Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
MODESTY! There are tons of "modesty" threads on CF, and I've contributed to many of them.
The true meaning of modesty is humility or not boasting. It does not mean "covering skin"!
Do you think also that some people can remove their dental floss swimwear - for example - and be boastful thereafter about the state that they are now visibly in?

(This would also be a perspective that some Christians might cite with caution.)

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think also that some people can remove their dental floss swimwear - for example - and be boastful thereafter about the state that they are now visibly in?

(This would also be a perspective that some Christians might cite with caution.)

Certainly! There are some astoundingly beautiful ladies out there, and some great-looking guys too.
For them, (true) modesty might well include covering their bodies, but it would also include "covering" their attitudes.

I personally don't consider having a good-looking body to be boasting, unless their attitude supports it.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Certainly! There are some astoundingly beautiful ladies out there, and some great-looking guys too.
For them, (true) modesty might well include covering their bodies, but it would also include "covering" their attitudes.

I personally don't consider having a good-looking body to be boasting, unless their attitude supports it.
You see, some ppl would say that removing both parts of a bikini in public can amount to boasting about what this would reveal.

(I do recognize that toplessness has been a widespread feature of European beaches for decades; and would not quite be regarded in the same vein as naturism.)

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You see, some ppl would say that removing both parts of a bikini in public can amount to boasting about what this would reveal.

(I do recognize that toplessness has been a widespread feature of European beaches for decades; and would not quite be regarded in the same vein as naturism.)

As I'm sure you know, toplessness has less acceptance in the USA than in Canada and Europe, but it's secretly more popular here than most believe...

As to removing all or part of a swimsuit, some would say it's boasting. But does the person strut around, showing off their "perfect bod"? Probably not. Many guys and most women have an excessively harsh opinion of their body.

If a person does it for sexual "teasing" of others, I can see some justified objection.
But where do we draw the line there? Must women all wear burkas to avoid tempting men?
(another over-discussed topic on CF)
Personally, I don't think so. What she wears (or doesn't) is her responsibility.
How I react to it is mine.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I'm sure you know, toplessness has less acceptance in the USA than in Canada and Europe, but it's secretly more popular here than most believe...

As to removing all or part of a swimsuit, some would say it's boasting. But does the person strut around, showing off their "perfect bod"? Probably not. Many guys and most women have an excessively harsh opinion of their body.

If a person does it for sexual "teasing" of others, I can see some justified objection.
But where do we draw the line there? Must women all wear burkas to avoid tempting men?
(another over-discussed topic on CF)
Personally, I don't think so. What she wears (or doesn't) is her responsibility.
How I react to it is mine.
The narrative used to be many decades ago: a one piece is more modest than a bikini. Now if the top part of a bikini is worn, this is regarded as modest.

I'm not sure how edifying it is to focus on these changing narratives, but they do seem to exist in a state of flux and change over the decades.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The narrative used to be many decades ago: a one piece is more modest than a bikini. Now if the top part of a bikini is worn, this is regarded as modest.

I'm not sure how edifying it is to focus on these changing narrative, but they do seem to exist in a state of flux and change over the decades.

Sometimes the changing narratives eventually contradict each other.

My country-girl mother had to wear skirts as a kid; she was forbidden to wear pants.
But, pants covered more than a skirt, especially when riding a horse.

My family and I used to go to a Christian camp every summer. They had a strict rule that ladies must wear a "modest 1-piece swimsuit". Any female showing up in a 2-piece suit was given a T-shirt to wear over it.

I guess they never heard of "wet T-shirt contests"...

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They had a strict rule that ladies must wear a "modest 1-piece swimsuit". Any female showing up in a 2-piece suit was given a T-shirt to wear over it.
Well, now if young women wear both parts of their 2-piece it would be generally regarded as modest. Some Christians might question whether removing the top part on the beach was modest.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, now if young women wear both parts of their 2-piece it would be generally regarded as modest. Some Christians might question whether removing the top part on the beach was modest.

Indeed; I would have no "modesty" issues with anyone removing top or bottom, but that's me...

I SO wanted to emerge from the changing room nude, and announce "This is my modest one-piece suit!", but the place was expensive, and I didn't want to get us kicked out. :eek:

Upvote 0