A Biblical Defense of Sinless Perfectionism.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jason,

I'm not sure that I'm satisfied with your answer. Could you please elaborate more on this, and also give your answer to each verse or verse group underneath a quoting of the verse or verse group?

iow, quote the verse or verses and then give your exposition on what you think they mean. This will make your response a more concise one.

The change in the law has to do with the fact that we don't look at a set of do's and don'ts anymore, but rather at a set of vices and virtues (see Galatians 5:16-24 for Paul's reinterpretation of the law).

No. The idea that there are no more "Do and don't" type commands in the New Testament is just made up by your own mind or by false teachers. I want you to buy a notebook or open a Word document. Then open your New Testament and write down anything that sounds remotely like a New Testament Commandment. When you get to Revelation, you will be shocked to discover there are many proactive commands and preventative commands still given to us as Christians within New Testament Scripture.

If you are not willig to wait that long and you want to discover a few of these now, here is an example of one such list created by a particular church.

1,050 New Testament Commands | Christian Assemblies International

As for Galatians 5:16-24:
While the Old Law as a whole is no longer in effect, Paul says that the "law" is good if one uses it lawfully (1 Timothy 1:8). This is not to say that we seek to look to the commands in the Old Testament so as to obey God. Christians primarily look to the commands in the New Testament and not the Old because the Old Covenant is no longer in effect anymore.

Paul is saying that the "works of the flesh" is sin in Galatians 5:16-24. For sin is transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4). So if one is not walking after the Spirit, they are breaking God's laws like "do not commit adultery", "Do not murder", etc. Paul says that those who do such sins will not inherit the Kingdom of God. Meaning, they will not enter God's Kingdom. John lists similar sins in Revelation 21:8 and says they will be cast into the Lake of Fire. Galatians 5:16-24 is an example of not inheriting the Kingdom of God (i.e. not having salvation) if one sins (in either the Old or the New Covenant).

For surely we are still under God's laws. If this was not the case, then you cannot claim to be under the Command or Law that tells his followers to believe on Jesus (See 1 John 3:23).

You said:
But this means that there are still things to be avoided according to the change of law. And it should be clear that within the change of law not one jot or tittle has passed away from what was already there; therefore there have only been additions to the law within the change; and it is clear that those who obey and teach to obey the least of the commandments in the OT will be called great by our Lord and Saviour on that day. Matthew 5:17-20.

But the Law has changed just as Hebrews 7:12 says.

Christians today do not sacrifice animals to a priest and or they are not seeking to rebuild the Jewish temple to do so. The temple veil was torn from top to bottom letting us know that the priesthood and it's sacrifices are no longer acceptable because Jesus is our Passover Lamb and High Priest (i.e. Advocate).

Also, Jesus said we are not to render an eye for an eye but we are to turn the other cheek.

We are also told by Paul not to judge according to Sabbaths in Colossians 2 and that some regard all days alike in regards to the Sabbath (Romans 14). Yet, in the OT, you could be stoned if you did not keep the Saturday Sabbath.

Peter was told by God that he can now eat unclean animals in a vision (Which is a violation of OT Law).

Paul says that if you seek to be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. Yet, circumcision was a requirement according to OT Law.

So yes. There is a change in the Law.

In Matthew 5:17, when Jesus says He came not to destroy the Law but to fulfill it, He was saying that He was bringing it into it's full completion or intended purpose with the New Law given to us within the New Covenant. For the New Law is superior to the Old Law. For there are no laws that include any death penalties for disobeying God's law now.

In verse 18, Jesus says Heaven and Earth will not pass away until the jot and the tittle of the Law is fulfilled. Jesus is speaking of the Law and the prophets. Jesus uses the words "the Law or the prophets" to refer to the whole of the Old Testament. So while Jesus fulfilled the Law portion of the "Law and the prophets." There are still yet prophecies in the Old Testament (That refer to the End Times) that still need to be fulfilled. Verse 19 is a switch back to the teachings or commands that Jesus just gave at the Sermon on the Mount.

