Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's no sign that this phrase is intended non-literally. In theory OT laws allowed for death, although in practice it wouldn't actually be done. So saying they deserved death is technically accurate. As you know, i think Paul is quoting a stereotypical anti-Gentile Jewish position. He may have been pushing it slightly for effect.
Why couldn't it refer to the physical death we all face? Why not Spiritual death either? What death does the Romans scripture below refer to?

Romans 5:12-15
Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned-- for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why couldn't it refer to the physical death we all face? Why not Spiritual death either? What death does the Romans scripture below refer to?
So my two commentaries on Romans disagree. Dunn's commentary suggests that the reference is to the death threatened in Gen 3. However I think Jewett and Kotansky is more plausible. First, Paul uses the term "decree" also "in 2:26* and 8:4* to refer explicitly to stipulations of the Jewish Torah" ... "The reference in 1:32* implies not some vague entity called “the one divine will,” but rather a specific decree involving capital punishment that stands in a pars pro toto fashion for a wider practice of “such things” mentioned in the catalogue of evils, several of which were indeed subject to the death penalty." Disobedience of a son is actually one of the things punishable by death, Deut 21:18-21. I'm not saying that penalty was actually enforced, but in a moral sense "deserve to die" is plausible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So my two commentaries on Romans disagree. Dunn's commentary suggests that the reference is to the death threatened in Gen 3. However I think Jewett and Kotansky is more plausible. First, Paul uses the term "decree" also "in 2:26* and 8:4* to refer explicitly to stipulations of the Jewish Torah" ... "The reference in 1:32* implies not some vague entity called “the one divine will,” but rather a specific decree involving capital punishment that stands in a pars pro toto fashion for a wider practice of “such things” mentioned in the catalogue of evils, several of which were indeed subject to the death penalty." Disobedience of a son is actually one of the things punishable by death, Deut 21:18-21. I'm not saying that penalty was actually enforced, but in a moral sense "deserve to die" is true.
I must disagree with that commentary. Look at this scripture, it says that all sin deserves death, not just the ones the Torah gave the death penalty for.

Romans 1:29 being filled with all unrighteousness, [l]sexual immorality, wickedness, [m]covetousness, [n]maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 [o]undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, [p]unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why didn't he marry? The apostle Paul said that an unmarried man has more time to serve God instead of his wife. Thats why Paul didn't marry. Maybe thats why Jesus didn't as well. Jesus also knew his time on earth was short. Why did he love one disciple? I dont know but the bible doesnt suggest what you are.
Jesus did marry. He was a rabbi and by the Torra and the custom of the era men could only become a Rabbi if he was married. I once read a detailed theory that his beloved apostle was his son Thomas.

• Informative
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Mitty

Mar 4, 2020
Victoria
✟19,812.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I must disagree with that commentary. Look at this scripture, it says that all sin deserves death, not just the ones the Torah gave the death penalty for.

Romans 1:29 being filled with all unrighteousness, [l]sexual immorality, wickedness, [m]covetousness, [n]maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 [o]undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, [p]unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.
Either way biblical morality, including the ten commandments etc, is obviously just man-made and is subjective and not objective and changes as society changes. Which is why it wasn't morally wrong for Abraham to have sex with his sister and commit adultery with Hagar, or for Abraham to kill his son as a blood sacrifice, or for Cain(an) to kill his brother Abel, or for Lot to sexually assault his daughters since the ten commandments didn't apply to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mitty

Mar 4, 2020
Victoria
✟19,812.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Jesus did marry. He was a rabbi and by the Torra and the custom of the era men could only become a Rabbi if he was married. I once read a detailed theory that his beloved apostle was his son Thomas.
So where does the bible say that Jesus was married and that Thomas was his son. And if so, is that why Jesus went to India with Doubting Thomas and is buried near Srinager after he was resuscitated by Joseph and Nicodemus with the help of 30 kg of healing agents including Aloe vera (John 19:39-40)?

And if Doubting Thomas was Jesus' son then who was the particular disciple who Jesus loved, and who was Jesus married to?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is homosexuality a mental disorder?
No, lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations are not disorders.
Research has found no inherent association between any of these sexual orientations and psychopathology.
https://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation.pdf

Hopefully you will note that you thought this source supported your claims.
again it's all politically motivated. Do you think homosexuals like being called mentally ill, how would you like it? So I think it's safe to say they lobbied to have it removed. After all if you are not careful you can be charged with being prejudiced or worse. So it's easier to just say that it's not mental illness, but is it actually the case? Well I have not seen any case studies the refute the case studies I presented. Again I don't think you have case studies, peer reviews yes, psychology manuals yes, psychology websites, yes. But not case study. Not objective fact. All you have is psychology which is a soft science, not hard data. So anyway, you can message me if you find any, but I am unsubscribing, and only will periodically check here.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
again it's all politically motivated. Do you think homosexuals like being called mentally ill, how would you like it? So I think it's safe to say they lobbied to have it removed.

