London, UK
Visit site
✟9,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey :wave:

So I've been reading a topic on General Theology where one of the main contributors seems to have a lot to say about the Latin Church Fathers and how all of the Western Church - apparently Catholics and all who broke from you - are wrong. His main issue is what he sees as...invalid(?) views of the Atonement and God's justice, views held in most Western Churches.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you Catholics think and may have to say about it. The topic can be found here. If you don't respond on that topic, then maybe you can say a word or two here about what you think?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: NVM. Looks like a mod got to his posts. Can someone close or delete this topic for me? Thanks.

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Perceivence said:
Hey :wave:

So I've been reading a topic on General Theology where one of the main contributors seems to have a lot to say about the Latin Church Fathers and how all of the Western Church - apparently Catholics and all who broke from you - are wrong. His main issue is what he sees as...invalid(?) views of the Atonement and God's justice, views held in most Western Churches.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you Catholics think and may have to say about it. The topic can be found here. If you don't respond on that topic, then maybe you can say a word or two here about what you think?

Thanks in advance!
I don’t even have to look at the thread to know who you are referring to.

With out even knowing a thing about the thread I will say this; the western theology is not different from the east. One portrays the mystical mysterious side and the other gives the practical application of the mysteries to day to day life.

The east and the west are two halves of the same whole and that is my perspective with out even looking at the thread.

On the topic justification- Catholics believe that although not guilty personally of the fall of mankind- we do inherit the penalty of the sin, which is hell and that divine justice demands satisfaction. We believe we will go to hell if not saved by Christ.

The east tend to focus on the wounded fallen nature and sees the fall as a illness where fallen man was render diseased with sin where he will be a sinner in need of Christ’s redemption but sees that redemption strictly in a healing sense, rather than a judicial, paying off a debt.

Therefore mankind is in need of redemption on a therapeutic level, that man is born again to receive grace to heal sinful man and to give strength and light to the fallen man. And we agree wit that 100% but the “west” and the reformers who followed, believe there is a debt to pay through Christ as well in order for divine justice to be satisfied. They see this is the great heterodox heresy of Augustine..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.