Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, I’m hoping for some honest feedback. I have been married just shy of 3 months. It seems that since getting married my husband has been twisting scripture to permit abuse. Lately when we have encountered arguments he will get in my face basically touching my nose and start screaming as loud as he possibly can going on a tangent about how I have to respect him. Literally saying the words “Shut up and respect me” or “Shut up and submit to me” Or “Shut up and get in the room” (where he literally expects me to just stop having an opinion and go sit on our bed in silence). During these encounters I will explain to him that if he wants respect he cannot treat me/talk to me that way and he will go on about how I should fear him and that will produce respect. I disagree. I don’t think God intends me to fear my husband like this. My Husband will yell about how the Bible says we must fear God, so I must fear him (my husband). I don’t agree with his use of scripture. He is not God I should not put him on the same pedestal as the Lord. The Lord will always be above him. He has screamed so loud our neighbors from upstairs will tell me how they can literally hear his exact words and how they can’t imagine mine and my sons fear because of how they felt. We have a marriage counseling meeting tomorrow and I intend on being 100% honest with our pastor and tell him everything but I am a bit nervous about it all. My husband is always telling people how bad I am to him because I have resorted to also yelling at him in the past but I need to stick up for myself! I am afraid he will try to manipulate the situation tomorrow. Please pray for me. Anyone have any advice on how to overcome this situation ?

Hello, you are making a good move by speaking to a marriage counselor. It is good to discuss before hand how you will handle disagreements. For example, you can agree to never resolve an issue while one or both of you is getting emotional or raising your voices, so that if that ever happens, then you will take and break and resume the discussion after both of have had time to calm down and think about that it. You should be working together to try to resolve an issue rather than trying to win and argument, because if it is about trying to win an argument, then you are both going to lose. Likewise, you can institute a rule that each person is only allowed to respond to the other after they have restated the other's thoughts and feelings in their own words to the other's satisfaction. This makes it about listening to understand rather than about listening to counter what they have to say. It can also slow things down, cause tempers less likely to flare, and reduce interruptions. If shouting or interruptions are a problem, then you can try having the discussion through text. This way you have time to think about what you want to say and how you want to say it, you have to read everything they say before responding, and there is no shouting.

The Hebrew word "pachad" refers to the type of fear that causes us to want to run away and hide while the word "yirah" refers to the type of fear that causes us to see and want to run towards someone. In other words, there is a type of fear where we don't want to be close to someone who is evil and a type of fear where we don't want to be separated from someone who is good, and the fear of God that is the beginning of wisdom is the latter, so being afraid of your husband is the wrong type of fear. Husbands should be more concerned with loving their wives as Christ than making sure their wife respects them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

honestal

Mar 27, 2021
Midwest
✟31,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You asking your husband if he understands isn't manipulation (but your husband's accusation that you are a manipulator is a problem). I think you need to find someone else to work with.

Hi Alexandriaa (I'm Tammy's husband),

What Paidiske said is 100% correct. Your husband is the manipulator, not you. And you need to find someone else to work with.

I hate to say this, but your husband is in a very bad way, and you're in a very bad situation.

You should make it absolutely clear to him: You will not allow him to treat you like that--EVER!!! And if he does, you need to leave--immediately!!!

(Remember: You can always go back if you become convinced he's changed.)

Tammy and I will be praying for you.

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We (men) are to love our wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up to die for her. How does Christ respond when we "choose" not to submit our will to His? How do I want God to respond to me? If He responded to me as I do to my wife, what are the odds I'd be a follower of Christ?

This would be one of the reasons I always want every Christian "Thinking of marriage anytime in the future" to take a class on biblical marriage. It saves a lot of heartache down the road. Cuts off some problems up front ...

Ultimately each person in a marriage will make his or her own choices.

One of the things I start out with is, "Ladies, if you want to keep the perfect man, keep your eyes closed. And if you find him, don't wake up or you will ruin him." There aren't any perfect men, nor are there any perfect women.

Is fear of God and fear of your husbands, both of those things, in scripture? Yes. Both. But I, as a husband of my Lord fear I will displease Him, miss His will, sin ... He loves me so. Is it a real "fear"? Absolutely. I weep when I fall short, when I fail, when I don't live up to what I believe His expectations of me are. How does He respond? He loves and consoles me and says, I paid for that because I love you. You will do better. I know you.

