PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Ok, I took the time to read the entire article. It is an excellent piece. I agree with it 100%.

Now I've read the negative comments on this thread, but not one person addressed the substance of the article. Just some name calling and such. If you think Gibbs is wrong, please respectfully point it out. Lose the emotion and snark. Just state your cases against the piece objectively and logically. I'd really like to hear what people have to say.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Ok, I took the time to read the entire article. It is an excellent piece. I agree with it 100%.

Now I've read the negative comments on this thread, but not one person addressed the substance of the article. Just some name calling and such. If you think Gibbs is wrong, please respectfully point it out. Lose the emotion and snark. Just state your cases against the piece objectively and logically. I'd really like to hear what people have to say.
I consider the quote
as an emotional appeal to the article.

Can we please lose the emotion and add some fact and structure?

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Explain yourself. What did Gibbs say that you think is crazy talk. Be specific. Point to the article, quote it, and explain why you think he's wrong.

I was being sarcastic.

Unfortunately, a good percentage of the U.S. population believes that you should be able to resist arrest, spit on law enforcement personnel, run from them, fight with them and break all kinds of other laws with no repercussions whatsoever.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I was being sarcastic.

Unfortunately, a good percentage of the U.S. population believes that you should be able to resist arrest, spit on law enforcement personnel, run from them, fight with them and break all kinds of other laws with no repercussions whatsoever.

This is true.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with much of what is said in this article. However, the author ignores several recent shootings of black men by police that appear to be entirely unjustified. Phil Castile and Gregg Gunn appear to be such shootings. The vast majority of police are good people who do their job and put their lives at risk. A small handful--and I do mean a very small handful--are bad people who should not be police. I wish the author had included a paragraph addressing such people.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with much of what is said in this article. However, the author ignores several recent shootings of black men by police that appear to be entirely unjustified. Phil Castile and Gregg Gunn appear to be such shootings. The vast majority of police are good people who do their job and put their lives at risk. A small handful--and I do mean a very small handful--are bad people who should not be police. I wish the author had included a paragraph addressing such people.

We all agree that some cops are bad. What we can't assume is that they were motivated by racism. If cops unjustifiably shoot and/or kill someone, we need due process, don't we? Would we like the worst assumed of us? They deserve to be innocent until proven guilty, like the rest of Americans.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We all agree that some cops are bad. What we can't assume is that they were motivated by racism. If cops unjustifiably shoot and/or kill someone, we need due process, don't we? Would we like the worst assumed of us? They deserve to be innocent until proven guilty, like the rest of Americans.
I don't believe that I said that these police did not deserve due process, only that the killing of these particular black men appeared to be unjustified. As to whether it was justified is for a judge and/or jury to decide, not me. Other than my suggested addition you won't get an argument from me on this particular article. I agree with most of what he said, he just failed to mention that there are a few bad cops out there, and that some of these shootings were apparently not justified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I was being sarcastic.

ahhh, my bad then. I agree.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was being sarcastic.

You can run from them. You can spit on them. You'll catch extra charges, but those aren't death sentences. If a guy spit on me--a non-cop--I don't have the right to blow him away, and neither do the police. I'd go to jail for shooting the guy in the face. The cop should likewise go to jail for doing the same.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can run from them. You can spit on them. You'll catch extra charges, but those aren't death sentences. If a guy spit on me--a non-cop--I don't have the right to blow him away, and neither do the police. I'd go to jail for shooting the guy in the face. The cop should likewise go to jail for doing the same.

You need to read more carefully ... or kick the hyperbole addiction - not sure which.

Upvote 0

Circle Christ

TrueLuv: Jesus died-4-U Knowing you may not care
Feb 25, 2016
Missionary
✟2,411.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great article. The media slant on stories draws the readers into the direction the media wants to instigate in a community. Evil bad police are racists and all black people are under threat because cops exist.

But the record of some of those who have made headlines of late doesn't show choir boys obeying orders. And that is the one thing that causes issues for any citizen stopped by police. Attitude, non-compliance, they fight, or whatever, the officer that is stopping them.
There's never been a report where a cop picks a random person and just walks up and beats them down. Or shoots them.
And then when they try to out-tough a cop and get the brunt of pepper spray, or whatever it is depending on the level of resistance that person showed, it's the cops fault. And the citizen is the poor victim.

The Washington Post
I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me.
It’s not the police, but the people they stop, who can prevent a detention from turning into a tragedy. By Sunil Dutta August 19, 2014

The Matt Walsh Blog
August 11, 2014

Police officers aren’t the ones destroying the black community
Matt Walsh

1) Hating all cops because some of them are abusive isn’t any more justifiable than hating all black people because some of them protested an officer involved shooting by burning down their own neighborhood.

Upvote 0