Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
OSIYO (greetings) to all those of the Catholic faith I once communed with.

Since I can no longer participate in your fine Irish pub...(not going
into details)

I'm reaching out from my own hole to commune and learn more of your
faith.

Please join me as I wish to learn more of your faith. There are no
Catholics in my geographic region, thus I know little of your
customs, faith, and traditions.... just as you know very little
of mine.

Let us travel the same path for a while and learn from each other.

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Miss Shelby said:
There are NO Catholics in your geographic region? Where do you live? In some isolated commune reserved for psycho ducks?

Michelle
:D yes, it's called Appalachia...

Catholics aren't accepted very well where I live.
However, there is hope. They built a new church
in the next town over during the summer.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Miss Shelby said:
What exactly would you like to know, and I will be happy to answer? :)

Just kidding about the psycho duck thing.

Michelle
Please...no apologies...
he wasn't offended for being referred to as a 'duck' (take a closer inspection)

however, psycho would fit! :kiss:

Upvote 0

nonny

Nov 13, 2003
in my house
Visit site
✟199.00
Faith
Atheist
OOOooo!! Can I ask a question?? Please? Pick Me!!

What is the Hail Mary? (besides a football move) how does it go and why do you say it.

why do you ring bells at certain times during the mass? I think it's accompanied by incense. They swing this chain around with the smellies in it.
Also, what is eucarist? Is it like communion? I hope you don't mind me asking. Just curious. (Also hope that it isn't offensive to ask.)

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
nonny said:
OOOooo!! Can I ask a question?? Please? Pick Me!!

What is the Hail Mary? (besides a football move) how does it go and why do you say it.
I didn't know it was a movie? Remind me of that one. Who's in it? Anyway, the Hail Mary is a prayer belonging the Rosary, a Catholic devotion. It comes from Luke's Gospel 'Hail full of Grace' and it is a petition through Mary asking her intercessory prayer. The Rosary is a Catholic devotional made up of five mysteries..all mysteries of Christ's Birth, Life, Death and Resurrection. They are mediated on in prayer. That's the nutshell answer, if you'd like me to go more in depth I can.
why do you ring bells at certain times during the mass? I think it's accompanied by incense. They swing this chain around with the smellies in it.
The bells I believe are optional. It has an historical purpose, I hope to heaven I can remember this correctly. It was used in early times to alert the faithful as to when the consecration of the host was complete so they could raise their head and adore Christ in the Eucharist. I believe it was meant mainly for people who were unable to receive communion. The incense I will get back to you on.
Also, what is eucarist? Is it like communion? I hope you don't mind me asking. Just curious. (Also hope that it isn't offensive to ask.)
Not offensive take at all. The Eucharist is the consecrated host and Catholics believe it to be the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ. The Real Presence. Yes it is commonly referred to as Communion. :)

Michelle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Smilin said:
Please...no apologies...
he wasn't offended for being referred to as a 'duck' (take a closer inspection)

however, psycho would fit! :kiss:
So what exactly are your questions, heathen? :D

Michelle
(j/k--I know you're not a heathen because I have inside information. But since you refer to yourself as one...:D)

Upvote 0

nonny

Nov 13, 2003
in my house
Visit site
✟199.00
Faith
Atheist
Thanks for responding! I don't think I said "movie" but a football play. When all the guys are in the goal area and the qb launches da bomb and instead of an interception, it's a touchdown...

Anywhoo...I appriciate your response. Another question if I may... what exactly is a Rosary? Do the beads represent something? What's 'praying the rosary'?

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Miss Shelby said:
So what exactly are your questions, heathen? :D
If I were to come worship at a Catholic Church,
would an icon be required for entrance?

Michelle

Miss Shelby said:
(j/k--I know you're not a heathen because I have inside information. But since you refer to yourself as one...:D)
;)
an inside operative huh? So you're like that Alias gal
huh?

Upvote 0

Gabrial

Nov 6, 2003
✟174.00
I went to a Catholic school from 6th grade all the way until 12th grade. I was a protestant, during that time, and I have to say, catholics are WIERD. The first time i went to mass and they handed that little waffer to me, I looked at it and thought it was paper. Then when i didnt eat it, the woman handing it out came up to me and said..."Are you catholic?" I said no, then she took the waffer away from me and said "Then you cant have this"

I guess you could call that a bad first experience, but in any event, If you take a look at CAtholics and Protestants...Most Protestants take Christianity more seriously than most Catholics. Most Catholics or at least the ones I was affiliated with, only attended church because they thought it was the right thing to do. Other than that, religion was not that prevalent in thier lives.

But now seeing that im athiest, I look back on all of that and I look on Religion now from a different standpoint. Religion was invented by man (and God was invented by man) to answer their question of Purpose. Without purpose, humans feel insignificient (i cant spell). My question is WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THAT NOTHING EXISTS AFTER DEATH!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Gabrial said:
I went to a Catholic school from 6th grade all the way until 12th grade. I was a protestant, during that time, and I have to say, catholics are WIERD. The first time i went to mass and they handed that little waffer to me, I looked at it and thought it was paper. Then when i didnt eat it, the woman handing it out came up to me and said..."Are you catholic?" I said no, then she took the waffer away from me and said "Then you cant have this"

I guess you could call that a bad first experience, but in any event, If you take a look at CAtholics and Protestants...Most Protestants take Christianity more seriously than most Catholics. Most Catholics or at least the ones I was affiliated with, only attended church because they thought it was the right thing to do. Other than that, religion was not that prevalent in thier lives.

But now seeing that im athiest, I look back on all of that and I look on Religion now from a different standpoint. Religion was invented by man (and God was invented by man) to answer their question of Purpose. Without purpose, humans feel insignificient (i cant spell). My question is WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THAT NOTHING EXISTS AFTER DEATH!!!!

Better put on your flame suit buddy.....

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Gabrial, this is the original OP. Why don't we stick to Smilin's intent instead of changing the tone of the thread.

Smilin said:
OSIYO (greetings) to all those of the Catholic faith I once communed with.

Since I can no longer participate in your fine Irish pub...(not going
into details)

I'm reaching out from my own hole to commune and learn more of your
faith.

Please join me as I wish to learn more of your faith. There are no
Catholics in my geographic region, thus I know little of your
customs, faith, and traditions.... just as you know very little
of mine.

Let us travel the same path for a while and learn from each other.

Upvote 0