He who is forgiven much loves much. If you love Me you will keep my commandments. These things many miss, or misunderstand.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I’m hoping for some honest feedback. I have been married just shy of 3 months. It seems that since getting married my husband has been twisting scripture to permit abuse. Lately when we have encountered arguments he will get in my face basically touching my nose and start screaming as loud as he possibly can going on a tangent about how I have to respect him. Literally saying the words “Shut up and respect me” or “Shut up and submit to me” Or “Shut up and get in the room” (where he literally expects me to just stop having an opinion and go sit on our bed in silence).

It always "takes two to tango." It's very difficult to counsel you wisely with only half the story of what's going on between you. Obviously, no godly husband should ever be carrying on in the way you describe above. How is it that you married a man who behaves in such a way? How did you not see at least some hint of this sort of man in the lead-up to your marriage to him?

During these encounters I will explain to him that if he wants respect he cannot treat me/talk to me that way and he will go on about how I should fear him and that will produce respect. I disagree. I don’t think God intends me to fear my husband like this. My Husband will yell about how the Bible says we must fear God, so I must fear him (my husband). I don’t agree with his use of scripture.

This is a terrible contortion of God's word, a self-serving one, that ignores the fact that your husband does not occupy the same position as God does and that your husband is called in Scripture to love you self-sacrificially as Christ did for the Body of Believers, his Bride, the Church.

Ephesians 5:21-28
21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.
22 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.
24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her,
26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.
28 So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself;
(See also 1 John 4:7-11)

See verse 21? Believers are to be "subject to one another". Even the Elders of the Church are not to "lord" it over the communities they lead:

1 Peter 5:1-3
1 Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed,
2 shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness;
3 nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock.

Your husband is to be to you an example of Christ his Saviour, humble, gentle, loving, just, truthful, gracious and kind; like an Elder of the "flock of God," not lording it over you, but demonstrating in his godly conduct toward you the character of Christ.

As a new husband, your spouse may be feeling inadequate to meet all of your expectations of him and his just-respect-me thing may be his way of securing himself against these feelings. I used to teach a martial art and we had a saying in the training hall: "The empty barrel makes the most noise." When a person is confident in their skills as a fighter, they have a relaxed, quiet, assured manner; always it was the insecure person, unsure of their fighting skills, who would bluster and chest-thump, trying to compensate for their feelings of inadequacy with a lot of aggressive noise. Sound familiar?

Are you acting to make your husband confident that, succeed or fail, you are committed to him and love him? Or, when he doesn't meet your expectations, do you subtly scorn him, letting him know in various ways that you're very disappointed in him, maybe even giving him a bit of the cool - if not cold - shoulder? To one who is eager to please you but deeply insecure about being able to, this sort of treatment will be intensely troubling and provoking.

Then again, maybe your husband is just a power-mad jerk. It's impossible to say from such a removed vantage point.

Whatever the case, you are not relieved of the same biblical commands to love your husband self-sacrificially that he is under in dealing with you. Too often these days Christians will counsel you to flee your husband, to drop him as fast as you can, when things get ugly. Is this what Christ did? Is his example to you to forsake your husband when he behaves badly? We'd all be in very serious trouble if this was the sort of contingent, self-serving "love" Christ had shown for us.

1 John 4:10-11
10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

Colossians 1:21-22
21 And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
22 yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death
, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach—

Romans 5:6-10
6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—
8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

How do we love like this? Often only in the relational crucible of marriage do we learn to do so. Our spouse may push us well beyond our capacities to love like God loves us. And when this happens, God does not say to us, "Ah, well, just dump him and run." No, He holds out to us His love in the Person of His Spirit and says to us, "Submit to me in all things (James 4:7), be a living sacrifice to me (Romans 12:1), and I will fill you with Myself and be for you what you cannot be for yourself." (1 Peter 5:6)

My husband is always telling people how bad I am to him because I have resorted to also yelling at him in the past but I need to stick up for myself! I am afraid he will try to manipulate the situation tomorrow. Please pray for me. Anyone have any advice on how to overcome this situation ?

Your "job" as a wife is to be more and more like Christ, to be the hands and heart of God to your husband. And this is your "job" even when your husband is not doing the same toward you. When you are meeting each other as vessels filled with the Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit, your marriage will be incredible, the best, most exciting and satisfying relationship you will ever experience.

