• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A Bi-Polar Question

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good question. I have no idea. It could be a good thing in that they can each truly understand each other, or a bad thing in that they may exacerbate each others condition.

Pray, ask, leave it to Jesus to guide. He always knows the answers if we have faith.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anything is possible but I think it depends on the people involved and how long they've known each other, how long they've been bipolar, what their stability is like, and what kind of social support they have. I think your lady friend should pray and seek the Lord as well as talk it over with those who know her. Bipolar is such a hard illness because it's so unpredictable even when you're doing everything that's considered right so it really is hard to say....

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The important question is how well is it controlled in both people and I would suggest you work out a contract for each person on how you want your roomie to act if you start to go depressive or manic. Including who to contact for you. If you are both reasonably well managed and comfortable with you conditions, I could see it as being a very beneficial situation. Just keep finances as separate as possible on the event of a manic cycle

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It depends on how dysfunctional you are. Right now I'm highly highly functionally. I could be roommates with anyone. I wouldn't want to be roommates with someone who is dysfunctional, because I'm not.

There are homes for people who are mentally disabled, homes that have a home manager and then each room has two roommies. There is a lot of help with making sure that meds are taken.

The thing is with bipolar disorder, we make terrible roommates for anyone unless we are taking our meds regularly and are getting therapy.

I would approach it like this: I would try to be as functional as possible. I would not look for a roommate to try to fix me. However, a roommate that I get along with well? That's always a plus.

Upvote 0

Tylerx95

Believer
Oct 18, 2017
CT
✟20,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would be very careful about it. It would be good for the depression phases because they could relate to each other and offer support to avoid things like isolation and suicide. Mania is the part that can be very dangerous because when only one person in a household has bi polar and everyone else is normal they can very easily fly off the handle in 2 seconds, especially since they constantly seek to fulfill the need for pleasure in that stage and the ones with alot of anger many times will seek it by getting in physical altercations. As someone thats been arrested for that before and on the receiving end of an unstable parent, i would like to see you avoid that situation. That doesn't mean they can't live together, it only means it has to be planned out extremely carefully. Hopefully both of them are medicated, and looking to increase their relationship with god.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Can two people with Bi-polar make good roommates? I have a lady friend that wants to move in apartment with another lady that has bi-polar condition and wondering if this is a good idea? Thanks for your help.

Could be fine if they are both living as practicing Christians .
Personally, I find if people take the stress tabs/ happy pill (B-100's) (water soluble safe even for children, and no side effects) and are Christians they may be very happy. (sometimes stress can exacerbate relationships, so the B-vitamins always seem to help, even for Christians, since life is so stressful as it is, for most people anyway)

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Could be fine if they are both living as practicing Christians .
Personally, I find if people take the stress tabs/ happy pill (B-100's) (water soluble safe even for children, and no side effects) and are Christians they may be very happy. (sometimes stress can exacerbate relationships, so the B-vitamins always seem to help, even for Christians, since life is so stressful as it is, for most people anyway)
If you think it makes one iota of difference whether the two people are Christian, then you have no idea what being bipolar means.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If you think it makes one iota of difference whether the two people are Christian, then you have no idea what being bipolar means.
If you think a non-Christian is okay, well, what church says that ? ? ?
Can LIGHT have any fellowship with darkness ? Especially that close to each other?
As for bipolar, look up how they understood it before 1950. There was a lot better understanding then than there is today in most places. (you may have to find out what it was called back then first)

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If you think a non-Christian is okay, well, what church says that ? ? ?
Can LIGHT have any fellowship with darkness ? Especially that close to each other?
As for bipolar, look up how they understood it before 1950. There was a lot better understanding then than there is today in most places. (you may have to find out what it was called back then first)
I never said that non-Christians don't need Christ. I simply remarked that being a Christian doesn't give you an edge if you are bipolar. You suffer just as much.

I have no clue why you would think that they had a better understanding in the 1950's about bipolar disorder (which they called manic depression back then). They used to do lobotomies back then. Is that what you prefer?

Today we have many more pharmaceuticals other than lithium to chose from. Lamictal was what finally worked for me--I can now function like a regular human being.

MRI's gave us a window into how the Bipolar Brain works, and how it seems to be related to other mood disorders, and how it is different.