You said:
Also as believers we are no longer under the law (Romans 6:14),

This would be the Old Law that believers are no longer under anymore. Unless again you want to say you are not under the Law or Command in 1 John 3:23 or you are not under the Commands to love God and to love others.

You said:
although the law is written on our hearts and minds (Hebrews 8:10, Hebrews 10:16).

Having the Law written in our hearts is not a new teaching.
David essentially said that he hid God's Word within his heart so that he may not sin against the Lord (Psalms 119:11).

You said:
So it no longer has the power to condemn us from the outside, because we place our trust in the finished work of Christ and walk according to the Spirit and not the flesh.

No. This is not true. 1 John 1:7 basically says that he that walks in the light as Christ is in the light the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. In other words, you have to walk in the light in order for the blood to be applied to you. Re-read 1 John 1:7.

You said:
Because we walk according to the Spirit and not the flesh, the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4). Because we are not carnally-minded but spiritually-minded, we are subject in our minds to the law of the Lord (Romans 8:7).

A believer's free will is not taken away the moment they accept Christ and have a new heart. Yes, they will be inclined to walk in God's good ways, but that is not a guarantee that they cannot fall. Paul says take heed in how you stand unless you fall.

You said:
Also my point about Galatians 6:13 was that Paul said not even those who tout a perfect walk according to the law, have such a walk. The circumcision was a group of people who said that you could keep the law perfectly and thus be saved. They believed that you could be justified by law-keeping. But even they didn't keep the law and therefore were not justified by law-keeping themselves.

Circumcision is the topic of conversation in Galatians 6:13. Circumcision is a part of the Old Law and not the New Law. Paul is not against Law keeping in general. Paul says that what he has written should be regarded as the Lord's commandments (1 Corinthians 14:37). Also, Paul says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to Godliness, he is proud and knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. John says if you hate your brother you are a like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in him (1 John 3:15). So yes. Breaking God's laws still has dire consequences for one's soul in the after life (if such sins are not confessed or forsaken).

You said:
Sin is the transgression of the law. And therefore if someone did not keep the law or if they violated the law even once, they sinned. The group called the "circumcision" touted the righteousness which is in the law as the means of justification. But only perfect obedience can cut it if you go that route (see Galatians 3:10-13).

But the pharisees did not keep God's laws. Jesus's point was not to get them to sin and still be saved or to see the futility in keeping God's laws. Jesus condemned them for their sinful actions many times. This would not be the case if Jesus's ultimate goal was to have them ignore the Law just to get them to believe on Him. But James says, even the demons believe and tremble. A faith without works is a dead kind of faith.

You said:
Therefore the only means of being justified is through faith in Jesus Christ and His finished work on the Cross. Look at Galatians 3:22 again:

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Believing in Jesus is more than just believing in the person of Jesus. It is believing in everything He taught, said, and did, too. Otherwise one is believing in another Jesus that is imaginary. For example: If you believed in a Jesus that told you to jump off a bridge, you would be believing in another Jesus. In other words, if you eliminate Jesus's commands you are not believing in the same Jesus as described to us within the Holy Scriptures. Jesus said if you do not forgive, you will not be forgiven, etc. This is the Jesus you have to believe in. You have to believe Jesus actually meant what He said here. For that is the Jesus of the Bible.

You said:
In order to be justified by Christ we must recognize our sinful state and come to the Father on the basis of Christ's blood and righteousness.

Look for a moment at Romans 4:5, But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Paul's point is Justification (i.e. Initial Salvation or Ultimate Salvation by accepting Christ). Paul was speaking against Circumcsion Salvationism. But if you were to take note, Paul also says in Romans 4, the following.

21 "And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness." (Romans 4:21-22).

You said:
Also Romans 5:6, For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

This would be in reference to people who have repented or asked the Lord to forgive them of their sins. For Paul says we were ONCE sinners but we are not that way anymore. See Ephesians 2:2-3, Colossians 3:6-7.

