Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Children of God
1 John 3:1a ESV

“See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.”

How do we become children of God? By faith in Jesus Christ. But, this faith is not human faith. It is not a feeling or an experience or an intellectual assent to who Jesus is. And, we don’t get to determine for ourselves what that faith should look like, because the faith to believe in Jesus is a gift from God.

So, what do the scriptures teach regarding who the children of God are?

In Romans 8 we read that the righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in us who walk (in lifestyle) not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For, if we live according to the flesh, we will die (in our sins). But, if by the Spirit we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, then we will live (with Christ for eternity). For we are children of God, provided we suffer with Christ in order that we may also be glorified with him (Rom. 8:1-17).

And, further on down in this passage in 1 John 3 we read that whoever makes a practice (habit, lifestyle) of sinning is of the devil, but whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as God is righteous.

“No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother” (1 John 3:9-10).

But, this is not our own doing. This is not about us just following a set of rules, nor is it about us trying to earn our salvation by good works.

For, the only way we can become children of God is that Jesus had to first die on a cross for our sins that we might become the righteousness of God. He had to give his life up for us so that we would now become God’s possession so that we might glorify God with our lives (1 Pet. 2:24; 1 Co. 6:20; 2 Co. 5:15, 21; Tit. 2:14).

So, all this comes from him. By faith in Jesus Christ we are delivered out of our slavery (bondage, addiction) to sin, and we are empowered of God to walk righteously before him, to follow him in his ways and in his truth.

We just have to yield control of our lives over to the Lord and let him be Lord of our lives. And, then we just have to do what he says in his power and strength at work within us. All glory to God! (Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17; Eph. 4:17-24; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Tit. 2:11-14; 1 Jn. 2:3-6; Lu. 9:23-26).

They Don’t Know Us
1 John 3:1b ESV

"The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him."

“The world” does not just consist of those who have made no profession of faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus said the world hated him, and yet his greatest persecutors were those who professed faith in God the Father – the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob – Father, Son (Jesus Christ) and Holy Spirit. And, they were leaders within the temple of God.

So, “the world” includes all who are still of the world in how they think, act, speak and live their lives.

They don’t know us. And, it doesn’t mean that they don’t know who we are. They are acquainted with us because we are their family members, or their neighbors, or their co-workers, or their fellow attendees at gatherings of the church. So, they know us, but they don’t really know us, for they don’t get us. They don’t understand what makes us tick or why we do the things we do. The way we live our lives doesn’t make sense to them.

So, they see us as out-of-touch with the world, as oddballs, as social misfits, and as those whose behaviors seem out of place to them. They may even think we are foolish or crazy. For they don’t understand why we do the things we do, i.e. why we live separate from the world of sin and unto God. They may not realize that we are living with purpose and that it is our intent to live apart from the world of sin and unto God, to which he has called us.

But, one of the reasons that the world, including the worldly adulterous church, might see us as odd, out-of-touch with reality, and as social misfits is that they don’t really know Jesus, either. They may claim to know him. They may read their Bibles and pray. They may attend gatherings of the church and even serve in positions of ministry or leadership, and still not know Jesus intimately, personally, which is why they don’t get him, either.

When Jesus walked the face of this earth, though at times he had large crowds following him, few really knew him intimately. Few really understood the passion of his heart, and who he truly was, and why he did things the way he did, and said things the way he did, too. For, many thought he was crazy, or of the devil, or odd, or out-of-touch with the world, too.

So, don’t be surprised, if you are truly following Jesus with your life, that you are not going to “fit” even with those who profess faith in Jesus Christ, but who are still living and thinking and behaving like the world. Don’t be surprised if they exclude you, if they shy away from you, if they think you are odd, and even if they hate and persecute you for your walk of faith with Jesus Christ, for this is what the religious, but worldly, did to Jesus, too.

He Purifies Himself
1 John 3:2-3 ESV

"Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.”

As God’s children, we are called to be a holy people, set apart from the world and unto God, because we are being made into the likeness of Christ. Although we live in the world, and among the people of the world, we are to live separate (unlike, different) from the world.

So, we should stand out as odd. We shouldn’t blend in with everyone else. We shouldn’t be ones that people flock to, nor should we be well liked by everyone.