We now understand that there is Bipolar II as well as Bipolar I, and it is interesting that Borderline Personality Disorder responds to pretty much the same pharmaceuticals as Bipolar Disorder, indicating it shares a common biology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would Bi-polar cause this?
1 Friend worries about their past for hours.
2 nail biting their nails down to the skin all day.
3 sleeps all day and stays up all night.
4 Goes to bed and few minutes later up and going to kitchen for drink then goes back too bed all night long doing this.
5 They cann't find their clothes but there closet filled with them.
6. They throw away good stuff in the garbage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tylerx95

Believer
Oct 18, 2017
CT
✟20,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
4 Goes to bed and few minutes later up and going to kitchen for drink then goes back too bed all night long doing this.

Yes 100% of it especially the throwing stuff away and then they'll regret they did and try to find it.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes 100% of it especially the throwing stuff away and then they'll regret they did and try to find it.

I have to storage garbage can in a locked shed to keep them from throwing stuff away.

This friend is a 66 year old woman and her own children and sister has disowned her because of Bi-polar. I found her living on the street homeless and took her in too my home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tylerx95

Believer
Oct 18, 2017
CT
✟20,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to storage garbage can in a locked shed to keep them from throwing stuff away.

This friend is a 66 year old woman and her own children and sister has disowned her because of Bi-polar. I found her living on the street homeless and took her in too my home.

Yes it definitely sounds familiar. I wasted money on different shirts and things before and told my mother to give them away when the veterans come by to collect. It seemed better than just throwing them away, but people with bi polar really can't think straight when making decisions.
That really is horrible overall but letting her know she wasn't alone was a really good thing to do

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
There is more than one diagnosis that would exhibit these things. Also, a person could be NORMAL mentally, and simply have some of these poor habits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I would be very careful about it. It would be good for the depression phases because they could relate to each other and offer support to avoid things like isolation and suicide. Mania is the part that can be very dangerous because when only one person in a household has bi polar and everyone else is normal they can very easily fly off the handle in 2 seconds, especially since they constantly seek to fulfill the need for pleasure in that stage and the ones with alot of anger many times will seek it by getting in physical altercations. As someone thats been arrested for that before and on the receiving end of an unstable parent, i would like to see you avoid that situation. That doesn't mean they can't live together, it only means it has to be planned out extremely carefully. Hopefully both of them are medicated, and looking to increase their relationship with god.

What is the likelihood that they will cycle together. If it isn't controlled, then it could be an issue. If it is controlled then the one not cycling probably can recognize the beginnings of a cycle in the roommate faster than a non-bipolar person and get help sooner and when the person is more receptive to help.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have no clue why you would think that they had a better understanding in the 1950's about bipolar disorder (which they called manic depression back then). They used to do lobotomies back then. Is that what you prefer?
That's sad - (lobs) - and even after they stopped doing them, due to public pressure or law?, they startd again, and worse. (not a good direction though).

The drug pushers do not like their trade to be diminished, anywhere (including here). The tests doctors could use that were available in 1920 to 1950 presumably are or could be still available, I don't know for sure. The information was still available until a few years ago anyway, and was very good to know about for doctors, health care professionals and their families and patients. It is of course harder to find good and true information every day, so if you or anyone does want to know, best to start looking while there is still time.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is this below other things other people with Bi-polar do?

She now crying and then in a few minutes real mad and then hates being around other people and their children all in one day. She wanting to take a trip too some where she never been before but then return after a few hours.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tylerx95

Believer
Oct 18, 2017
CT
✟20,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the likelihood that they will cycle together. If it isn't controlled, then it could be an issue. If it is controlled then the one not cycling probably can recognize the beginnings of a cycle in the roommate faster than a non-bipolar person and get help sooner and when the person is more receptive to help.
Its only a possibility.. One that's best to avoid.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Is this below other things other people with Bi-polar do?

She now crying and then in a few minutes real mad and then hates being around other people and their children all in one day. She wanting to take a trip too some where she never been before but then return after a few hours.

I don't think it is normal to cycle so fast and be considered bi-polar but something is going on that needs some attention if this is an on-going thing or she acts on these emotions. It wouldn't hurt to find a therapist that would help her think through her emotions and get control of them. If this is happens only for a few days each month, it could be very well that her hormones are going whack and this should be discussed with her gynecologist.

Upvote 0