The subjects don't get to create the psychology guidelines. The claim is ridiculous. And even if they did lobby. Do you think people who get paid to help other people would change their methods to something harmful because they were asked to by their patients? Even the premise is absurd.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So anyway, you can message me if you find any, but I am unsubscribing, and only will periodically check here.

You are free to do what you want. If you don't want to continue the conversation, freedom rules. This is where the conversation is even after you leave.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why didn't he marry? The apostle Paul said that an unmarried man has more time to serve God instead of his wife. Thats why Paul didn't marry. Maybe thats why Jesus didn't as well. Jesus also knew his time on earth was short. Why did he love one disciple? I dont know but the bible doesnt suggest what you are.

Paul doesn't seem to be attracted to women.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In other words the bible says nothing about female homosexuals, since unlike female heterosexuals they do not have anal sex as described in Romans 1:26-27 and in Lev 18 & 20.

Because they didn't live openly promiscuous lifestyles, which is the problem.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul doesn't seem to be attracted to women.
Paul made it clear why he didnt marry. Your theology is the most sloppy reckless interpretation of scripture on Cf. Never have i seen such ignorance of scripture and sound doctrine.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul made it clear why he didnt marry. Your theology is the most sloppy reckless interpretation of scripture on Cf. Never have i seen such ignorance of scripture and sound doctrine.

You should get out more and see the world!

I do go by scripture but I have no attachment to external teachings. My home church was adjacent to our seminary and filled with young students who all did their own research with little cemented allegiance to any denomination.

If you disagree with my stands, I only honor scripture, in context, as a valid rebuttal. But that's just me. You can stand with any group you wish. It's really a free country and I'm proud and blessed by our diversity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
again it's all politically motivated. Do you think homosexuals like being called mentally ill, how would you like it? So I think it's safe to say they lobbied to have it removed.
History and the public record show that this didn't happen.

After all if you are not careful you can be charged with being prejudiced or worse. So it's easier to just say that it's not mental illness, but is it actually the case? Well I have not seen any case studies the refute the case studies I presented.
the two studies you presented didn't even support your position.

Again I don't think you have case studies, peer reviews yes, psychology manuals yes, psychology websites, yes. But not case study.
do you know what a peer review is?

Not objective fact.
your dislike of the facts don't make them go away

All you have is psychology which is a soft science, not hard data. So anyway, you can message me if you find any, but I am unsubscribing, and only will periodically check here.
you've promised this before....

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should get out more and see the world!

I do go by scripture but I have no attachment to external teachings. My home church was adjacent to our seminary and filled with young students who all did their own research with little cemented allegiance to any denomination.

If you disagree with my stands, I only honor scripture, in context, as a valid rebuttal. But that's just me. You can stand with any group you wish. It's really a free country and I'm proud and blessed by our diversity.
You completely missed the part where Paul explains why hes not married, and you instead suggested that he was gay, without any proof.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You completely missed the part where Paul explains why hes not married, and you instead suggested that he was gay, without any proof.
I stated a fact. He shows no love for women. Jesus did. Paul was a poor advocate for Christ. As a former persecutor of Christians, he merely changed his focus to particular sinners who annoyed him. You can find lists of the types of sinners he persecuted in his writings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I stated a fact. He shows no love for women. Jesus did. Paul was a poor advocate for Christ. As a former persecutor of Christians, he merely changed his focus to particular sinners who annoyed him. You can find lists of the types of sinners he persecuted in his writings.
Yet you quote his writings all the time when it suits you. When it doesnt you say hes a bad teacher.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yet you quote his writings all the time when it suits you. When it doesnt you say hes a bad teacher.
Don't we do that with everyones opinions? Even pedophiles can preach a good sermon. You may have already heard some in person. likely you've listed to the sermon from a sinner. Paul was the worst of all sinners.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't we do that with everyones opinions? Even pedophiles can preach a good sermon. You may have already heard some in person. likely you've listed to the sermon from a sinner. Paul was the worst of all sinners.
No i dont. If someone proves to be untrustworthy i dont listen to them at all. Paul said he was the worst sinner because he persecuted the church before his conversion, not because he was a pedophile.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No i dont. If someone proves to be untrustworthy i dont listen to them at all. Paul said he was the worst sinner because he persecuted the church before his conversion, not because he was a pedophile.
But that's not what he actually said. He said he was the worst of all sinners.
You just refuse to believe what he said. Cause you like how he put down women talking in church. And you like the way he singled out gays as extra bad.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.