A Motivational Discontinuity: Has this Happened to Any of You? (Abridged Life's Story Included!)

If You've Ever had the "Baby Rabies", What was your Age and Gender?

• Male, Under 30

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Female, Under 30

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Male, >30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female, >30

• Female, Post-Menopause

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drick

Aug 22, 2017
Alabama
✟18,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm staying up way too late thinking about this, so I'm going to skip the formalities and get to the point as quick as I can:

When I was a teenager, I was not good with girls (Trust me, this is the only place I could viably start this from without making this a novel). I wasn't hopeless or anything, I could talk to them, but there were almost always significant cultural differences in the way, on top of the fact that I don't develop relationships with people who can't dig deep into any topic we happen to be discussing, and the prettiest teenage girls (which naturally, are the ones I wanted), I quickly discovered, are almost always the most useless group of people on the planet when you try to talk to them about anything other than themselves.

Luckily, after an initial hyper-sexual period from 13-15, my libido settled down to a pretty low place. Like, I may be in the mood once a month. Suffices to say sexual temptation has never been much of a factor for me. However, about half a year ago now, after being separated from most of my family for about a year, I saw my baby sister, and I had a great time with her on a two week beach trip. This helped me beat final struggle with the nihilism of my teenage years. However, this sudden change opened a whole can of worms that I couldn't have comprehended a few months ago...

I never really knew my father. I have vague memories of him, and I know of his lacking character from everyone else, but I don't have any contact with him, and I have no mechanism or desire to contact him at my convenience. When I was lifted out of my depression, I thought "What if he had more kids?" For some reason, the thought never even crossed my mind prior, that I could have brothers or sisters I know nothing about. I know he's been with plenty of women, and that he'd never stick around even if he had impregnated someone, so I'd never be able to learn anything if I had contacted him.

Knowing this for near certain, I gave up on the idea and accepted the painful truth that I'll always have an ever-burning, painful hole where these answers should be. I tried not to dwell on it for a while, but one day a few weeks later, another switched kicked on in my head. I asked myself "Do I want to have kids?". It wasn't a foreign question to me, I've always thought about the prospect, but ultimately, I'd never had enough interest to warrant serious considerations. To my surprise, when I asked this question of myself again recently, everything in my being screamed at me "Of course! How could you go on living without kids?!" (Not in so many words, the response was actually more of a very painful, burning sensation in my chest. The exact same longing that struck me when contemplating my possible siblings.)

Baby rabies is normally something that happens to women who've wasted their youth, not 18 year old boys, especially one that, by most accounts, has never thought much about the prospect to begin with. It strikes me as strange that since then, I can't go an hour without thinking about having kids. This constant aching in my heart won't cease even while I'm asleep. I'm sure there's some psychological reason for this, but I don't have the access to counseling I'd need to find out, and I wouldn't want this desire gone even if

Finally For the Love of all that is Holy! The Actual Conundrum:

Long-winded as I am, I do have an actual point to get to. All of these things on their own would make for nothing more than a disorganized autobiography. However, two key points here conflict in quite a troubling way. If you've read through, you've probably guessed already; My libido is as low as ever. As much a desire as I have for having children, I have little interest in actively pursuing women. My low drive, combined with pre-existing social anxiety creates such a combination in me that I doubt I could successfully court or date anyone no if I tried. I'd end up putting on a show for a few weeks at most, and it'd be over as soon as I ran out of energy.

As boring as all this may sound, it's a genuine crisis for me. I know for a fact that I cannot go on living in any worthwhile capacity until this is resolved. A Biblical answer would be great! An answer from anyone's personal experience would be just as great, perhaps even better, given the uniqueness of the situation. Either way, I needed to get this out, I don't have anyone I can talk to and I feel that I'll explode if I don't find some resolution to this.

Thank you.

(Edit: Somehow or another, part of a sentence on paragraph 3 got cut off when I first posted this. It should make more sense now.)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Sarah G

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure there's some psychological reason for this, but I don't have the access to counseling I'd need to find out,

What?! What makes you think you need counseling? Why not go to the book of answers, the book of truth? Read your bible and pray Brother. The answers are in there for you. It's our owners manual of life. You can't trust men and certainly not psyco-ologists. They'll try to give you a pill and say you're all messed up so they can make money on you.

