• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to spot a person who is taking barbiturates? Are there any physical characteristics that the person did not have before—or any personality traits which are different? I might know someone who is taking barbiturates. Please let me know!

Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never really liked barbs ...felt totally wasted and tired.
Look at their face ....eyes may look droopy, not much of a facial expression kind of a wasted look and I couldn't always talk real well.
Were you on barbiturates? How did you get off them? Did it take you long? Do you feel like you are back to the person you used to be before you started them?

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Were you on barbiturates? How did you get off them? Did it take you long? Do you feel like you are back to the person you used to be before you started them?
That was years ago …and I would take whatever I could get my hands on…Probably where I got the nick name “pharma”

I was involved in some really dark stuff and when I got out of that and started getting into the Word I quit everything cold turkey ……except weed…. which I eventually gave up also.

I was doing various other stuff so I don’t remember..my whole life was kind of a fog …I would go from one thing to another. I just remember not liking them much at all.

I have helped others get off of different drugs, and in a controlled environment I would decrease dosage incrementally until it was down to almost nothing. …now days, I think there are better ways than what I did.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The truth is that this person looks expressionless, which is unusual. You could always tell if this person was happy or sad. It is also true this person’s family has experienced a lot of troubles lately, and now this person spends too much time playing video games (I remember when I used to play video games, I used to stay inside all the time, and I looked expressionless, also), and because there are so many things going on, it is hard to tell which ones are weighing more. Assuming that the expressionless look is due to taking medications which are not intended for that person—I mentioned barbiturates—is there a proper way to quit? Are there any withdrawal side effects?

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was years ago …and I would take whatever I could get my hands on…Probably where I got the nick name “pharma”

I was involved in some really dark stuff and when I got out of that and started getting into the Word I quit everything cold turkey ……except weed…. which I eventually gave up also.

I was doing various other stuff so I don’t remember..my whole life was kind of a fog …I would go from one thing to another. I just remember not liking them much at all.

I have helped others get off of different drugs, and in a controlled environment I would decrease dosage incrementally until it was down to almost nothing. …now days, I think there are better ways than what I did.
The truth is that this person looks expressionless, which is unusual. You could always tell if this person was happy or sad. It is also true this person’s family has experienced a lot of troubles lately, and now this person spends too much time playing video games (I remember when I used to play video games, I used to stay inside all the time, and I looked expressionless, also), and because there are so many things going on, it is hard to tell which ones are weighing more. Assuming that the expressionless look is due to taking medications which are not intended for that person—I mentioned barbiturates—is there a proper way to quit? Are there any withdrawal side effects?

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

There are several things that can cause expressionless…. barbs are one. But there are several other things that may not be drug related…as you stated. Possibly video games combined with depression, some sort of PTSD…it could be a variety of things. If you are close to the family, it is not hard to figure out if its meds…just by keeping track of the count. But if this has been going on for any length of time there would have to be a pretty good supply.

If it is barbs ….the best advice I can give is to work with the person…to get them to realize that they have a problem and are in need of help…the worst thing you can do right now is to take away the source; cold turkey is not a good idea. There is a dependance both physically and physiological …both of which can cause adverse effects if the source is suddenly gone.

**The first thing to do is to contact a substance abuse center and ask for advice…..as I am really not qualified on that end of it….they are….. Those centers deal with this on a daily basis.

Depending on your relationship with the person …getting them to a treatment center is the best option. This requires confrontation which will result in denial and lies from the subject…. so you need to be strong, firm, loving, caring and resilient…. But that most likely will be explained to you by a counselor at the abuse center.

I quit cold turkey, because I was sitting in a class where I was bombarded with the Word of God for hours and days …and God just healed us through the Word. A friend of mine who was also in this class was in worse shape than me….He had been a speed freak for several years… and then there was Franko who was also toasted from way too much acid…neither of them could carry on a coherent conversation….By the end of that class we were all healed and drug free…..aside from the weed, which I maintained for a couple of months afterward …..but it just slowly disappeared from my life.

Upvote 0