Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
First of all, I don't know the answer to this question, I saw it on a TV show. I feel like I've been asleep the past 20 years when I did some subsequent reading about what they're learning about genetics, and chemical science.

Now they can target a gene in your body like eye color among others and invent medicine to either enhance or kill that gene. This is likely how different cancers will be cured.

If there is a gay gene, potentially someone will be able to make a medication to either turn it off or enhance it. The same gene in women would also make them attracted to men in theory. So a person could turn up their sex drive or others potentially.

Would it be moral to take a pill to hinder your attraction to men? Women etc? Would it be moral to give it to your kids? SHould a parent be able to get a gay vaccination for their son if he start "acting funny?"

Many may believe it's a godsend. A lot of the same people wouldn't believe in altering your genetic code at the same time.

If it had been found to be safe for at least 10 years I would probably take it if I liked men that way. Not because I hate gays but I'd rather just be as normal as possible in most regards. Neither being gay nor altering my DNA would sit right with me.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
First of all, I don't know the answer to this question, I saw it on a TV show. I feel like I've been asleep the past 20 years when I did some subsequent reading about what they're learning about genetics, and chemical science.

Now they can target a gene in your body like eye color among others and invent medicine to either enhance or kill that gene. This is likely how different cancers will be cured.

If there is a gay gene, potentially someone will be able to make a medication to either turn it off or enhance it. The same gene in women would also make them attracted to men in theory. So a person could turn up their sex drive or others potentially.

Would it be moral to take a pill to hinder your attraction to men? Women etc? Would it be moral to give it to your kids? SHould a parent be able to get a gay vaccination for their son if he start "acting funny?"

Many may believe it's a godsend. A lot of the same people wouldn't believe in altering your genetic code at the same time.

If it had been found to be safe for at least 10 years I would probably take it if I liked men that way. Not because I hate gays but I'd rather just be as normal as possible in most regards. Neither being gay nor altering my DNA would sit right with me.
I'm pretty sure the evidence indicates that homosexuality is partially developmental rather then strictly genetic.

But for the purpose of the hypothetical existence of a drug that could change your sexuality I think it's completely reasonable for an adult to modify their sexuality if they choose.

We allow them to change themselves with plastic surgery, tattoos, piercings and other modifications, so why not hormonal/sexuality modifications?

However, modifying your children without their consent would be unethical and amoral. Much like the unfortunately common surgical modification of intersex infants.

(Before someone tries to get this onto support of "conversion therapy" for transgender or homosexual people, the issues is that it both doesn't work to change sexuality/gender identity and causes further psychological damage).

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I'd be interested if for people who support the right of parents to make homosexual children heterosexual, would they also support the opposite?

For example if a lesbian couple decided that any daughters they raise should share their sexuality?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'd be interested if for people who support the right of parents to make homosexual children heterosexual, would they also support the opposite?

For example if a lesbian couple decided that any daughters they raise should share their sexuality?

I would be interested to know if you support rights of parents to seek surgery, to correct birth defects, for their children. Would you also support a parent's right to surgically mutilate a normal child?

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There's been lots of work on what makes people gay. While generally it's not their choice, that doesn't mean there's a specific gay gene. Here's the Wikipedia summary:

"Although scientists favor biological models for the cause of sexual orientation,[3] they do not believe that the development of sexual orientation is the result of any one factor. They generally believe that it is determined by a complex interplay of biological and environmental factors, and is shaped at an early age.[1][4][5] There is considerably more evidence supporting nonsocial, biological causes of sexual orientation than social ones, especially for males.[7] There is no substantive evidence which suggests parenting or early childhood experiences play a role with regard to sexual orientation.[10] Scientists do not believe that sexual orientation is a choice.[3][4][6]"

Twin studies support a strong biological contribution. However there are parts to biological development other than genes. One is "epigenetics." This is chemical influences on how genes are expressed. Wikipedia cites evidence that this may be more important than the genes themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
We allow them to change themselves with plastic surgery, tattoos, piercings and other modifications, so why not hormonal/sexuality modifications?

However, modifying your children without their consent would be unethical and amoral. Much like the unfortunately common surgical modification of intersex infants.

(Before someone tries to get this onto support of "conversion therapy" for transgender or homosexual people, the issues is that it both doesn't work to change sexuality/gender identity and causes further psychological damage).

People do change in all kinds of ways surgically and injectionally, a pill is much more benign.

I have seen stories on TV about those conversion places. If I was forced to endure that as a youth, I would feel completely inadequate and even like a mistake or a burden on my parents.