And, that is because we shouldn’t be walking according to the flesh anymore, but we should be walking according to the Spirit. We should be purifying ourselves as Jesus is pure, via walks of obedience to our Lord, in his power and strength at work within us.

And, the more we grow in our faith and in fellowship with the Lord, the more we should be separating ourselves from the world of sin, and the more we should be becoming like Jesus.

So, we shouldn’t be viewing junk, taking in the garbage of the world, watching movies and videos which are contrary to holy living and to purity. We shouldn’t be listening to songs which glorify the flesh and which dishonor our Lord. We shouldn’t be playing games or watching movies or reading books that wander into what is of Satan, of demons and the occult, either.

We should measure all that we take into our minds, eyes, ears and hearts against the scriptures, in prayer, seeking God’s face, listening to what our Lord says, and then do what he says regarding what needs to be cut out of our lives and what we need to do in order to purify ourselves as he is pure.

Don’t worry about appearing odd or as a social misfit. Don’t worry about losing friends or having people reject you. It is Jesus we must serve! It is Jesus we must please, not the world. As children of God we are to die to the things of this world so that we can live in purity of devotion to our Lord. For, Jesus called us out of the world.

He didn’t put us here on this earth to blend in with the world or to immerse ourselves in our culture so that the people of this world will like us. We are to be leading people to Jesus, not to us.

And, leading them to Jesus is not leading them to a Jesus who just forgives them but who makes no requirements of them regarding walks of purity and of holiness. We need to be leading them to the Jesus of scripture who called us out of darkness into his wonderful light (out of sin into walks of obedience and surrender to him).

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,
Holy and harmless, patient and brave;
Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,
Willing to suffer others to save.

O to be like Thee! while I am pleading,
Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love;
Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,
Fit me for life and Heaven above.

Oh, to be like Thee! Oh, to be like Thee,
Blessèd Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

copyright status is public domain

*Caution: This link may contain ads

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Children of God
1 John 3:1a ESV

“See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.”

How do we become children of God? By faith in Jesus Christ. But, this faith is not human faith. It is not a feeling or an experience or an intellectual assent to who Jesus is. And, we don’t get to determine for ourselves what that faith should look like, because the faith to believe in Jesus is a gift from God.

So, what do the scriptures teach regarding who the children of God are?

In Romans 8 we read that the righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in us who walk (in lifestyle) not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For, if we live according to the flesh, we will die (in our sins). But, if by the Spirit we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, then we will live (with Christ for eternity). For we are children of God, provided we suffer with Christ in order that we may also be glorified with him (Rom. 8:1-17).

And, further on down in this passage in 1 John 3 we read that whoever makes a practice (habit, lifestyle) of sinning is of the devil, but whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as God is righteous.

“No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother” (1 John 3:9-10).
Frankly, I despise translations that use the "practice sin/righteousness" technique of accommodating sin in believers.
We are either of God's seed or not.
Can a grape vine "practice" bringing forth grapes?
Like once in a while figs will come from a grape seed?

On the whole I loved the post, but I can't ignore the old "practice" shenanigans.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I despise translations that use the "practice sin/righteousness" technique of accommodating sin in believers.
We are either of God's seed or not.
Can a grape vine "practice" bringing forth grapes?
Like once in a while figs will come from a grape seed?

On the whole I loved the post, but I can't ignore the old "practice" shenanigans.

Phil, what is the alternative translation? It would be to say that faith in Jesus Christ means we are now absolutely perfect, perfectly sinless, and that we never once sin again. And, if we aren't perfectly sinless, that means we don't really know God. So, then that would wipe out pretty much everyone who has ever professed faith in Jesus Christ since Jesus lived on the earth, including some of the apostles, too, perhaps.

And, then that would not fit with v. 1 of the previous chapter where John says he writes these things that they may not sin, but if anyone does sin they have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, who is the propitiation for our sins.

The Greek verb tense, from what I read, does lend itself to translating it as "practicing" and the KJV "sinneth" also does lend itself to a translation having to do with something that is continuous, ongoing, and habitual. And, translating it as "practicing" certainly fits with the theme of 1 John, as a whole, particularly in chapter 1 where it talks about walking in darkness versus walking in the light, which has to do with something that is ongoing, continuous, something being practiced, etc. which also fits with the book of Romans, in particular chapter 8 where it says that the righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in us who walk not after the flesh but according to the Spirit.

