the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why and when do people cross themselves?
What jobs can women do in the Church?
Are there any rules about what is or isn’t acceptable to wear? (No tattoos, no jewelry, etc?)
How can you ask the saints to pray for you while praying to God at the same time? (This isn’t the first time I’ve asked that question, but it’s still confusing to me)
Also can you define some of the words I’ve been hearing: Chrismation, Catechumen, Logos, Liturgy (I sorta know what the last one means but not enough to use it in a sentence).

Last edited:

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To keep away the demons.
Chanter/choir member/choir director/babushka/nun/abbess
Are there any rules about what is or isn’t acceptable to wear? (No tattoos, no jewelry, etc?)
Christian modesty is encouraged, although not always practiced by the teen-20 somethings. These days modesty is easily accomplished just by wearing a shirt tucked in, or a simple dress for womenfolk. I keep my tattoo sleeves covered up. Wedding rings, baptismal cross, prayer ropes. Wife wears earrings and a headcovering/veil. Absolutely no furry costumes.
How can you ask the saints to pray for you while praying to God at the same time? (This isn’t the first time I’ve asked that question, but it’s still confusing to me)
Because the Church is a community.
Also can you define some of the words I’ve been hearing: Chrismation, Catechumen, Logos, Liturgy (I sorta know what the last one means but not enough to use it in a sentence).
Chrismation: Receiving the Holy Spirit through anointing.
Catechumen: One receiving catechism
Logos: The Son of God, the Foundation, the Cornerstone, etc.
Liturgy: "Work of the People"

My answers are less than stellar.

• Haha
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Hello, and welcome! These are all great questions.

1. Why do people cross themselves? A ritualistic symbol in the Orthodox Church. It is also viewed as a prayer in its own right, as it conveys love for God with all our hearts, souls, minds, and strengths. The sign of the cross is an outward, physical manifestation of what we believe. It conveys the importance of the cross as a symbol of Christ’s victory over death and His Glorious Resurrection.

2. When do people cross themselves? At the invocation of the Holy Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), mentioning of the Holy Theotokos (The Virgin Mary), at the beginning, or end of a prayer, and before, or after venerating an icon. Really there's no wrong time, but generally watching, and following others will work until you get the feel of it for yourself.

3. What jobs can women do in the Church? Women can lead, and participate in the Parish Council. The Parish Council leads the church in all administrative matters to include the large decisions concerning the future of the parish. Lead, and participate in teaching Sunday School classes, and many other lay ministries. Chant, or sing in the choir. This list isn’t exhaustive, and I’m surely forgetting things.

4. What is or isn’t acceptable to wear? A good rule of thumb here is to keep it modest. So, the less cleavage showing the better, and a skirt/dress should come down to at least the finger tips with the arms down to your sides. On that note it’s unlikely you’ll get thrown out for not following these guidelines, but you may get a few looks. The idea is we’re not trying to attract attention to ourselves as it could distract people from the real purpose they’re in the church which of course is Christ. This applies to men as well.

5. How do you ask the Saints to pray for your while also praying to God at the same time? The Saints are the church triumphant, and we ask them to pray for us the same way I’d ask you to pray for me. The idea is that they are alive in Christ as Christ is the God of the living, and not the dead. So, we ask them to pray to Christ for us. If this is something that you’re uncomfortable with I’d not focus too much on it as it’s something that you will likely become more comfortable with over time as you learn more about why we do it.

6. Chrismation: Sealing of the Holy Spirit with Chrism (oil). This goes hand in hand with baptism, and occurs directly after. In addition if you've already had a trinitarian baptism you may, in some instances at the discretion of the bishop, be brought into the Church by chrismation alone as you've already been baptized. This is typically an "ask your priest" subject for converts unless you know that you've never been baptized, or that it was not in a trinitarian manner.
Catechumen: An individual learning about Orthodoxy as part of their catechism (instruction).
Logos: The Son of God, Christ.
Liturgy: Usually used in reference to the Divine Liturgy which is the primary worship service of the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Phronema thank you!
The idea is that they are alive in Christ as Christ is the God of the living, and not the dead.
I found this especially helpful because some Christians say that asking saints to pray for you is wrong because it’s praying to the dead. Thank you for helping me understand the difference

• Friendly
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

1. to bless ourselves with the sign of Christ’s victory over death. we cross ourselves all the time.
2. teacher, seminary professor, monastic, clergy wife, choir director, parish council member, etc.
3. dress modestly (long sleeves, pants, skirts below the knees, etc). try to avoid logos.
4. same reason I can ask you to pray for me and go to God. He is the God of the living.
5. chrismation is the anointing and laying on of hands, catechumens are those preparing to join the Church, Logos is Greek for Word and is a title for Christ, and Liturgy is the work of God in His people when we come to Church.

Reactions: Melista
Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟23,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Crossing oneself: Any time, in or out of church. I cross myself when I think how God helped me in or out of a situation, as thanks and an acceptance of His blessings. If you are thankful, or worried, or prayerful (for yourself or someone else), one should cross oneself.

Related to intercession by "dead Saints", one prays for the dead. This is foreign to most protestants.

Upvote 0