✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
issa said:
what are some recommended blogs, pls rate them tell us why.

after signing up and beyond making simple posts, what else can we do to make the blog more interesting?

i presently have an account at blogger.com.
There are many blog scripts out there. I'm using b2evolution right now and it's a nice script. Word Press is another great blog script. Recently I found out that Xoops will run Word Press and I'm checking that out now on my test server. Xoops is a portal but I can default Word Press in the portal page so the site looks like just a regular blog site... but with all the portal function.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
issa said:
um, im not getting everything youre saying, sorry.. what's a script? are those sites like blogger or better? how?
Oh sorry, I just assume most people have had some level of computer programming from their school days since we even had it back in my day ;)

Scripting is simply the programming code that you input into the editor to create programs. Editors can be very advanced in function or could simply be Windows notepad, but it's just a line by line code in the language you are writing with commands in the editor and saved in that format.

Even actors have scripts that they read from and output their performance from in words and so does program scripting. But in program scripting it is output into machine language that the computer understands (in the case of the C programming language with a compiler) or as in the case of the php language it is output into HTML by PHP (server run program) from the host server that our web browsers can read. Simply put the code is on their web server, and when a web browser requests your blog, the web server reads the php script/code, translates it into HTML and sends it to your browser for you to read as a web page in most cases.

In the case of a php blogging script, they often use a data base to save all the information such as who is the administrator of the site, who are registered members, their passwords and messages that are saved to the blog, plus many more things. This is often done by mySQL which also runs on the web server and handles all these tasks.

In order to run your own blog which you have full control over as an administrator (or god admin) you must have a server with PHP support, Apache web server support and my SQL support. These are programs that run on the server and handle the operation of the blog. There are also alternative programs that can run on the server to these, but in most cases this is the normal requirements to run your blog. Check with the blog install document to determine what server side support programs are required to run the blog. But most of them simply require what I just mentioned.

You will also need some tools to install your blog. In most cases all you will need is an FTP program to upload your blog scripts to you web server account and then a web browser to initialize/setup the blog to run in your web hosts account. Some php scripts require you to edit your php script from an editor before you put it on the web server account but in most cases it is a very simple and well documented thing to do. This may be something like your mySQL location on the web server you are using and the password for the mySQL account. All this information will be provided by your web host when you create the account most of the time. Again, read the install information that you get when you download the blog program, it will often detail step by step the information to get your blog running.

Ok, why is it better to do it this way? Well it is and isnt better, it just depends on your needs. If you just want a simple blog with no worries then get an account like you mentioned and let them worry about administration and all such details, but your blog will be limited to what they allow. But if you want full control over your blog site to make it do or look any way you want then you need to do it yourself. You can do simple things like create a MIDI music jukebox on your blog or to even letting other people create their own accounts in you blog to have their own blog page in you blog system to do what they want to do under your administration and permissions.

Upvote 0

djchuang

Dec 20, 2004
Orange County, California
Visit site
✟8,427.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With millions of blogs in the world now, there are many different ways to rate them and to vote for favorite ones. I'll leave you to Google to find the ones you're interested in.

You can write about anything that you'd like in your blog, and what makes it interesting IMHO is when your passion and your unique voice shows through. What makes your blog interesting is when you write about what interests you!

And (one of) the ways the internet works, is that people will use search engines to find things, and people will find your blog when they search for a keyword or term that you're talking about.

So, for example, let's say you're really interested in photography, and you blog regularly about photography, and before long, you'll probably have blog readers who find your blog because of your love for photography!

dj

Upvote 0