The really sad thing about those places is often it is the child who hate themselves so much they will endure it so they will feel better accepted by their parents or a parent. Then the acceptance they feel is not for their true self but a made up version. Mostly because they will still have the desires and attractions they can't always control and they blame and hate themselves after thet program for not being told it from a lack of fait or not "truly being saved etc.

If someone is going to change a behavior (without gene therapy) they must want to do it. Then you own up to your shortcoming so you can become fully aware of what situations trigger a desire to engage in whatever behavior and either avoid those situations or have strategies for dealing with them. Then it is a matter or the strength of your desire (and of course God's permission but he pretty much always helps us when we ask him sincerely for help Especially when we spend time with supportive people.

The other way really hurts people/

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
This must be a hypothetical question? There is no definite proof of a gay gene.
Yes, that what I say at the beginning. I saw it on a TV show about a bunch of super elite scientist in Canada. They seem to be going through all of the hot devisive questions on this series.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Assuming that being gay is mostly biological, in principle it might be possible to prevent it. However the ethics of that kind of change is rather gray, in my opinion. If we choose characteristics that are currently popular, we reduce the diversity, and likely prevent the existence of people who would turn out to be valuable. Imagine governments producing only citizens who will obey without question, or people selecting for characteristics that will made children favor a specific party or ideology. This is a really bad idea, and I think most of us would consider it highly unethical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm starting to thik it will someday be possible for parents to select all of their child's genetic traits. You can have a tall green eyed athlete with a photographic memory and no predisposition to any known genetic diseases. A computer splices up a glob of genetic material which they place in an egg or the inject it with the cell splitting compound and incubate until it's a embryo. Then put it in the professional surrogate until your new baby is ready for pick up at the nursery.$359,000 total at 3.5%.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

There is no gay gene. It is a learned behaviour.

• Agree
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm starting to thik it will someday be possible for parents to select all of their child's genetic traits. You can have a tall green eyed athlete with a photographic memory and no predisposition to any known genetic diseases. A computer splices up a glob of genetic material which they place in an egg or the inject it with the cell splitting compound and incubate until it's a embryo. Then put it in the professional surrogate until your new baby is ready for pick up at the nursery.$359,000 total at 3.5%.
They have not eliminated Down Syndrome. The Bible story about Able and Cain told of two brothers of similar genetic composition turned out different. The evil one killed his benevolent brother. I have a cousin who became a lawyer. Her sister is on disability with bipolar disease.

Some homosexuals received Christ, were cleansed of their sins and did no more homosexual acts.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Assuming that being gay is mostly biological, in principle it might be possible to prevent it. However the ethics of that kind of change is rather gray, in my opinion. If we choose characteristics that are currently popular, we reduce the diversity, and likely prevent the existence of people who would turn out to be valuable. Imagine governments producing only citizens who will obey without question, or people selecting for characteristics that will made children favor a specific party or ideology. This is a really bad idea, and I think most of us would consider it highly unethical.
From what I have been reading, there may already be genius baby banks even in the USA. They map out the sperm and egg doner's genetic code and you can but some sperm and an egg and have a genius or place it in a surrogate would be even more extreme. You can currently purchase genetic material (eggs and sperm)

If we stop using nature like people meeting who like something about each other so they are attracted to each other physically, we could loose that instinct.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There is no gay gene. It is a learned behaviour.
So there are people teaching gay? How does one learn gay? Do we also learn straight? Can one choose which one they want to learn?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I have been reading, there may already be genius baby banks even in the USA. They map out the sperm and egg doner's genetic code and you can but some sperm and an egg and have a genius or place it in a surrogate would be even more extreme. You can currently purchase genetic material (eggs and sperm)

If we stop using nature like people meeting who like something about each other so they are attracted to each other physically, we could loose that instinct.
They can clone champion race horses. Cloning humans does not seem right.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So there are people teaching gay? How does one learn gay? Do we also learn straight? Can one choose which one they want to learn?
Not all learned behavior is intentionally taught. But in this specific case the idea that it's primarily learned is ideology, which is contradicted by the available evidence.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There are psychologists who are teaching that a person can be born gay and another can be born straight. Under that influence, a person who has gay tendencies may believe that he is gay and there is no option for him. After all, an expert with a PhD in Psychology should know what he's talking about! But then, the principal founders of psychology were all atheists and their theories disallowed any kind of divine foothold.

In my view, psychology is a fraud, and only lines the pockets of the psychotherapists whose advice results in just more expensive psychotherapy, and the pockets of the shareholders in drug companies that tell us that taking their pills will help cure psychologist problems, which may not exist in the first place.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.