A christian formally leaving the catholic church. A few questions...

Jun 7, 2021
Čakovec
✟16,198.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am christian by faith. Just christian.
However,
I was baptized in the catholic church by the catholic church.
I do not consider myself catholic anymore, so I would like to formally leave the catholic church. I would make known in my decision and statement that I do not renounce my christian faith nor my baptism.

however, if I make a formal decision and leave the catholic church,
1. would doing that also nullify or renounce my baptism?
2. if so, would that nullify or renounce just my catholic baptism, or my catholic and christian baptism althogether?
3. in general, isn't now baptism by the Holy Ghost the only baptism that matters?

Thank You!

Last edited:

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
However,
I was baptized in the catholic church by the catholich church.
I do not consider myself catholic anymore, so I would like to formally leave the catholic church. I would make known in my decision and statement that I do not renounce my christian faith nor my baptism.

however, if i make a formal decision and leave the catholic church,
2. if so, would that nullify or renounce just my catholic baptism, or my catholic and christian baptism althogether?
3. in general, isn't now baptism by the Holy Ghost the only baptism that matters?

Different Christian faiths have different beliefs about baptism. Since you are leaving the Catholic Church, I assume you no longer care what the Catholic belief is about baptism, so I won't talk about that. What other Christian faiths believe about baptism depends on the Church. Some of them (maybe most of them) would recognize the Catholic baptism as valid in their church, and some of them do not believe in baptism at all. (I know the Catholic Church recognizes baptisms done in other Christian Churches). When you decide where to call home, then you will have to ask them what they believe about baptism. It sounds like you don't have any firm belief of your own about it yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1watchman
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Your original baptism is indelible and effectual throughout your life irrespective of what Christian tradition you follow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
However,

Thank You!
When you finally decide you want to be Catholic again what you do is simply go to confession and confess any sins committed since your last confession. Many people leave and then come back. That’s all you have to do.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello, WisdomAboveKnowledge.
However,
There is no need to formally notify the Catholic Church of your decision.

No, and the Catholic Church wouldn't say that it does, either.

None of those. Few of the other churches that you might choose to join would say that your original baptism was invalid; and the Catholic Church itself considers the baptisms it performs to be valid forever, no matter what else those people may choose to do later on.

Also No.

The "Baptism of the Holy Ghost" is entirely separate from sacramental Baptism and is not a replacement, an improvement, or a necessary second step after sacramental Baptism.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However,

Thank You!

Looks like you've already left the catholic church. If you want to give a testimony about leaving, then I'd talk to your current pastor but it is not really required. To answer your questions though

1. and 2. Baptism does not save, that is faith. If you've gotten baptized since you were a baby, it would do nothing to nullify it, not that it is anything more than an outward sign of your faith.
3. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is something that is open to interpretation among the different denominations however, you receive the Holy Spirit at salvation regardless.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
However,

Thank You!
Depending on who you join up with, they may want to baptize you again because they want nothing to do with your original baptism. Others will accept your original baptism.

Upvote 0

CMDRExorcist

Theology Explorer
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟152,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Catholic Church is not Christ. Your baptism is not "invalid" because you decide to leave them because they don't have the final authority on a person's salvation. However, there's no rule against getting baptized again if you choose to do so. I've known a few people who left the Catholic (or other) churches and eventually chose to be re-baptized as a renewed affirmation of faith.

Whatever you choose, I wish you well on your journey.

Ex

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However,

Thank You!
Welcome! I too left the Catholic Church many years ago. By doing so, you are no longer obligated to believe that infant baptism saves. You are correct, the Holy Spirit baptism, which is the Father and Son making their home in us, is salvation. No Holy Spirit, no salvation.
When you find a congregation, they will guild you into a new " water baptism " which is an outwardly ritual for others to witness your regeneration and commitment to Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Be blessed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Christian church's Nicene Creed since the 4th century reads, "...(we) believe in one baptism for the remission of sins." Most of the church has always held that one baptism is sufficient and should not be repeated. The churches that require otherwise are few and far between.

