Minneapolis
✟174,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is my almost spoiler-free review of the Christmas movie, “Klaus” that I will be watching again soon. Klaus (2019) gives an alternate origin story for the Santa Claus legends that is suitable for children, but very meaningful to adults as well. The main character is Jesper, the lazy and terribly spoiled son of the Royal Postmaster General. In order to teach his son character, the father takes away all his privileges until he can prove himself by running the post office on a remote northern island town called Smeerensburg. So Jesper grudgingly sets out to prove himself so he can return to his lavish lifestyle. When he gets to Smeerensburg he finds a dysfunctional town divided by two feuding clans, no functioning school or post office, and no need of sending letters. In the course of trying for his own selfish reasons to convince somebody to send letters, he meets a reclusive old woodsman, Klaus of the title. And he meets a disillusioned former school teacher who now sells fish to get enough money so she can get out of there. What happens next I won't say, but it is a redemption character arc for all three of those characters, as well as the town in general. I would also like to mention the appearance of the Sami people in this film. They are the real-life indigenous people of northern Norway, Sweden, and Finland, sometimes called the Laplanders. They do not play a huge roll in this film, but they are significant. I mention this because it was done so much more authentically than the Disney film, “Frozen II”. There is a little Sami girl in the film, Márgu, the most lovable character in the film, who is voiced by a real-life Sami girl, Neda Margrethe Labba, speaking in her Sami language. I would love to say more about this film, but I don't want to spoil it for those who have not yet seen it. It is currently available on Netflix.

• Winner
Reactions: timothyu

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would also like to mention the appearance of the Sami people in this film. They are the real-life indigenous people of northern Norway, Sweden, and Finland, sometimes called the Laplanders.

The Sami do not like being called "Laplanders" though. So, stick with Sami

• Agree
Reactions: LeafByNiggle
Upvote 0