Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
His full name is a bit further down in the article!
My mention was that his name was not in full but was edited in the streamer.

This makes the observation about BBC scrubbing the full name a truth. Being the streamer in reporting of terrorist assaults the CVI. (Center of Visual Interest) Captures the eye of the reader foremost before the copy.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
My mention was that his name was not in full but was edited in the streamer.

This makes the observation about BBC scrubbing the full name a truth. Being the streamer in reporting of terrorist assaults the CVI. (Center of Visual Interest) Captures the eye of the reader foremost before the copy.

Conspiracy theories only

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Conspiracy theories only
I've no idea what that means.
My report concerned Newspaper Journalism styling. Further, it is not a theory when the BBC's own streamer omits the full name of the Munich gunman by will of the editor-in-chief.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
His full name is a bit further down in the article!

Here is what they first said:

The 18-year-old gunman who killed nine people in Munich was obsessed with mass shootings but had no known links to the Islamic State group, German police say.

Written material on such attacks was found in his room. Munich’s police chief spoke of links to the massacre by Norway’s Anders Behring Breivik.

The gunman, who had dual German-Iranian nationality, later killed himself.

His name has not been officially released but he is being named locally as David Sonboly.

He had a 9mm Glock pistol and 300 bullets in his rucksack.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Here is what they first said:

The 18-year-old gunman who killed nine people in Munich was obsessed with mass shootings but had no known links to the Islamic State group, German police say.

Written material on such attacks was found in his room. Munich’s police chief spoke of links to the massacre by Norway’s Anders Behring Breivik.

The gunman, who had dual German-Iranian nationality, later killed himself.

His name has not been officially released but he is being named locally as David Sonboly.

He had a 9mm Glock pistol and 300 bullets in his rucksack.

Link?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
IT"S BEEN EDITED NOW. I grabbed that before it was. Please do not suggest, infer, or directly say that I am a liar.

Lol, you grabbed it before it was edited! lol :wave: ^_^:scratch: lol

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
No. I made it up. Welcome to my ignore list. It's been a long time coming.

Awww, buddy! Just cause you didn't have a link to the quoted post doesn't mean you have to get upset?

I saw the BBC news article myself. Always had the guys FULL name!!

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I feel rather conflicted about this. The public should be informed about what is happening in society. There are extremist Muslims who are a threat to our safety. However, we also need to be aware that there are extremist Islamophobes who take out their anger on peaceful Muslims when incidents are reported in the media.

Do you have any reports of people taking out their anger on Muslims in the past month?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any reports of people taking out their anger on Muslims in the past month?
Verbal yes, but violence no. My grandchildren attend a multicultural school where people are just trying to get on with their lives but reporting of Islamic terrorist action often gives rise to insults for Muslim families. Not major on the world scene but very significant in the lives of those abused.

This is not a reason to stop the responsible reporting of the threat posed by Islamic terrorists.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Verbal yes, but violence no. My grandchildren attend a multicultural school where people are just trying to get on with their lives but reporting of Islamic terrorist action often gives rise to insults for Muslim families. Not major on the world scene but very significant in the lives of those abused.

This is not a reason to stop the responsible reporting of the threat posed by Islamic terrorists.

Agreed. Reporting should be accurate.

Upvote 0

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
The assassin was born and raised in Germany. He holds a German passport. As far as I am aware his official name in Germany is 'David Sonboly'. The German news site 'Spiegel online' gave this name as the name under which he was registered in Germany. He seems to have used the additional 'Ali' also on Facebook. I am not sure that this was even his official name.

So, in short: I think the media were correct in naming him as 'David', as that is his name.
The idea that the media suppressed his 'islamic' name in my view is a conspiracy theory. In fact I believe that media which gave his name as 'Ali Sonboly' were playing on anti-muslim prejudice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
No. It is to judge people based on their faith, not on their behaviour. Do you believe that all Muslims are killers?

In this case: Although you do not have any accurate information you just assume that the Munich killer has a Muslim name and accuse the media to have suppressed this name. As far as I can see and gather from the information available in German, the media have not been suppressing this name but have been giving his correct name as printed on his passport.
Some however have added the 'Ali' that he supposedly used on Facebook.

Unless you can come up with a proper proof that his name actually was 'Ali' and not 'David' I can only treat your view as biased and based on anti-muslim prejudice.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No. It is to judge people based on their faith, not on their behaviour. Do you believe that all Muslims are killers?

In this case: Although you do not have any accurate information you just assume that the Munich killer has a Muslim name and accuse the media to have suppressed this name. As far as I can see and gather from the information available in German, the media have not been suppressing this name but have been giving his correct name as printed on his passport.
Some however have added the 'Ali' that he supposedly used on Facebook.

Unless you can come up with a proper proof that his name actually was 'Ali' and not 'David' I can only treat your view as biased and based on anti-muslim prejudice.

No one determines your name on FB except you; therefore, if he calls himself Ali, he is Ali, a Muslim killer, witnesses heard shout, "ala crowbar"

Upvote 0

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
No one determines your name on FB except you; therefore, if he calls himself Ali, he is Ali, a Muslim killer, witnesses heard shout, "ala crowbar"

Oh yes, and there have never ever been cases when people used names on FB which weren't their actual names, right? When I change my name on FB to Barack Obama, does that make me Barack Obama?

Only one witness reported he shouted something of that sort, whereas all the others in the restaurant and the street around him (and there were MANY people) strangely did not hear anything like it. And don't forget the discussion he had with the guy from the balcony. Nothing of Islam or Allah was mentioned at all. Instead, the killer claimed to be 'German'. We now know he was proud to be 'arian' and 'German' and not Arab or Turkish.

You want him to be Ali, the Muslim killer, right? Bu since you are not willing to judge objectively I won't waste my time with it.

EOD.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Oh yes, and there have never ever been cases when people used names on FB which weren't their actual names, right? When I change my name on FB to Barack Obama, does that make me Barack Obama?

Now your desire to be an apologist for Islam is showing. The above is quite a reach.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
IT"S BEEN EDITED NOW. I grabbed that before it was. Please do not suggest, infer, or directly say that I am a liar.
And yet despite your request they did just that. Don't let anyone take you out of your peace of mind over this.:hug: There are plenty of sites that refer to the edit that was done. BBC even omitted his full name in the streamer. Which isn't done when a news agency wants to catch attentions to a full story. When they edited they forgot to add the Ali to that streamer. Your point is then made by BBC's own streamer. Or, headline, that omits the Ali in his full name. :)

The reason full names are given in mass murder reporting cases like this is to insure no one else with just a similar first and last name is made to appear to be the principal in the report.
For example, John Smith did this and that. How many John Smiths could people know? But, John Wilson Smith, is specific. That's why when you hear reported serial killers names they're always to include the full name. If they have a middle name that is.

Upvote 0