If you were to join my denomination, re-baptism would not be required.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
However,

Thank You!

You can’t nullify baptism, once you receive the Holy Spirit you are sealed unto the day of redemption. You can however grieve the Holy Spirit thereby jeopardizing your salvation if you don’t repent but as long as your heart is set on God and you follow Christ’s words you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As we go out side we look around and see .. wow so many tents here huh! Look at that tent over there.. is that covered in GOLD? Yet the one next to it.. ooh never seen so many holes in a tent before. Oh look up front.. its HIM the king of kings and lord of lords. He is the head we are the body. He is the vine we are the branches that believe Christ came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sins. Was buried rose the 3rd day and is seated at the right hand of the Father. Is the only way to the Father.

Its Him.. all about HIM.. believe in Him.. trust in Him.. know Him. Gotta say LUKE 11 13 amen.

Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟89,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However,

Thank You!

Hi WAK,

Baptism is an outward/public expression of faith that you are a follower/believer in the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

If you been baptised before, that is perfectly fine. If you want to get baptised again after a change of knowledge of your faith, you can do that as well. There is no law on how many times you can get baptised in your life. :)

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However,

Thank You!

That is a reasonable question, considering all the rules the RC religion has; but Godly baptism (not by sprinkling) is a open testimony going under the water as washing away the old life and living for the Lord Jesus. It is a public testimony (of the new Assembly) before godly witnesses showing your dedication to the Savior, and taking a stand with Him.
Usually the true saints of God who can be present can testify to the truth of it. If your condition is not like unto this with a real Christian to testify to it, then most saints of God elsewhere might well like to see one baptized according to Scripture to see the truth; however, the Lord knows one's heart as to one's desire to obey and honor God, so one needs to decide if they are honoring our God.
An individual Assembly elsewhere might decide what is needed, so you should talk to the Elders of the Assembly you join to ---hopefully a Bible-only assembly. Write me privately if you wish, if you have questions, for I would not debate here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However,

Thank You!

The bible says:

2Ti 2:19 But God's strong base is unchanging, having this sign, The Lord has knowledge of those who are his: and, Let everyone by whom the name of the Lord is named be turned away from evil.

The fact is God knows your heart, he knows you are His. Whether you choose to accept your previous baptism or have a new one, is a decision for you to make.

The most important thing is not the tradition, but the heart of faith towards God. When you have faith, you are saved.

As for baptism in the Holy Spirit, I am a pentecostal so believe in it, however, in my experience, this is often not an experience different from salvation itself. When one is saved they receive the Holy Spirit, often not with great fanfare. As for experiencing the gifts of the Spirit as Paul said we need to "seek" after these to receive them. I say this so you don't think you need some wow of an experience to prove you are saved, salvation is by faith in Jesus's death and resurrection. I believe in daily seeking Jesus for His strength, daily waiting on Him for strength.

Mark 14:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

So what I am saying is when you were saved (put your faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus) you received the Holy Spirit, but you can encounter the Holy Spirit's power as you pray.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is an outward/public expression of faith that you are a follower/believer in the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

If you been baptised before, that is perfectly fine. If you want to get baptised again after a change of knowledge of your faith, you can do that as well. There is no law on how many times you can get baptised in your life. :)
Well, depending on which church you belong to, there may indeed be a "law" against it--meaning, of course, a rule in that church against going through the motions of baptizing a person who already has been baptized.

None of the best known denominations--Catholic, Orthodox, Episcopalian, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, and so on--would agree that there's a need to "re-baptize" an already-baptized person. The Baptists are, of course, the most notable exception.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However,

Thank You!

Baptism is not a denominational thing. It is a public declaration that you are a follower of Jesus Christ. If you are still a believer of Jesus Christ and if you decide to leave a particular denomination how can it mean that you are renouncing your baptism? You still belong to Jesus and not to a denomination.

Upvote 0