If you have this burning desire in your heart to have children, then the Lord put it there. Satan doesn't want us to have children, he wants to destroy us. Abort the kid is what he says. So it sounds to me like...there are children in your future. Don't stress about it. It's not a problem.

Having social anxiety is all in your head. Don't tell yourself that you're not able to converse with girls. Tell yourself that, they're only human and so are you. You're meant to have a wife and children. Are you afraid of rejection? Cast those thoughts down. Not everyone will like you, not everyone will dislike you. Even if you are rejected by a girl, so what. There's 4 billion more of them out there. Some will like you, some could love you. For what you are.

Don't put on a show. That's lying. Be yourself. It takes a bit of time for people to get to know each other. Don't talk so much about yourself to them. Ask them questions about them, girls love to talk about themselves. If you're slightly mysterious about yourself (without lying), the girl goes home and fills in the blanks herself about you. And she'll build you up in her mind better than you ever could, lol.

God put this desire in your heart for a reason. So don't reject it, and don't be over-anxious. Be patient. Pray about it, read the Word. When you meet the right girl, you will be able to talk to her without fear. It just happens.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm staying up way too late thinking about this, so I'm going to skip the formalities and get to the point as quick as I can:

When I was a teenager, I was not good with girls (Trust me, this is the only place I could viably start this from without making this a novel). I wasn't hopeless or anything, I could talk to them, but there were almost always significant cultural differences in the way, on top of the fact that I don't develop relationships with people who can't dig deep into any topic we happen to be discussing, and the prettiest teenage girls (which naturally, are the ones I wanted), I quickly discovered, are almost always the most useless group of people on the planet when you try to talk to them about anything other than themselves.

Luckily, after an initial hyper-sexual period from 13-15, my libido settled down to a pretty low place. Like, I may be in the mood once a month. Suffices to say sexual temptation has never been much of a factor for me. However, about half a year ago now, after being separated from most of my family for about a year, I saw my baby sister, and I had a great time with her on a two final struggle with the nihilism of my teenage years. However, this sudden change opened a whole can of worms that I couldn't have comprehended a few months ago...

I never really knew my father. I have vague memories of him, and I know of his lacking character from everyone else, but I don't have any contact with him, and I have no mechanism or desire to contact him at my convenience. When I was lifted out of my depression, I thought "What if he had more kids?" For some reason, the thought never even crossed my mind prior, that I could have brothers or sisters I know nothing about. I know he's been with plenty of women, and that he'd never stick around even if he had impregnated someone, so I'd never be able to learn anything if I had contacted him.

Knowing this for near certain, I gave up on the idea and accepted the painful truth that I'll always have an ever-burning, painful hole where these answers should be. I tried not to dwell on it for a while, but one day a few weeks later, another switched kicked on in my head. I asked myself "Do I want to have kids?". It wasn't a foreign question to me, I've always thought about the prospect, but ultimately, I'd never had enough interest to warrant serious considerations. To my surprise, when I asked this question of myself again recently, everything in my being screamed at me "Of course! How could you go on living without kids?!" (Not in so many words, the response was actually more of a very painful, burning sensation in my chest. The exact same longing that struck me when contemplating my possible siblings.)

Baby rabies is normally something that happens to women who've wasted their youth, not 18 year old boys, especially one that, by most accounts, has never thought much about the prospect to begin with. It strikes me as strange that since then, I can't go an hour without thinking about having kids. This constant aching in my heart won't cease even while I'm asleep. I'm sure there's some psychological reason for this, but I don't have the access to counseling I'd need to find out, and I wouldn't want this desire gone even if

Finally For the Love of all that is Holy! The Actual Conundrum:

Long-winded as I am, I do have an actual point to get to. All of these things on their own would make for nothing more than a disorganized autobiography. However, two key points here conflict in quite a troubling way. If you've read through, you've probably guessed already; My libido is as low as ever. As much a desire as I have for having children, I have little interest in actively pursuing women. My low drive, combined with pre-existing social anxiety creates such a combination in me that I doubt I could successfully court or date anyone no if I tried. I'd end up putting on a show for a few weeks at most, and it'd be over as soon as I ran out of energy.