You said:
And again in Romans 3:23-24, For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God: Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

Paul is talking about Justification or Initial and Ultimate Salvation in Jesus. Paul is not talking about Sanctification in Romans 3. For if you believe that Romans 3:23-24 is talking about the faithful saint in how they live in the present tense then you must also believe that Romans 3:11 is saying how the faithful believer does not have any understanding and does not seek after God, too. This would mean that you are disqualified in teaching anything. Actually Paul is referencing the Old Testament in Romans 3 (See Psalms 14).

You said:
Now in quoting these verses it does not mean that I don't believe in God's sanctifying power. A few verses to consider on the subject are as follows:

Titus 2:14, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly: and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Hebrews 10:10, Hebrews 10:14-17, By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all...For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Sure. I have no doubt you and many others believe that God can sanctify his people. You merely think that it is not a requirement for salvation, though. This is wrong of course (of which I will show you in my next post).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).
"Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." (James 2:17).
"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).
"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, "
(1 Timothy 6:3-4).
"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).
"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).
"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).
"If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha." (1 Corinthians 16:22).
"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).
"Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).
"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).
"For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).
"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (Romans 6:1-2).
"...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17).

And there are of course many more verses like these, as well.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Romans 4:6-8,

6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Romans 4:8 is the conclusion that I make when I understand the implications of such verses as Romans 6:14, Romans 7:4, Romans 7:6, Galatians 2:19, Galatians 3:21-25, Galatians 5:18, Galatians 5:22-23, Hebrews 7:18-19, and Ephesians 2:15, Colossians 2:14, understood in the light of Romans 4:15 and Romans 5:13. See also 1 John 3:4 and 1 John 3:9 in light of these verses.

We are not under the law, are dead to the law, and are delivered from the law. Where no law is, there is no transgression. And sin is the transgression of the law. Sin is therefore not imputed when the law is not in effect.

We are forgiven of our sins, and this means that our relationship to the law is that it does not condemn us any longer as Christians.

Now this is only if we have the indwelling Holy Spirit, if we are really born again. And the heart of one who is born again is that the born again believer loves righteousness and hates sin. Therefore the general direction of the life of the one who is born again is that he or she will walk in righteousness most if not all of the time. But should they stumble they will not be condemned by the law, as their relationship to the law is that they are dead to it, not under it, delivered from it. They are forgiven of all their sins because Christ died for their sins. And their sins were paid for when all of their sins were still in the future, before they were even born (as concerns all those who are redeemed today).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Biblical Defense of Sinless Perfectionism:

I copied and pasted this into a Word doc so I could study this in depth. I have, over the years, had a theological shift from OSAS to considering the doctrine of entire sanctification, especially since it is the theological position of the church I now attend. There's a lot in that entire sanctification teaching I'm still trying to wrap my head around, so your post appears to give a sound apologetic for the doctrine. Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I copied and pasted this into a Word doc so I could study this in depth. I have, over the years, had a theological shift from OSAS to considering the doctrine of entire sanctification, especially since it is the theological position of the church I now attend. There's a lot in that entire sanctification teaching I'm still trying to wrap my head around, so your post appears to give a sound apologetic for the doctrine. Thank you very much!

I am glad that what I wrote was helpful to you. May the Lord Jesus get all the glory.

I am strongly against OSAS, and so I am overjoyed you made the shift or change. I see Conditional Salvation taught on almost every page of the Bible. If this was not the case, then believers have a license to sin to some degree, but I just do not see that kind of belief lining up with the words of Jesus (Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, Luke 10:25-28, etc.), and nor do I see that lining up with the words of the apostle Paul (Titus 1:16, 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14, Romans 8:13, 1 Timothy 5:8).

Anyways, so happy I was able to bless you with my study.

May you always stay strong in the Lord and the power of His might.

Please be well in the Lord.

With loving kindness to you in Christ,

Sincerely,

BL. Highlighter.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0