A 24hr day? or 24 billion years = a day?

Adrian Moir

Dec 15, 2021
Lithgow
✟2,147.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The book of Genesis refers to the creation week as having intervals that describes what a day is in relation to time. The intervals are broken up into evening, morning, number and day. So the paradigm in Genesis 1 limits the length of a day to being a 24 hr period for each day of the creation week, which is self-explanatory.
God is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day is a reference from scripture that God is outside of time, and not that day could mean a thousand years on earth, unless it's in respect to a person. For example: "In the day of my forefathers" is a reference to a period of time relative to a persons life span and not in reference to the creation week, which is specifically describing the days of the first week as being officially 24 hr periods, which is self-evident.

Genesis 1:8
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am familiar with the Day/Age concept, but it has three inconsistencies with Genesis 1,
  1. each Day had a single evening and a single morning;
  2. plants (created on Day 3) had not yet sprouted on the beginning of Day 6 [Genesis 2:4-7] (Day 5 creatures [birds & fish] would have no food base for a thousand years);
  3. even if these "Days" were actually millennia, they would only add 7K years to the Earth's existence, not millions/billions/trillions...

Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

Adrian Moir

Dec 15, 2021
Lithgow
✟2,147.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But if you're "adding" to scripture to accommodate for long ages to fit inside of a short time frame then the very laws of time and space would have to change to accommodate for the very idea itself according to the principles of what an idea is, and not a what a fact is based upon.

Because a literal reading of Genesis 1 is referring to a 24hr period for each day as a pattern for man and not for a theory. So it does not matter how many years you believe you should add to the literal reading of Genesis 1, it will always be the literal reading of it and not the ideas you apply to it that will be based on facts.
Thank you and God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But if you're "adding" to scripture to accommodate for long ages to fit...
Who is that response directed to?

full
(Hint: if you want to quote another poster in your reply, highlight that text and hit reply.)

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The book of Genesis refers to the creation week as having intervals that describes what a day is in relation to time. The intervals are broken up into evening, morning, number and day. So the paradigm in Genesis 1 limits the length of a day to being a 24 hr period for each day of the creation week, which is self-explanatory.
God is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day is a reference from scripture that God is outside of time, and not that day could mean a thousand years on earth, unless it's in respect to a person. For example: "In the day of my forefathers" is a reference to a period of time relative to a persons life span and not in reference to the creation week, which is specifically describing the days of the first week as being officially 24 hr periods, which is self-evident.

8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
There is a reasonably logical answer to the age of the earth conundrum. If we reread Genesis 1:2 as "became" instead of "was" it makes more sense. The text allows it. The word translated "was" is the same as the word used of Lot's wife. She did not start out a pillar of salt.

If we look at the formless and void earth as the state it was in because of God's judgement, we can see that the rest of the Genesis account is restoration of the earth, not the initial creation. So this allows for a planet much older than the estimated 6,000 years so.

Why would God judge the original creation? It could well be because Satan was originally ruler of the earth, appointed by God, prior to his proud rebellion. The pre-Adam creation perished in a world wide flood that preceded Noah's flood. This may explain the Cambrian period fossils.

It's a theory and it comes in and out of favour from time to time. Some early Christians believed it. Watchman Nee in the early 20th century also taught this. It makes sense to me and proposes answers to a lot of questions that YEC cannot.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The book of Genesis refers to the creation week as having intervals that describes what a day is in relation to time.

Check it out from 37:30
This is the *only* guy I've ever seen resolve the issue intelligently.
He's a physicist
And Jewish
And a Torah scholar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

God is not constrained by time ... we are.

God created time in relation to the earth ... outside of earth there is no time. To apply earth time to the entire universe is illogical.

and so says science as well ... eternity exists .... the universe is continually expanding.
no beginning no end. The "beginning" is theorized .... yet there is no end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Adam and Eve were created on day 6
Genesis 1
27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

He died 930 years later

Genesis 5:5
"Altogether, Adam lived a total of 930 years, and then he died."

Upvote 0

Adrian Moir

Dec 15, 2021
Lithgow
✟2,147.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@eleos1954 According to scripture, God doth stretcheth out the heavens as a garment to be cast off, which means that the creation grows old, and there will be a new creation according to the scriptures as well.
God bless you today in Jesus' name I pray...Amen

Isaiah 42:4-6
4 He will not grow faint or be discouraged
till he has established justice in the earth;
and the coastlands wait for his law.
5 Thus says God, the Lord,
who created the heavens and stretched them out,
who spread out the earth and what comes from it,
who gives breath to the people on it
and spirit to those who walk in it:
6 “I am the Lord; I have called you in righteousness;
I will take you by the hand and keep you;
I will give you as a covenant for the people,
a light for the nations."