As boring as all this may sound, it's a genuine crisis for me. I know for a fact that I cannot go on living in any worthwhile capacity until this is resolved. A Biblical answer would be great! An answer from anyone's personal experience would be just as great, perhaps even better, given the uniqueness of the situation. Either way, I needed to get this out, I don't have anyone I can talk to and I feel that I'll explode if I don't find some resolution to this.

Thank you.

me and mine met online...chatted for a month, decided we should
meet and had Three dates...oh, the third date was the wedding.
I didn't even know his middle name lol!
This all happened over a decade ago.

1 Corinthians 7:2-5

Upvote 0

Drick

Aug 22, 2017
Alabama
✟18,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What?! What makes you think you need counseling? Why not go to the book of answers, the book of truth? Read your bible and pray Brother. The answers are in there for you. It's our owners manual of life. You can't trust men and certainly not psyco-ologists. They'll try to give you a pill and say you're all messed up so they can make money on you.

If you have this burning desire in your heart to have children, then the Lord put it there. Satan doesn't want us to have children, he wants to destroy us. Abort the kid is what he says. So it sounds to me like...there are children in your future. Don't stress about it. It's not a problem.

Having social anxiety is all in your head. Don't tell yourself that you're not able to converse with girls. Tell yourself that, they're only human and so are you. You're meant to have a wife and children. Are you afraid of rejection? Cast those thoughts down. Not everyone will like you, not everyone will dislike you. Even if you are rejected by a girl, so what. There's 4 billion more of them out there. Some will like you, some could love you. For what you are.

Don't put on a show. That's lying. Be yourself. It takes a bit of time for people to get to know each other. Don't talk so much about yourself to them. Ask them questions about them, girls love to talk about themselves. If you're slightly mysterious about yourself (without lying), the girl goes home and fills in the blanks herself about you. And she'll build you up in her mind better than you ever could, lol.

God put this desire in your heart for a reason. So don't reject it, and don't be over-anxious. Be patient. Pray about it, read the Word. When you meet the right girl, you will be able to talk to her without fear. It just happens.
Thanks, though I think you've gotten a mistaken impression about the nature of my problem. Probably my fault, since I was pretty tired when I first typed this out. I have minor social anxiety, but I'm not afraid to talk to girls. On the contrary, all of my most helpful friends are. My issue lies in the fact that I become very self-aware in public, and combined with the fact that my romantic and sexual drives are dormant most of the time, I don't think I can sustain a relationship of that sort for any length. I'd burn myself out too quickly and end up loathing having the burden of spending time with her. I'm a hermit at heart, after all.

It's not a problem of fear, I need to know why my soul is so divided against itself on this, and what I might do to resolve it.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, though I think you've gotten a mistaken impression about the nature of my problem. Probably my fault, since I was pretty tired when I first typed this out. I have minor social anxiety, but I'm not afraid to talk to girls. On the contrary, all of my most helpful friends are. My issue lies in the fact that I become very self-aware in public, and combined with the fact that my romantic and sexual drives are dormant most of the time, I don't think I can sustain a relationship of that sort for any length. I'd burn myself out too quickly and end up loathing having the burden of spending time with her. I'm a hermit at heart, after all.

It's not a problem of fear, I need to know why my soul is so divided against itself on this, and what I might do to resolve it.

Oh I see. Well perhaps the Lord has something bigger in mind for you? If you're young, and your sex drive is dormant...it could be a hidden blessing. Paul did say that to not marry is better than to marry but if one burns with desire too much, then he should marry so to not sin. Our lives are not our own, having been bought with the blood of Jesus. So maybe he's preparing you for a good work for Him?

So I wouldn't worry about it. Pray to ask what the Lord's will is for you. Maybe you'll be traveling and ministering or something? That might put a strain on a marriage being gone. Biblically we are not to seek our own will and what we want for ourselves but to do the will of the Father. He says if you seek first and foremost the Kingdom of God...that all these things will be added unto you.

Don't start looking at inappropriate content though Brother! Stay focused on the Lord Jesus. His will will come to pass and He has a mighty good plan for you and your life if you will yield yourself 100% to His Spirit. Not my will oh Lord but your will be done. I will pray for you my Brother, that the Lord will reveal His purpose for you and your destiny. That you may run this race and fulfill your purpose and destiny in this life.
Peace and blessings be multiplied upon you and your life, Brother.

Upvote 0