that you, like the fundies, have ripped the argument out of its original context and are destroying a strawman.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
And the delicious irony in all this is that you, like the fundies, have ripped the argument out of its original context and are destroying a strawman.

True, however, if I am presented a strawman dressed up as a legitimate argument, then I feel obligated to burn that strawman down.

I will deal will a legitimate argument as a legitimate argument, and a strawman as a strawman.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

We have shown the weakness of the argument. If you replace the Judeo-Christian God with other gods, christians no longer take it seriously. Pascal's Wager requires you to believe in all gods which is self-defeating, especially since worshipping other gods to gain favor will cause the other gods to punish you.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
True, however, if I am presented a strawman dressed up as a legitimate argument, then I feel obligated to burn that strawman down.

I will deal will a legitimate argument as a legitimate argument, and a strawman as a strawman.

Your other thread didn't acknowledge this ;) but by all means keep burning down strawman. It won't teach you anything or change anyone's mind but it fills in time.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your other thread didn't acknowledge this ;) but by all means keep burning down strawman. It won't teach you anything or change anyone's mind but it fills in time.

I do not view Pascal's wager as legitimate. However, it usually takes superior logic to destroy an argument of lesser logic completely.

Death to Pascal's wager, one of the worst excuses anyone can have for being a theist.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We have shown the weakness of the argument. If you replace the Judeo-Christian God with other gods, christians no longer take it seriously. Pascal's Wager requires you to believe in all gods which is self-defeating, especially since worshipping other gods to gain favor will cause the other gods to punish you.

And that's the strawman! Pascals wager wasn't designed to choose between gods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But what evidence do you have to suggest that Hitler, homicidal maniac that he was, didn't believe in the scripture?
Hitler, like the scientist that he was, picked and chose from the Scriptures what he wanted to believe.

He probably didn't think Israel was the Promised Land.

He probably didn't think the Jews were God's chosen people.

He probably thought the Jews were witches who needed to die.

He probably thought survival of the fittest was nature's way of pruning.

He probably thought he was making the world better for mankind by ridding it of ignorant, Bronze Age, goat herding nomads.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hitler, like the scientist that he was, picked and chose from the Scriptures what he wanted to believe.

He probably didn't think Israel was the Promised Land.

He probably didn't think the Jews were God's chosen people.

He probably thought the Jews were witches who needed to die.

He probably thought survival of the fittest was nature's way of pruning.

He probably thought he was making the world better for mankind by ridding it of ignorant, Bronze Age, goat herding nomads.

Again, he was insane. His insanity warped mind is what primarily inspired his evil deeds, I don't think his beliefs had any significant impact on that.

Beliefs, no matter how twisted and sick, are still beliefs though. I am not claiming that Hitler was a good Christian or even a "true" Christian, only that he believed in god, and identified himself as Christian.

Come on, the dude had enough Jewish blood in his own family to qualify for his own death camps, dude was 100% nuts. His evil deeds and his religion are unrelated, although he did attempt to manipulate religion to justify his actions.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again, he was insane.
Who scored him as such?

Or are you just making an emotional comment?
His insanity warped mind is what primarily inspired his evil deeds, I don't think his beliefs had any significant impact on that.
Hitler was, in my opinion, demon possessed.
Beliefs, no matter how twisted and sick, are still beliefs though.
No argument there.

Like people thinking we should be out hunting witches to avoid being hypocrites.
I am not claiming that Hitler was a good Christian or even a "true" Christian, only that he believed in god, and identified himself as Christian.
Hitler had to identify himself as something, in order to get the votes he needed to become Chansellor (or Kaiser, or whatever it was).

Had it been a Muslim country, his belt buckle would have read: Allah with us.

Or in England: Darwin with us.
Come on, the dude had enough Jewish blood in his own family to qualify for his own death camps, dude was 100% nuts.
Or possessed ... something you wouldn't understand.
His evil deeds and his religion are unrelated,
Hitler chose science over religion as an excuse to do his deeds.

He started out religious, then the mask came off and science prevailed.

Sound like anyone on the horizon we know?
although he did attempt to manipulate religion to justify his actions.
Only to get the votes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.