But you will not be able, when you stand before Christ, to make your lovelessness toward your husband, your anger toward him and your rejection of him his fault. There will be no finger-pointing and saying "I was a miserable wife because he was a miserable husband!" That's not going to wash. You have the same access to the awesome transforming power of God that your husband does and you are just as responsible for placing yourself under, and in, the flow of that divine power so that you may love your husband even when it hurts.

And hurt love does! Even for God it hurt. Just look at the cross of Calvary on which Jesus died. This is the great challenge of love: It costs us to love - sometimes a very great deal. This is never more true than within the bonds of marriage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hannah66

Oct 6, 2006
✟49,161.00
Faith
Baptist
This is verbal abuse and I am wondering if he has physically harmed you. Sometimes that follows verbal abuse. As the bible says, Husbands love their wives...when a wife feels loved, she shows respect to her husband and the cycle continues. I suggest you speak to your pastor about this, if you can, and pray how you can talk to your husband about your concerns. Some marriage counselling may be a good thing, but, your husband has to change his behaviour. It's not a safe place for you to be living in with having a husband verbally abusing you like this.

Upvote 0

Hannah66

Oct 6, 2006
✟49,161.00
Faith
Baptist
It always "takes two to tango." It's very difficult to counsel you wisely with only half the story of what's going on between you. Obviously, no godly husband should ever be carrying on in the way you describe above. How is it that you married a man who behaves in such a way? How did you not see at least some hint of this sort of man in the lead-up to your marriage to him? Being married isn't a job!! Her husband is abusive. i feel as though you're victim blaming here.

This is a terrible contortion of God's word, a self-serving one, that ignores the fact that your husband does not occupy the same position as God does and that your husband is called in Scripture to love you self-sacrificially as Christ did for the Body of Believers, his Bride, the Church.

Ephesians 5:21-28
21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.
22 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.
24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her,
26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.
28 So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself;
(See also 1 John 4:7-11)

See verse 21? Believers are to be "subject to one another". Even the Elders of the Church are not to "lord" it over the communities they lead:

1 Peter 5:1-3
1 Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed,
2 shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness;
3 nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock.

Your husband is to be to you an example of Christ his Saviour, humble, gentle, loving, just, truthful, gracious and kind; like an Elder of the "flock of God," not lording it over you, but demonstrating in his godly conduct toward you the character of Christ.

As a new husband, your spouse may be feeling inadequate to meet all of your expectations of him and his just-respect-me thing may be his way of securing himself against these feelings. I used to teach a martial art and we had a saying in the training hall: "The empty barrel makes the most noise." When a person is confident in their skills as a fighter, they have a relaxed, quiet, assured manner; always it was the insecure person, unsure of their fighting skills, who would bluster and chest-thump, trying to compensate for their feelings of inadequacy with a lot of aggressive noise. Sound familiar?

Are you acting to make your husband confident that, succeed or fail, you are committed to him and love him? Or, when he doesn't meet your expectations, do you subtly scorn him, letting him know in various ways that you're very disappointed in him, maybe even giving him a bit of the cool - if not cold - shoulder? To one who is eager to please you but deeply insecure about being able to, this sort of treatment will be intensely troubling and provoking.

Then again, maybe your husband is just a power-mad jerk. It's impossible to say from such a removed vantage point.

Whatever the case, you are not relieved of the same biblical commands to love your husband self-sacrificially that he is under in dealing with you. Too often these days Christians will counsel you to flee your husband, to drop him as fast as you can, when things get ugly. Is this what Christ did? Is his example to you to forsake your husband when he behaves badly? We'd all be in very serious trouble if this was the sort of contingent, self-serving "love" Christ had shown for us.

1 John 4:10-11
10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

Colossians 1:21-22
21 And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
22 yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death
, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach—

Romans 5:6-10
6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—
8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

How do we love like this? Often only in the relational crucible of marriage do we learn to do so. Our spouse may push us well beyond our capacities to love like God loves us. And when this happens, God does not say to us, "Ah, well, just dump him and run." No, He holds out to us His love in the Person of His Spirit and says to us, "Submit to me in all things (James 4:7), be a living sacrifice to me (Romans 12:1), and I will fill you with Myself and be for you what you cannot be for yourself." (1 Peter 5:6)

Your "job" as a wife is to be more and more like Christ, to be the hands and heart of God to your husband. And this is your "job" even when your husband is not doing the same toward you. When you are meeting each other as vessels filled with the Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit, your marriage will be incredible, the best, most exciting and satisfying relationship you will ever experience.

