olds8598

Overcomer of Divorce
Jul 26, 2013
✟18,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I just finished watching two 9/11 specials on NatGeo. I cried at the end of the second. I was working on Wall Street that day. I was married just three months. I brought with me in a gym bag my wedding photo album. I had stopped off to get a hair cut before work and to show my barber the pictures. I would also show them to my coworkers--at least that was my intention. I saw the 2nd tower get hit and ran from it, worried more about being stampeded by the fleeing crowds from Broadway. I returned to the office, grabbed the bag and was ready to leave when I was stopped by the receptionist who said the CEO ordered everyone to stay inside. When the first tower collapsed, it was like night had suddenly fallen. Outside the office windows it suddenly turned black. Shortly after that, we were allowed to leave. With gym bag in hand, I went downstairs via elevator. By the time I was on the street, the other tower had fallen. I headed to South Street and began a 3 1/2 hour trek to midtown Manhattan. As I walked along South Street I was dumbfounded at no longer seeing the WTC where it stood. All there was a smoky space. I phoned my wife from the nearest working payphone as soon as I could. I did this a couple of more times during my trek up to 36th Street. By then the buses and subways were running again. It was strange to see an American warplane zoom overhead. I took the subway home.

I thankfully never had PTSD or anything related to that day affect me.

As I cried this evening, I uttered my familiar question to the Lord: "Why my marriage, God?"

I call April 15, 2012 my personal 9/11. It was the day my wife phoned me to say our sister-in-law (SIL) told her I no longer could move in with them. Her husband had said "yes" to my request to move in two months prior, February 2012. I had lost my job over a year ago, Unemployment ran out, and I was on the verge of eviction. The plan was for my wife to move in with her folks; there wasn't enough room for me there. I would move in with my wife's brother and his family. He had done this for a family friend and her two children. Plus I had been over their apartment for weekend stays so many times during the decade-long marriage. I was just there for a weekend in March, the month before. Their youngest daughter was the apple of my eye.

I call 4/15/12 my own 9/11 because it was my day of personal devastation and loss. Right now, as I am typing this, I made a parallel to the NY portion of the attacks to 4/15/12. My wife told me of the sudden, mysterious (no reason was given) reversal of our SIL. This is my "first tower getting hit." Everyone in that family knew my plight. "The second tower getting hit" was hearing my wife say, when I asked her what she said in my defense, "What do you want me to do--argue with my family? It's their apartment."

And just as the two buildings eventually collapsed, so did my marriage.

:(

Conspiracists call 9/11 an inside job. Tonight I called the end of my marriage an inside job...perpetrated by my ex-wife.

-----

Like 9/11 survivors and their families, I have survived "that day." By God's grace I was saved from eviction. I continue to work and flourish financially (pay the bills, treat myself, etc.), and heal emotionally. I am slow to rebuild my entrepreneurial project and realize this is due to not having anyone to share the rebuilding and eventual success with. (Yes, I can and will build it for myself now, but it's not easy to alter 10 years of sharing your personal business dream with someone and now being on your own.) I am seeing another therapist not solely for divorce recovery, but for the divorce as a major portion of delayed, denied, and destroyed dreams which leaves me depressed. (How about them 'D's?' :eek:) I have been toying with idea of dating. I go back and forth because (1) I have grown accustomed to being alone, and (2) ladies, y'all all expensive :D.

Thanks for reading.

olds8598

Overcomer of Divorce
Jul 26, 2013
✟18,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
((((Olds)))))
are you still in NYC?
I'm glad you're getting therapy. I too know the continued pain of broken marriage. And words like yours inspire hope that we will continue to heal.
A

Thank you for the hugs and compliment about my words.

I can testify to that old saying "Time heals all wounds."

Yes I am still in NYC...and hopefully this will be my last year. My doctor, who is the last strong tie I have to the Big Apple, is very sick. I learned of this Saturday when I went to follow-up on a knee X-ray. The nurse used the words "life threatening" and "more tests" and may not be back until next month. When I returned to my place, I cried. He has been my physician for over 20 years. He took care of my parents. Even my ex liked him. His bedside manner is rare and his ability prescribe the right medicines and dosages is uncanny. If the good Lord takes him or he retires, I will begin looking to move. Next year will be twenty years in my apartment. I am aiming for North Dakota or thereabouts. I am tired of the city and picture a small house or log cabin by a brook as my next home.

Annessa3, stay strong.

Upvote 0

olds8598

Overcomer of Divorce
Jul 26, 2013
✟18,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the hugs and compliment about my words.

I can testify to that old saying "Time heals all wounds."

Yes I am still in NYC...and hopefully this will be my last year. My doctor, who is the last strong tie I have to the Big Apple, is very sick. I learned of this Saturday when I went to follow-up on a knee X-ray. The nurse used the words "life threatening" and "more tests" and may not be back until next month. When I returned to my place, I cried. He has been my physician for over 20 years. He took care of my parents. Even my ex liked him. His bedside manner is rare and his ability prescribe the right medicines and dosages is uncanny. If the good Lord takes him or he retires, I will begin looking to move. Next year will be twenty years in my apartment. I am aiming for North Dakota or thereabouts. I am tired of the city and picture a small house or log cabin by a brook as my next home.

Annessa3, stay strong.

Regarding my doctor: I just found out it's colon cancer. :cry:

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to hear that olds ...

I grew up in northern Maine. Small town and still have family there. It was interesting to watch people who moved there from the city. Often building a place back in the woods. They would be there for 2 or 3 yrs and then get lonely sell and move away. They never went into town and got to know the locals. Tho some have move there and got to know the locals and became part of the local town life and found a peace that gave them a reason to live. Often church is involved because church is the most active part of small town life usually.

Don't know how that would play with you moving to ND. But thought I'd throw it out there.

Upvote 0

olds8598

Overcomer of Divorce
Jul 26, 2013
✟18,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry to hear that olds ...

I grew up in northern Maine. Small town and still have family there. It was interesting to watch people who moved there from the city. Often building a place back in the woods. They would be there for 2 or 3 yrs and then get lonely sell and move away. They never went into town and got to know the locals. Tho some have move there and got to know the locals and became part of the local town life and found a peace that gave them a reason to live. Often church is involved because church is the most active part of small town life usually.

Don't know how that would play with you moving to ND. But thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for sharing, bro.

The way my life has been, basically since childhood, people have left me, including friends/acquaintances, my own family, my wife and her family. I have grieved over this "curse." Between this, never being one for crowds, and my own distaste for society and things people do/don't do (ex: nowadays you're lucky if you get one "God bless you" if you sneeze on the bus or subway), I have accepted the oncoming solitude of my life. If in ND I have a toe-hold with the townspeople through church and have my cabin with just perhaps a beagle (I want a dog)...I'm good. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0