If you read the New Testament, chapter by chapter and verse by verse you will see this running theme of either we are those who make sin our practice or we make righteousness our practice. We are all going to reap what we sow. If we sow to please the flesh we will reap destruction, but if we sow to please the Spirit we will reap eternal life. The Christian life, thus, comes down to how we live, what we practice, our lifestyle, etc. Jesus said if we want to come after him we must deny self and take up our cross daily and follow him. So, yes, it is what we practice that determines if we are truly in Christ or not, for fruit is not something that just comes out once, but it is something that keeps growing and that keeps developing, etc. It is ongoing fruit, which are the results of our walks of faith.

But, this is no way gives license for sin. But, it doesn't require sinless perfection, either.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Phil, what is the alternative translation? It would be to say that faith in Jesus Christ means we are now absolutely perfect, perfectly sinless, and that we never once sin again.
Exactly!

And, if we aren't perfectly sinless, that means we don't really know God. So, then that would wipe out pretty much everyone who has ever professed faith in Jesus Christ since Jesus lived on the earth, including some of the apostles, too, perhaps.
Grape vines cannot bear figs.
God's seed cannot bear sin.

And, then that would not fit with v. 1 of the previous chapter where John says he writes these things that they may not sin, but if anyone does sin they have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, who is the propitiation for our sins.
"Any man"...indicating those who have yet to use the Advocate for eternal life.

The Greek verb tense, from what I read, does lend itself to translating it as "practicing" and the KJV "sinneth" also does lend itself to a translation having to do with something that is continuous, ongoing, and habitual. And, translating it as "practicing" certainly fits with the theme of 1 John, as a whole, particularly in chapter 1 where it talks about walking in darkness versus walking in the light, which has to do with something that is ongoing, continuous, something being practiced, etc. which also fits with the book of Romans, in particular chapter 8 where it says that the righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in us who walk not after the flesh but according to the Spirit.
Are you going to trust somebodies idea that accommodates sin?
I won't.
How many figs does a grape vine need to produce to be a "practicing" fig tree?

If you read the New Testament, chapter by chapter and verse by verse you will see this running theme of either we are those who make sin our practice or we make righteousness our practice. We are all going to reap what we sow. If we sow to please the flesh we will reap destruction, but if we sow to please the Spirit we will reap eternal life. The Christian life, thus, comes down to how we live, what we practice, our lifestyle, etc. Jesus said if we want to come after him we must deny self and take up our cross daily and follow him. So, yes, it is what we practice that determines if we are truly in Christ or not, for fruit is not something that just comes out once, but it is something that keeps growing and that keeps developing, etc. It is ongoing fruit, which are the results of our walks of faith.
You should read that last paragraph before reading the first ones.

But, this is no way gives license for sin. But, it doesn't require sinless perfection, either.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Grape vine or fig tree...which is it going t be

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly!

Grape vines cannot bear figs.
God's seed cannot bear sin.

"Any man"...indicating those who have yet to use the Advocate for eternal life.

Are you going to trust somebodies idea that accommodates sin?
I won't.
How many figs does a grape vine need to produce to be a "practicing" fig tree?

You should read that last paragraph before reading the first ones.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Grape vine or fig tree...which is it going t be
So, you are saying that you live in sinless perfection? You never once do or say anything wrong? You never have a bad thought or doubt God? You are absolutely perfect in everything you do?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, you are saying that you live in sinless perfection? You never once do or say anything wrong? You never have a bad thought or doubt God? You are absolutely perfect in everything you do?
Spiritually, that is correct.
I am a new creature gendered from the seed of God.
I still have problems balancing my check book and occasionally mix up the "i before e" thing, but I serve a living God who won't judge me for my grammar or math skills.
Jesus conquered sin while in the flesh, so as we are now "in Christ" we share in that victory.
Men walking in the flesh cannot do that.
"Walk in the Spirit and you won't fulfill the lusts of the flesh." (Gal 5:16, Rom 8:1, 4)

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus conquered sin while in the flesh, so as we are now "in Christ" we share in that victory.
Men walking in the flesh cannot do that.
"Walk in the Spirit and you won't fulfill the lusts of the flesh." (Gal 5:16, Rom 8:1, 4)

I agree!

• Friendly
Reactions: Phil W
Upvote 0