But you will not be able, when you stand before Christ, to make your lovelessness toward your husband, your anger toward him and your rejection of him his fault. There will be no finger-pointing and saying "I was a miserable wife because he was a miserable husband!" That's not going to wash. You have the same access to the awesome transforming power of God that your husband does and you are just as responsible for placing yourself under, and in, the flow of that divine power so that you may love your husband even when it hurts.

And hurt love does! Even for God it hurt. Just look at the cross of Calvary on which Jesus died. This is the great challenge of love: It costs us to love - sometimes a very great deal. This is never more true than within the bonds of marriage.

I don't think being a wife is a 'job'. I feel as though your post might be bordering on victim blaming. Abuse is never ok. And nothing she has done to deserve this

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think being a wife is a 'job'. I feel as though your post might be bordering on victim blaming. Abuse is never ok. And nothing she has done to deserve this

You'll notice I put "job" in scare quotes, signifying a non-literal use of the word.

You are entitled to your feelings but they are entirely irrelevant to the truth-value of what I wrote.

You have only one side of the matrimonial story. Do you really think it wise to come to strong conclusions on such a basis? I don't.

Upvote 0

Brenda Blakely

Apr 26, 2019
Portland
✟29,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I’m hoping for some honest feedback. I have been married just shy of 3 months. It seems that since getting married my husband has been twisting scripture to permit abuse. Lately when we have encountered arguments he will get in my face basically touching my nose and start screaming as loud as he possibly can going on a tangent about how I have to respect him. Literally saying the words “Shut up and respect me” or “Shut up and submit to me” Or “Shut up and get in the room” (where he literally expects me to just stop having an opinion and go sit on our bed in silence). During these encounters I will explain to him that if he wants respect he cannot treat me/talk to me that way and he will go on about how I should fear him and that will produce respect. I disagree. I don’t think God intends me to fear my husband like this. My Husband will yell about how the Bible says we must fear God, so I must fear him (my husband). I don’t agree with his use of scripture. He is not God I should not put him on the same pedestal as the Lord. The Lord will always be above him. He has screamed so loud our neighbors from upstairs will tell me how they can literally hear his exact words and how they can’t imagine mine and my sons fear because of how they felt. We have a marriage counseling meeting tomorrow and I intend on being 100% honest with our pastor and tell him everything but I am a bit nervous about it all. My husband is always telling people how bad I am to him because I have resorted to also yelling at him in the past but I need to stick up for myself! I am afraid he will try to manipulate the situation tomorrow. Please pray for me. Anyone have any advice on how to overcome this situation ?
Dear Alexandria,

I don’t know what premaritial counseling you had or if you had any but you are so correct in seeking wise counsel. Many young and selfish Christians and some who are not so young have not attained a meaningful understanding of the purpose of God’s word and scriptures. Often they only know to use the scriptures for their own purpose and intent upon life. It sound like your husband has a very immature understanding of marriage and God’s word. I am praying for each of you to learn your roles in marriage according to God’s word and His plan.

You need to set some boundaries and stand firm in them. The book “Boundaries” is very good. You need to be praying for your husband and I have copied some prayers for you (see below). Here is also a number-855 382 5433- where you can find more resources to help you be the wife God has called you to become. I am praying for you to find the fullness of your marriage. God bless you and your husband.

1. Matthew 6:33 “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.”

As a wife pray that your husband is, above everything else, seeking Christ and His Kingdom FIRST in his life. With all of the busyness and temptations that this world throws at us, it is so hard for men (and women!) to keep God at the forefront of their everyday. Be praying for his heart to desire to be in the Word daily and striving to live a life that pleases the Lord.

2. Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

Sometimes it’s difficult to see what God’s plan is in the middle of it all. Be in prayer that God would reveal Himself to your husband that he would be reminded that God desires to bring him good and the desires of his heart. Pray that he would cling to God and allow Him to be his fulfillment.

3. Ephesians 5:22-33 “Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, because we are members of His body. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church. Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.”