Revelation 21:1-6
The New Heaven and the New Earth
1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold"; The dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.
4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

5 And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold." "I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
6 And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Phero
Upvote 0

Adrian Moir

Dec 15, 2021
Lithgow
✟2,147.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am familiar with the Day/Age concept, but it has three inconsistencies with Genesis 1,
  1. each Day had a single evening and a single morning;
  2. plants (created on Day 3) had not yet sprouted on the beginning of Day 6 [Genesis 2:4-7] (Day 5 creatures [birds & fish] would have no food base for a thousand years);
  3. even if these "Days" were actually millennia, they would only add 7K years to the Earth's existence, not millions/billions/trillions...

Sabertooth, Ambassador of The Thearchy ☝️
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17
"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God,
and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5

:bow:RANSOM RULES!!!
Philippians 2:10-11
:clap:

...Are you ok? Because you sound like a nut case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
...Are you ok? Because you sound like a nut case.

You are going to have to be a little more specific
... unless you are talking to yourself ;)
It's OK.
We've all been there.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Adrian Moir

Dec 15, 2021
Lithgow
✟2,147.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are going to have to be a little more specific
... unless you are talking to yourself ;)
It's OK.
We've all been there.

I was clearly talking to you. That's if anyone's home that is? And the quote from you: "Sabertooth, Ambassador of The Thearchy", was in reference to yourself as the law, rather than under the law, which happens to be the case in fact. So it does not matter what reality you have substituted for yourself, it will always be the facts that will decide the matter and not the theories surrounding the facts. And the fact at hand here is that time on Earth is measured in 24 hour periods from the beginning of the creation week even till now. So the probability that the Earth was not rotating around the sun at some point in the past from day 1 till now is 0.

Genesis 1:1-3
The Beginning
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was clearly talking to you. That's if anyone's home that is? And the quote from you: "Sabertooth, Ambassador of The Thearchy"

I'm Petros. A quote from me would read something like "~Petros"
@Sabertooth is Sabertooth, he's the Ambassador
At any rate, I think I caught you in mid-update of your post when it only had the "Are you Ok, you sound like a nutcase" line and no other reference.
Have fun and good night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Phero

Aug 28, 2021
Lake Havasu
✟7,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is a reasonably logical answer to the age of the earth conundrum. If we reread Genesis 1:2 as "became" instead of "was" it makes more sense. The text allows it. The word translated "was" is the same as the word used of Lot's wife. She did not start out a pillar of salt.

If we look at the formless and void earth as the state it was in because of God's judgement, we can see that the rest of the Genesis account is restoration of the earth, not the initial creation. So this allows for a planet much older than the estimated 6,000 years so.

Why would God judge the original creation? It could well be because Satan was originally ruler of the earth, appointed by God, prior to his proud rebellion. The pre-Adam creation perished in a world wide flood that preceded Noah's flood. This may explain the Cambrian period fossils.

It's a theory and it comes in and out of favour from time to time. Some early Christians believed it. Watchman Nee in the early 20th century also taught this. It makes sense to me and proposes answers to a lot of questions that YEC cannot.
If you ever want to discuss this with more scripture let me know. It is something I believe and have studied alot.

Upvote 0

Adrian Moir

Dec 15, 2021
Lithgow
✟2,147.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm Petros. A quote from me would read something like "~Petros"
@Sabertooth is Sabertooth, he's the Ambassador
At any rate, I think I caught you in mid-update of your post when it only had the "Are you Ok, you sound like a nutcase" line and no other reference.
Have fun and good night.

A quote from you shall be highlighted by quotation marks, and any further referencing needed can come from the context of the message, and not from your pride...Ok?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the fact at hand here is that time on Earth is measured in 24 hour periods from the beginning of the creation week even till now. So the probability that the Earth was not rotating around the sun at some point in the past from day 1 till now is 0.
I believe in literal days.
You seem to, too (but your wording is too convoluted for me to be sure).
And the quote from you: "Sabertooth, Ambassador of The Thearchy", was in reference to yourself as the law, rather than under the law, which happens to be the case in fact.
"Ambassador of the Thearchy" is an allusion to 2 Corinthians 5:20-21,

"Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us:
we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.​
For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us,
that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."​

(Asking what I mean by it is probably more beneficial than assuming the worst... ;))

Last edited:
Upvote 0