• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A Bi-Polar Question

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This is every week she does this. If it's not manic high it's low and she has in past told her children she wanted too die even when they where real young.
This is a very difficult situation, yes.
Even with an accurate diagnosis, the same repetitious behavior can continue seemingly unending.
Wise counsel seems often difficult to find too.
And sometimes (many times?) , the main need is time, time, time, in the company of gentle, healing (peaceful) people ...... decades even...... not trying to make changes , but acceptance and enough resources to care for them.....

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
This is every week she does this. If it's not manic high it's low and she has in past told her children she wanted too die even when they where real young.

That doesn't really sound she is bipolar unless that it is on top of another diagnosis.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Been told by her family she's been in five mental hospitals in four years. She said she tried too hang herself. She told jn the past she heard voices and saw the dead woman that lived in house walking down the hallway.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Been told by her family she's been in five mental hospitals in four years. She said she tried too hang herself. She told jn the past she heard voices and saw the dead woman that lived in house walking down the hallway.
In other words, 'they' are or were still seeking to find out what was/is wrong / imbalanced or missing or shouldn't be there:
a good tox-screen might be successful identifying what is troubling anyone's mental balance (synthetic chlorine, nafl, cadmium, lead ..... common toxins found in children and adults) , and a nutritional-screen might be successful identifying clinical deficiencies of Niacin or other B-vitamins (B-12 and B-6 being 2 of the most frequent given that I know of, not for any particular diagnosis, but overall health and several different diagnosis) .... When the protocol does not call for these tests, they might be available by request, or search/ get a second opinion (or 7th opinion) - keep seeking and it will be found (if there is anything to find).

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

What is your relationship with this woman? She has multiple mental health issues and it does not sound like they are under control. You are not going to be able to "save" her or "fix" her and if you are in a relationship with her, make sure you have a solid understanding what her health problems are, how to recognize that they are flaring in the very early stages, and how to help her. She is likely to be in and out of mental health hospitals for the rest of her life if she has already had 5 admission. She also needs to take her meds as ordered but often people with mental health issues stop taking them when they feel "normal" not recognizing that the medication is why they are feeling normal. Some also actually like some aspects of how the mental illness feels and they really don't want to let go of all the symptoms.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
That's sad - (lobs) - and even after they stopped doing them, due to public pressure or law?, they startd again, and worse. (not a good direction though).
They do not do lobotomies today, not at all.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The drug pushers do not like their trade to be diminished
The profit motive notwithstanding, phramaceiticals has been good news for the mentally ill, it being the first treatment that has given any real relief in history. In the 50's you basically had your old drugs like thorazine and lithium. Today there is a much wider selection. My bipolar doesn't respond to the older meds, but is completely under control using Lamictal, one of the modern wonders. I thank God every day for Modern Medicine. This is why the Lord chose a Doctor like Luke to be his spokesman -- to grace the profession with his blessing.

Reactions: MarleneJ
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Some also actually like some aspects of how the mental illness feels and they really don't want to let go of all the symptoms.
I really miss how my bipolar made me so creative, and how it made me so sensitive to music. But I don't miss how it made a disaster of my life. Sometimes you have to make hard choices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
They do not do lobotomies today, not at all.
Well, that's what they say....... it's not a good topic, and not for the faint of heart.
It is also not too hard to find out.... even worse is being done, even to 2 year olds and younger..... but there's not much reason for you to find out about this.
There's nothing you could do about this, until a family member, friend or neighbor or fellow church member needed your help .... if they were willing to make it known, and if then God provided any way for you to be of help....

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Well, that's what they say....... it's not a good topic, and not for the faint of heart.
It is also not too hard to find out.... even worse is being done, even to 2 year olds and younger..... but there's not much reason for you to find out about this.
There's nothing you could do about this, until a family member, friend or neighbor or fellow church member needed your help .... if they were willing to make it known, and if then God provided any way for you to be of help....

Your sources please? The only reference I can find that they do anything like a lobotomy anymore is in the case on non-stop seizures and it is done by a neurologist as a form of brain surgery. Brain surgery does save lives and improve lives. I do not think it is ever done as a treatment for any form of mental illness. The study of mental illness and brain function is still in its infancy and yes, sometimes they have had to try things that they thought would help but stop when they realize that it doesn't. It is not done that way anymore. Sometimes the illness interferes with life so much that they have to try extreme methods to allow a person to live as close to a normal life as possible.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is your relationship with this woman? She has multiple mental health issues and it does not sound like they are under control. You are not going to be able to "save" her or "fix" her and if you are in a relationship with her, make sure you have a solid understanding what her health problems are, how to recognize that they are flaring in the very early stages, and how to help her. She is likely to be in and out of mental health hospitals for the rest of her life if she has already had 5 admission. She also needs to take her meds as ordered but often people with mental health issues stop taking them when they feel "normal" not recognizing that the medication is why they are feeling normal. Some also actually like some aspects of how the mental illness feels and they really don't want to let go of all the symptoms.

She is more a friend then a girlfriend. I make sure she goes too a local mental hospital for her medicine and care. She was married for 45 years to her husband before he died from Cancer and most of time he didn't make her take medicine which I would think make her a major problem too live with. I mainly took her in because nobody wanted her.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Learn as much as you can about her various diagnoses because some of these can "use you up" over time. Be aware of the characteristics of her issues and help her continue to follow up with her meds. If at any time you can no longer help her out, be getting familiar with the social services organizations in your area. They have the ability to help a mental ill person to find housing. Some housing options are better than others and a lot depends on the person's ability to function independently and how compliant they are with their treatment. I can not diagnose her but I do suspect what a few of her issues might be based on some of the info you have provided.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have learned alot from this woman and my local mental hospitals in my area about Bi-polar and I also have two third cousins that have bi-polar. Police has told me she cann't be put in a mental hospital for life unless she hurts herself or someone else. So in my area you wouldn't believe how many people worse then this woman is walking and living on the streets.

She is also 66 years old and I tried too put her in a nursery home for care but they said she is to healthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I have learned alot from this woman and my local mental hospitals in my area about Bi-polar and I also have two third cousins that have bi-polar. Police has told me she cann't be put in a mental hospital for life unless she hurts herself or someone else. So in my area you wouldn't believe how many people worse then this woman is walking and living on the streets.

I have worked on a behavior health unit and yes, we have even discharged a man to "homeless" because they were adults and this was their chosen way of life. It took the doctor a week to decide that this man was capable of keeping himself safe and they arranged a place he could go to get his medications. I have also been told of group homes where the person running it would kick every one out after breakfast and their weren't allowed back until supper time. She didn't give them any of their money for lunch either. My client said he just moved himself out of this group home so he could keep his money and manage it himself. I also saw people being helped into apartments ... so the placement options are pretty varied.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When she's in bad mood she cries and pulls her hair calls herself ugly in the mirror. She been biting her nails. I wonder if men with bi-polar bites their nails also?

She is doing great today because she's in good mood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh please. They DON'T. Lobotomies don't accomplish anything. We know this now. And they cause problems. There is no reason to do a lobotomy, unless you are a psychopath and just want to mutilate someone.

Upvote 0