A new CF, an old vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you :)

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. That really is political correctness gone absolutely mental.

Is that one of the rules that will be discarded?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
e. No more restriction of forums for non-Christians - if a non-Christian can walk into a church, a non-Christian can walk and post in any forum here. Some forums may still have gender or age restrictions, but the whole side, as should be any Christian site, will now be totally [OPEN].
f. No more restriction of faith icons - who are we to tell you who you are or what you believe in? In fact, no other restrictions - if you want to call yourself married, go ahead. It is between you and God, not you and CF.
g. Related to the above, if you believe you are a Christian, you are. No more reliance on our own definition of what we think is a Christian. In the end, who are we to judge.
Erwin, I like all of the changes except for these two. (f), as far as I understand it, was always really in the hands of the individual poster anyway. People would sign up, choose their faith icons, marital status, et al, but the authenticity of that information like on all public forums relied on the honor system. (g) quite frankly has no Biblical foundation at all. These two things I think helped keep CF from becoming a public toilet. The standing policies, while restrictive, at least did a good job of keeping fundamental atheists from trying to proselytize new Christians and Christians looking for help with their lives. It also allowed Catholics and Baptists to post in peace without having people of the opposite faction come in and tell everyone they are not Christians. And at the same time, (g) has a real potential of being a vehicle for worldly "ultra-tolerance," where everything except for what the Bible says is tolerated.

The rest of the changes though, were long overdue. I am very glad to see the new openness with the mods and staff.

I hope we atheists can behave ourselves.

As much as I disagree with Christian theology, I respect the right of Christians to have a place where they can go to discuss issues amongst each other without having every thread devolve into an attempt to prove to an atheist that God really exists.

I know I will try to be respectful of theads where it is apparent that an atheist's perspective is neither sought nor appreciated. I hope my fellow atheists will do the same.
I'm glad you have this mindset, but there are too many angry teenagers and college students for this to be a reality. This is the Internet, after all.

Perhaps it would be like a loyal member being IP banned for quoting the Bible . If that is how they feel I would sympathise with them
I seriously hope not, but I see this as a possibility.

Upvote 0

Hunterkirk

Mar 29, 2007
Maryland
✟15,794.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Concerned: I have been to many forums and have seen the result of the "all open every section" method before.

What I suspect and have seen happen time and again is the following:

1) Orthidox and Conservative Christians will leave as they will have no forums in which they can go and talk among themselves with out being constantly challenged by anti the law and anti organized religion elements.

It has been my observation that Orthidox and Conservative Christians will defend the law and the Bible for only so long before they do as the Bible says and 'clean the dust from their feet' and leave the presence of those whom reject the law.

2) The liberal, anti law elements, and non Christians will have a field day at first seeking any place where there chosen foes are hiding, to confront and hurass them, with the result and goal being to silence them. It will succeed as the targeted elements will leave the forum. You will hear things like "Christian Forums is only a place for people to attack Christianity" and such.

As for the liberals their interest in the forum will disappear as there chosen targets flee the forum. Outside of a handful of resistance, which they will claim to be trolls, they will assume full control of the forum. With full control will come a total end of discussion.

You see discussion and debate require more then one view point and it is generally the goal of these elements to purge one of these view points. Once that is done they have little interest in talking with their fellow liberal, anti christian/non christian, or anti organized religion fellows. End result is the forum will become a ghost of its former self and while you will gain the lack of 'conflict' you seek you will also lose your stated goal.

Note: I recognize this is your forum to do with as you please. I recognize that you think these rules will produce something positive. I simply feel this change will badly damage the forum and your stated goals for it.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It was a Christian forum, though, which many of us joined and supported in good faith of remaining so. Now, not even the Trinity is being upheld as a basic Christian principle by confession of the creeds. It's going to be more like a tent revival with miked hecklers.
Who says not even the Trinity is being upheld. Please show me that from Erwin's statements.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Jolly good, things needed to be changed around here.

I'm not going to knock this system till I've tried it.
Amen!

Why can't people wait to see rather than simply condemn?

Upvote 0

sparklecat

Senior Contributor
Nov 29, 2003
✟10,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
And unfortunately the animosity will never change.

Atheists will hate religious folks just cause.
Religious folks will hate Atheists just cause.

We're all human.

But you know what I was meaning in the post, right?

I think so. But while we may not be making any great steps for peace and understanding between the groups, maybe we can change things a bit over here, y'know? :)

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well....

What do want?

lol

We don't have very much on the forum to give really
An answer to my question would be nice. It seems to me that one side has lost ground while another has gained it. That's not a compromise, that was my point. She used the wrong word in her post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What were you taught when (trying to phrase this correctly) you became a Christian? You were taught what Christ had done. And if from a liturgical Church background, you were taught the faith of your fathers and forefathers.

All that is being traded. Dumped out would be more accurate. The precious Eucharist is being thrown on the ground and spat upon and no one cares.
I know that I'm only 7 years older than you but you don't tell me what I've been "taught" son. I've studied the EO for the past year and a half. And I wasn't taught Christianity at all when I grew up.

Upvote 0

thiefinthenight

The Spirit and the bride say come...
Mar 1, 2007
in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus
✟37,030.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think so. But while we may not be making any great steps for peace and understanding between the groups, maybe we can change things a bit over here, y'know? :)
That would be my prayer!!!!

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know that I'm only 7 years older than you but you don't tell me what I've been "taught" son. I've studied the EO for the past year and a half. And I wasn't taught Christianity at all when I grew up.
I get a little passionate. Sorry.

I did not know.

Upvote 0

sparklecat

Senior Contributor
Nov 29, 2003
✟10,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
An answer to my question would be nice. It seems to me that one side has lost ground while another has gained it. That's not a compromise, that was my point. She used the wrong word in her post.

What do you think we have that we might give up? What would we have to lose to help you feel better about matters?

Reactions: Protinus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally Posted by Evangelica
Christian's by nature are not meant to win in a free for all.

Yes, actually we are... it just doesn't always look or feel comfortable to us during the battle.
Challenging and profound response, meant4worship! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

meant4worship

Mar 2, 2007
✟12,699.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are you insane? Inviting war? No, it don't work that way.
Didn't Jesus Himself "invite war" with the religious leaders of his day every time he sat down at the dinner table with sinners?

I have no desire to debate you...we are supposed to be on the same side. I also have no desire to be personally attacked or asked if I am insane by someone who is my sister in Christ. I can tolerate it from someone who does not know better.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I'm sorry, this post was not politically correct.

As punishment, your computer has been stolen, you've undergone a lot of torture and have ended up in the middle of the Sahara Desert with a Santa suit glued to your body.

Thank You and have a nice day! ;)

(meanwhile, Christ is being called a crack-harlot and that is perfectly acceptable)

[/sarcasm]
When did anyone say this?

Please point out the post!

Upvote 0

thiefinthenight

The Spirit and the bride say come...
Mar 1, 2007
in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus
✟37,030.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you insane? Inviting war? No, it don't work that way.
Dear Sister we are in a war whether you want to believe it or not...

But not against flesh and blood...but a spiritual war...

...and yes, it does work that way!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.