These are a lot of verses, but they are packed full with awesome truth about what you should be praying your marriage will look like; mirroring Christ and His church. While men and women are equal in Christ, we were designed very differently from one another according to what God’s purpose is for our roles in marriage. Be in prayer that your husband will lead your family with Christ at the center, loving you the way that Christ loves the church and that he would be self-sacrificing for you and your family. Let’s face it, the God given responsibilities of being a husband are huge. Be praying that God would give your husband the strength and heart to do what he is called to do!

4. Proverbs 13:20 “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.”

Praying for your husbands friends and community is another great way to lift him up in prayer before you meet him! The old saying goes, “You are who you hang out with.” I truly believe that that phrase was derived from this Proverb. Be in prayer for the kind of people that he will surround himself with. Pray that they will be a good influence on him and like-minded, striving for Christ in their hearts and their relationships. Be in prayer that he is plugged into a good church home and has a support system of friends he can turn to for encouragement or prayer. And who knows, those friends you pray for now may become your friends someday, too.

5. 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”

Praying this verse can cover any multitude of temptations, but today I want to focus on sexual temptation. In our culture today, it is BEYOND difficult to be a man and strive for purity in their heart, mind and body. Sex is thrown at them from every angle, and the devil knows how to get a foothold in their hearts. Be praying that God would help them to flee from any situation that would cause temptation and that they would stay grounded in God’s truth for them as they save themselves until they are married. Want to take it a step further? I prayed that prayer many times myself before meeting my husband, but God used it to work in my own heart in big ways.

6. 2 Peter 3:18 “Rather, you must grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to him, both now and forever! Amen.”

Being in prayer for knowledge for your spouse is so important! Pray that he would be taking time to seek God in time alone with Him, as well as with other believers. Your husband can’t grow by just sitting around and being stagnant, so pray that he would push himself to study God’s Word and trust in God’s grace in his life.

7. 1 Corinthians 6:19 “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.”

Praying for your husband’s health and physical safety is such a tangible way to be lifting him up. Pray that he would honor God with how he physically conducts himself and that God would protect him wherever he goes.

8. Acts 28:31 “He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ–with all boldness and without hindrance!”

Pray for BOLDNESS for your husband! Ultimately, our goal as Christ followers is to go out and tell others about the good news of the Gospel, so pray that he is convicted to share his heart with others with confidence and clarity.

I hope that if you are a wife that this has encouraged you today. As wives, we have the joy and privilege to be lifting our husbands up in prayer, but it starts long before you say, “I do.” And if you are already married, you can continue to pray these verses over your husband and pray them over your daughter’s future husbands. Prayer is SO KEY in strengthening and building up our marriages; don’t wait another day to start praying for him whose face you don’t yet know while you continue to seek Christ and His will for your life.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Good advice from everyone.

You might give this Pastor one more try. First, let him know what you thought was wrong with the first round and the outcome of what happened with your husband, and then see if he course corrects or not. If not, find another Pastor to get counseling from because this one isn't getting it.

As another poster mentioned, we cannot completely comprehend the situation from only listening to your side of the story, but it does seem that your husband is only reading what he wants to get from Scripture and entirely missing his responsibilities to you, such as loving and cherishing you. The bible is not a weapon to overpower you, it is a guide to proper Christian living and marriage, and it needs to be read more from what you are responsible for (I'm talking to your husband now) and not what powers it gives to me over my wife. That is a gross misunderstanding and your Pastor needs to clearly point that out so its not misunderstood as giving your husband some weapon to attack you with.

I agree that his pattern of behavior seems disturbing and if not corrected now, this could lead to physical abuse down the road, so it is important to get to the root now and not wait until it comes to having to accept physical abuse or divorce him.

Please be sure to not have a child until this is cleared up and the marriage is working and living to Scripture. The same power trip will likely carry over to raising children too, and that needs to be remedied.

If you want, ask your husband to come to our private Ask A Chaplain forum and we can talk to him directly there, but it is far better to do this in real life with a Senior Pastor who is skilled at marriage counseling. Not all are equally capable, trained, or interested in it, so don't think if this one doesn't seem to get the situation that you cannot find one who does.

Now I am praying in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ that this message reaches you and makes a positive impact and turns this marriage into a blessing.

Upvote 0